Thread: Yukon photon 5x42

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonka60 View Post
    I'm not as impressed with this as some. Air Gunners at 12 ftlbs aren't shooting much further out than 50 yrds. and usually less than 40, at this range its a demon to focus. And needs constant re focusing. Trying to focus with your left hand while trying to keep on on target is a nightmare. Well the back's agony after last night ! I honestly think that this would be best suited to FAC shooters who are shooting 50+ yards as normal unfortunately the magnification is only 5 x so at distance the "dot " is the size of the rabbits head. I'm afraid I think its overated.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there Tonka - and I wish I had thought that one out. I too found it isn't so much of a problem at longer ranges. I've made some plastic friction fit "aperture caps" to experiment with different hole sizes and will make them available when I find the ideal compromise between focus field improvement and low light losses. Meanwhile a diy guy could make something out of a flip up lens cover.

At the beginning of this video I could not get the photon to remain in even reasonable focus with any movement of the focus wheel. With the reduced aperture I was able to move the coaster knob on the focus wheel nearly half an inch and remain 'almost focused'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-BxiP63MQ
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

they are pants,
    sorted

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there Tonka - and I wish I had thought that one out. I too found it isn't so much of a problem at longer ranges. I've made some plastic friction fit "aperture caps" to experiment with different hole sizes and will make them available when I find the ideal compromise between focus field improvement and low light losses. Meanwhile a diy guy could make something out of a flip up lens cover.

At the beginning of this video I could not get the photon to remain in even reasonable focus with any movement of the focus wheel. With the reduced aperture I was able to move the coaster knob on the focus wheel nearly half an inch and remain 'almost focused'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-BxiP63MQ
    Hi some bloke,Give me a shout when you find the right flip-up for photon ,i will have one from you please.cheers.
    rgds stubbs4612

Quote Originally Posted by stubbs4612 View Post
    Hi some bloke,Give me a shout when you find the right flip-up for photon ,i will have one from you please.cheers.
    rgds stubbs4612
    Sure will my 'ansome, I got your payment for the one on epay but have not re-listed it yet. I was expecting my Photon back from TJ's yesterday but they had kept it to check for intermittent faults and are posting it back tomorrow. Seems the noise I could hear when adjusting the focus was the seal - and is normal.

Also seems the very tight almost in focus at low ranges is completely normal and to be expected.

Given that this type of device is basically a camera with a screen and reticle behind it, it might be helpful to consider it like one. Decent camera's have an adjustable iris to control the light intake but that would have placed the photon at a much higher price. A modest £20 or so fixed iris placed on the front of it is no big expense, something with a bigger hole than the one it was supplied with.

I'll probably be making the fixed lens 'iris smaller than originally thought, perhaps making some for air ranges with smaller holes, and bigger for HMR ranges.
    I think centrefire users will all be using doublers to get the quarry image larger in proportion to the size of the centre dot of the reticle, whilst being far enough away from the target to avoid acquisition issues.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    Sure will my 'ansome, I got your payment for the one on epay but have not re-listed it yet. I was expecting my Photon back from TJ's yesterday but they had kept it to check for intermittent faults and are posting it back tomorrow. Seems the noise I could hear when adjusting the focus was the seal - and is normal.

Also seems the very tight almost in focus at low ranges is completely normal and to be expected.

Given that this type of device is basically a camera with a screen and reticle behind it, it might be helpful to consider it like one. Decent camera's have an adjustable iris to control the light intake but that would have placed the photon at a much higher price. A modest £20 or so fixed iris placed on the front of it is no big expense, something with a bigger hole than the one it was supplied with.

I'll probably be making the fixed lens 'iris smaller than originally thought, perhaps making some for air ranges with smaller holes, and bigger for HMR ranges.
    I think centrefire users will all be using doublers to get the quarry image larger in proportion to the size of the centre dot of the reticle, whilst being far enough away from the target to avoid acquisition issues.
    yes mate i saw the one,s on e-b-y after i pm,d you about the filter,i still want one by the way.
    rgds stubbs4612

Thought I would add to this rather than start another thread...

I've had mine for a 6-7 weeks now. Its got the doubler and a 55mm 850nm filter behind the cover and a coaster fitted for focal adjustment; all I can say is its excellent for the money. With a NM800Ir on top its seeing 300 yrds at night with no excessive eye reflection/bloom at any range (other than litterally right infront of me!) and is perfectly usable to around 100yrds during the day (obviously no way near as clear as a normal scope but I shot a nice 10p size group at 100yrds using it).

Mounted it on my 22lr for the initial trials as I didnt want to disturb my 17Rem setup but its now coming off the rimmie and onto the 17 until next spring. I havent bothered using the IR as the dot is very clear to pick up. So all in all I'm a happy bunny. With my bresser/t20 and photon/NM I have an effective NV setup for around £700.

Bargain IMO.
    If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.....

[QUOTE=jordang;6195649]Thought I would add to this rather than start another thread...

I've had mine for a 6-7 weeks now. Its got the doubler and a 55mm 850nm filter behind the cover and a coaster fitted for focal adjustment; all I can say is its excellent for the money. With a NM800Ir on top its seeing 300 yrds at night with no excessive eye reflection/bloom at any range (other than litterally right infront of me!) and is perfectly usable to around 100yrds during the day (obviously no way near as clear as a normal scope but I shot a nice 10p size group at 100yrds using it).

Mounted it on my 22lr for the initial trials as I didnt want to disturb my 17Rem setup but its now coming off the rimmie and onto the 17 until next spring. I havent bothered using the IR as the dot is very clear to pick up. So all in all I'm a happy bunny. With my bresser/t20 and photon/NM I have an effective NV setup for around £700.

Bargain

Same as me.glad you like it,i do too..Bresser,Photon..Nite Tek T20's....and don't bother with the IR either....no bloom or any weirdness to me either.

Shot a few in the day with it...no problem....yes it's not HDTV Plasma Widescreen....but none of the digital units i have seen are that much better either....

Bargain x2......unlike some armchair warriors..some shooters actually get to use them to the max..and get on well with them.

Buy a N750 for your airgun .... that means you wasted £1200 to do the same thing as me for £400...totally unnecessary on any airgun...they are meant for bullet guns.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

[QUOTE=MrGreengrass;6211668]
    Quote Originally Posted by jordang View Post
    Thought I would add to this rather than start another thread...

Bargain

Same as me.glad you like it,i do too..Bresser,Photon..Nite Tek T20's....and don't bother with the IR either....no bloom or any weirdness to me either.

Shot a few in the day with it...no problem....yes it's not HDTV Plasma Widescreen....but none of the digital units i have seen are that much better either....

Bargain x2......unlike some armchair warriors..some shooters actually get to use them to the max..and get on well with them.

Buy a N750 for your airgun .... that means you wasted £1200 to do the same thing as me for £400...totally unnecessary on any airgun...they are meant for bullet guns.
    At least you can see clearly through an N750, I would say the Photons are that bad they are unsafe and no I am not an armchair warrior I have owned and used both units and the N750 is worth 3 times the money.