Thread: Rip Off Britain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    You will certainly be liable for VAT for any import from USA plus another £10 for the privilege of having it delivered by Parcelforce.
    Imports from EU have already had VAT charged at source.

Ian
    Cheers Ian

I know VAT is reclaimable from EU countries but couldn't be sure if imports from the US were taxed without logging into the Gateway.

With VAT and Parcelforce you can soon see where the extra money goes.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Cheers Ian

I know VAT is reclaimable from EU countries but couldn't be sure if imports from the US were taxed without logging into the Gateway.

With VAT and Parcelforce you can soon see where the extra money goes.

All the best Mick
    I've bought a few old pistols from USA, but its only worth doing if they are not readily available within the EU, as dollars very soon equates to pounds.

I've had some good bargains from Germany .

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    I've bought a few old pistols from USA, but its only worth doing if they are not readily available within the EU, as dollars very soon equates to pounds.

I've had some good bargains from Germany .

Ian
    The most extreme case I found was seeing a brand new FAS 604 in a sports shop while holidaying in Amalfi Italy last summer....
    Currently available here through Checkmate at £530, I was stunned to see it going at 300 Euro. Just couldn't risk getting it confiscated driving back.

Gun Prices - It's for Your Own Good

It is not practical to compare prices in the US with the UK for three reasons:
    1) Dealers in the US reach a much larger audience using mail order, whereas in the UK the VCR Act obliges dealers generally to trade face to face.
    2) US dealers can order large quantities to readily sell by mail order (maybe directly from the factory), whereas UK sellers probably buy a few at a time from importers/distributors that add a considerable mark up on prices.
    3) Shipping distances are different.
    Prices in the US perhaps indicate the cost from the factory. If Pyramid Air sell the CP99 Compact for $65 (£43), then assuming deductions for profit margin, shipping and taxes; might suggest around £25 from the factory! Amazon.com charge $75 +$7 domestic shipping (£55).
    Costs about £120 + £20 local transfer fee in the UK....but its for our own good.

Update: $70 in store at Wallmart in the US (£43 @ current exchange). Cheapest in the UK is £120 + £10 Transfer fee to local shop + £25 colletion fee at local shop = £155; now that is taking the ?!$$ for a BB gun.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 30-12-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Update added

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    It is not practical to compare prices in the US with the UK for three reasons:
    1) Dealers in the US reach a much larger audience using mail order, whereas in the UK the VCR Act obliges dealers generally to trade face to face.
    2) US dealers can order large quantities to readily sell by mail order (maybe directly from the factory), whereas UK sellers probably buy a few at a time from importers/distributors that add a considerable mark up on prices.
    3) Shipping distances are different.
    Prices in the US perhaps indicate the cost from the factory. If Pyramid Air sell the CP99 Compact for $65 (£43), then assuming deductions for profit margin, shipping and taxes; might suggest around £25 from the factory! Amazon.com charge $75 +$7 domestic shipping (£55).
    Costs about £120 + £20 local transfer fee in the UK....but its for our own good.

Update: $70 in store at Wallmart in the US (£43 @ current exchange). Cheapest in the UK is £120 + £10 Transfer fee to local shop + £25 colletion fee at local shop = £155; now that is taking the ?!$$ for a BB gun.
    tbf, even before the VCR act, when guns could be sent by mail order, they were still much more expensive here than in the US or even much of europe.