Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Most underrated air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Webley Eclipse. Always seems to get upstaged by the Omega and is discussed very little. Every bit as good as the Superstar in my opinion and massively underrated in general.

Oh and I'll throw another vote in for the B2. Gets a lot a flack when people compare it to their HW but it costs £30. Must be the best value rifle ever and all people do is criticise it!

Cheers
    Greg
    Never owned an Eclipse, but, really? Long TP, clunky loading, odd alloy cylinder, and never liked the handling of the ones I've held. Omega is far better, and Superstar has fewer issues. And neither compare to a 77.

Sort of jokily agree on the B2. The same could apply though to any inexpensive Webley, BSA, Milbro, Diana
    , Relum, or Baikal IJ38.

As this isn't a springer thread, a mention for the Crosman 760 or indeed the Daisy 95. Costs nothing, has started many US shooters on their careers. But not sure they are underrated. As opposed to rated.

Sharp innova, more plastic than anything, but for most people..a first taste of easily achievable single hole groups

For me it's the Phoenix mkii and fast fire. They are British made, reliable and accurate. They also dare to be different and teir lever action is the most fun way of cycling a PCP. I've always thought they deserve more kudos.
    Last edited by oneseven; 29-12-2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Fixing typos

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Westlake B2, got more people into the sport than any other gun....
    put me off airguns tbh

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

Maybe a few years ago but now the B2 can still be had for under £50 new! They are virtually disposable.

The first air rifle I bought was a B2 in the man's calibre of .22, bought new for £39!
    Nope, I'm still with Pete aka look no hands as the BSA Meteor has sold in its millions in Europe, and turned millions on to air gunning, too, whereas I would be surprised if the B2 (Westlake or SMK) has even moved a mere fraction of that number on in Europe, and I for one can also name two regular air gun shooters who were so turned off by the simply dreadful performance of the B2, that had I not then realigned them with the Edgar Bros 60s (a fantastic budget entry-level rifle) to get them enthusiastic about our sport, would probably have stayed as course fishermen with a Webley Tempest a piece for occasional tin can plinking between casts.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    For me it's the Phoenix mkii and fast fire. They are British made, reliable and accurate. They also dare to be different and tbeir lever action is the most fun way of cycling a PCP. I've always thought they deserve a more kudos.
    Speaking of more Kudos I’ve always thought the Ripley Elite got overlooked by many.

Some might say it wasn’t a proper Ripper even if it was made to blueprints.

I've always found them to be an excellent well built pcp.

There getting fairly rare now even though I’ve previously owned 3 of them

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Nope, I'm still with Pete aka look no hands as the BSA Meteor has sold in its millions in Europe, and turned millions on to air gunning, too, whereas I would be surprised if the B2 (Westlake or SMK) has even moved a mere fraction of that number on in Europe, and I for one can also name two regular air gun shooters who were so turned off by the simply dreadful performance of the B2, that had I not then realigned them with the Edgar Bros 60s (a fantastic budget entry-level rifle) to get them enthusiastic about our sport, would probably have stayed as course fishermen with a Webley Tempest a piece for occasional tin can plinking between casts.
    Err, so by default, as per my post as above, I also hereby nominate the Edgar Bros 60s & 55s (60s is the .22 and the 55s the .177) along with the aforementioned BSA Meteor (in either cal) as un-sung air rifles (in their fields), too.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Ok, agreed. The Meteor, and the various Webley/Milbro junior rifles, and the German Diana ones (my favourites) are of course far better than the Chinese B2/B3/sidelevers. Or the Panther/IGI/Gun Toys RO71/72. Or the Gat and copies. But are they underrated, or accepted for what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Ok, agreed. The Meteor, and the various Webley/Milbro junior rifles, and the German Diana ones (my favourites) are of course far better than the Chinese B2/B3/sidelevers. Or the Panther/IGI/Gun Toys RO71/72. Or the Gat and copies. But are they underrated, or accepted for what they are?
    Hmmmm ... As with your comment about the Original/Diana MOD 45 .20 on this thread earlier, you raise a good point, which in essence, can only really be answered and/or satisfied by the interpretation of the individual reader. For whereas I accept (and like) your take and comments on the MOD 45, I personally think the importance of the humble Meteor et al, is frequently over looked, but that is my own personal perception, and -- as stated -- the perception of another may vary considerably in this arena, and to them, be equally as valid as my take on it is to me, no?

The only caveat I will attach to the above, however, is that I, as always, am the one who is right lol.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    34 series to some extent are under rated. The 45 is forgotten by some and underappreciated by most.
    The Anschutz is under rated but it should have had its faults ironed out before release. You would expect that from a maker like Anschutz.
    It's hard to say that the Diana 34 is underrated when you look at its popularity with airgunners in the rest of the world, especially in america where its highly rated and even if you ask any respected tuner in this country the 34 is rated.

The 45 is let down a bit by that trigger pin in the stock but it was still better than the FWB124 with its solid lock up and it was the first magnum springer before the 80.

I don't think that the Anschutz is underrated and as already been said its only liked because its a Anschutz.

I sometimes think that the idea of concealed underlever springers is underrated and should be taken more seriously by manufactures

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Webley Eclipse. Always seems to get upstaged by the Omega and is discussed very little. Every bit as good as the Superstar in my opinion and massively underrated in general.

Oh and I'll throw another vote in for the B2. Gets a lot a flack when people compare it to their HW but it costs £30. Must be the best value rifle ever and all people do is criticise it!

Cheers
    Greg
    I would also go with the Webley Eclipse !
    I had a Mk. 1 in .22 Caliber and used it for rabbits. It was very good. I liked it's balance and it was not too heavy having an alloy cylinder. It also looked good and was well made despite the hinged breech loading system being a little unusual but it worked fine !
    A much under rated air rifle !
    “An airgun or two”………

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    the B2 put me off airguns tbh
    I think this is the case. It is a below-standard tool that cannot shoot well without 20 hours work on it, feels and looks horrible and denies the joy of precision which is the essence of shooting a rifle. Like learning to play tennis with a pound-shop frying pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think this is the case. It is a below-standard tool that cannot shoot well without 20 hours work on it, feels and looks horrible and denies the joy of precision which is the essence of shooting a rifle. Like learning to play tennis with a pound-shop frying pan.
    Yes some of that is true, liking the analogy there too BUT...it's a full power rifle that can be bought brand new for £34.99, what do you want for the money?

The B2 was my first rifle when I was 11. At the time, my joy was shooting holes in bean tins down the garden, and I can assure you the B2 did a grand job. I was happy but think my dad realised it wasn't up to much and got me a Meteor a few weeks later.

It baffles me that people can knock it for what it costs. So, I think it is underrated in that sense.

Cheers
    Greg

The early HW50,it had the same size internals as the HW55 but hardly got a mention back in the day.

Another +1 for the Eclipse

I think the transfer port is much less of any issue than people think. Especially if you get the chance to actually shoot one. I shot my mk1 Eclipse and mk1 77 side by side (both in .22) and there wasn't as much between them as the internet would have you believe. The 77 did shoot nicer but the eclipse was just as accurate and I really liked the loading port. Shouldn't have sold it really