Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
the chamber isn't that different? in that case my .308 homeloads would work in Boydy47's .308 ? even though he has pressure signs 2-3 grns before I do!
if you decided to use a high load based on Quickload you may fall foul of a tight chamber, the old way of working a load up is the way forward, the OP was trying to short circuit part of that process,
I just believe in this case that a manual is as good a way to decide on a starting point as any.
As to prescision shooting, its not for me, I shoot mainly off of sticks or a ruck, or the roof of a truck at fast moving targets after having my ribs and kidneys asaulted by the terrain! minute of rabbit works for me
There's more to pressure signs than tight or loose chambers. If the bullet is seated touching the lands on one rifle, but another has a longer throat, then the one touching is going to show pressure signs where the other won't. I agree completely that to work up a load, you need to go shoot it. I said that in an earlier post. Like you, I also shoot game with my rifle but like to hone my skills on long range steels. Aim small, hit small.

Not so sure about shooting fast moving targets off the roof of a truck though, I'll leave that to you. 😉

Jonathan.