Thread: Ruger American Rim-fire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by verminatormjc View Post
    I have a Ruger American and I love it too, also you can use the bx25 mags too
    Actually one of the reasons I dismissed most other 22's was because of the magazine sticking out interfering with my grip

ruger

I have the 10/22 carbine stainless steel and synthetic stock and mod, magic.

Quote Originally Posted by billm View Post
    I have the 10/22 carbine stainless steel and synthetic stock and mod, magic.
    Very good, but a totally different rifle from the American bolt action of this review thread.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I like the look of the RAR but the eye watering prices being asked for what should be quite a cheap gun would put me off. The Sportsman are listing the 18" threaded version of the RAR at £515. The Ruger list price in the US for this version is $389 and they can be had for $320. The Sportsmans price for a CZ455 16" threaded synthetic stock version is £355.

I've read a lot of US users opinions on Rimfire Central and the general consensus seems to be that the RAR isn't quite as good as a CZ 455 but "what do you expect for $40 to $50 less". In the UK however the RAR (based on the Sportsman's prices) is £160 more expensive than the CZ so, unless better discounts are available, I can't see many being sold over here. Shame, as it looks like a well designed rifle.

If semi auto rifles were to be banned I could see a lot of us 10/22 users, doing mini rifle type events, turning to the RAR in droves as as the existing 25 round mags could still be used.

Quote Originally Posted by IanSea View Post
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I like the look of the RAR but the eye watering prices being asked for what should be quite a cheap gun would put me off. The Sportsman are listing the 18" threaded version of the RAR at £515. The Ruger list price in the US for this version is $389 and they can be had for $320. The Sportsmans price for a CZ455 16" threaded synthetic stock version is £355.

I've read a lot of US users opinions on Rimfire Central and the general consensus seems to be that the RAR isn't quite as good as a CZ 455 but "what do you expect for $40 to $50 less". In the UK however the RAR (based on the Sportsman's prices) is £160 more expensive than the CZ so, unless better discounts are available, I can't see many being sold over here. Shame, as it looks like a well designed rifle.

If semi auto rifles were to be banned I could see a lot of us 10/22 users, doing mini rifle type events, turning to the RAR in droves as as the existing 25 round mags could still be used.
    I paid £395, from the Country Sports Shop, Kingsteignton, they ordered it in for me, sale or return.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I paid £395, from the Country Sports Shop, Kingsteignton, they ordered it in for me, sale or return.
    Thanks. That sounds like a much more sensible price!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Actually one of the reasons I dismissed most other 22's was because of the magazine sticking out interfering with my grip
    Well I don't hold the rifle that far back, but you can use the 10 shot mag, or the bx15? Still more rounds then most other 22's
    Sako A7.270,b14hmr 6.5cm,Weatherby vanguard.223,Browningt-bolt.17hmr,Ruger American.22l,M1903 30/06,Marlin.44 and a fireball throwing m44

Quote Originally Posted by verminatormjc View Post
    Well I don't hold the rifle that far back, but you can use the 10 shot mag, or the bx15? Still more rounds then most other 22's
    I don't hold them that far back either but the longer mags on most rifles dig in to my wrist / forearm so I have to twist my wrist so my arm is down the side which I find less stable.