Quote Originally Posted by Tonka60 View Post
I'm not as impressed with this as some. Air Gunners at 12 ftlbs aren't shooting much further out than 50 yrds. and usually less than 40, at this range its a demon to focus. And needs constant re focusing. Trying to focus with your left hand while trying to keep on on target is a nightmare. Well the back's agony after last night ! I honestly think that this would be best suited to FAC shooters who are shooting 50+ yards as normal unfortunately the magnification is only 5 x so at distance the "dot " is the size of the rabbits head. I'm afraid I think its overated.
I think you have hit the nail on the head there Tonka - and I wish I had thought that one out. I too found it isn't so much of a problem at longer ranges. I've made some plastic friction fit "aperture caps" to experiment with different hole sizes and will make them available when I find the ideal compromise between focus field improvement and low light losses. Meanwhile a diy guy could make something out of a flip up lens cover.

At the beginning of this video I could not get the photon to remain in even reasonable focus with any movement of the focus wheel. With the reduced aperture I was able to move the coaster knob on the focus wheel nearly half an inch and remain 'almost focused'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-BxiP63MQ