Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i have triple 7 too but didnt fare too well with it wether it was me or my loading with it as i couldnt quite get it right without compressing.
    chap at club as perfected it with 2 of his bp pistols......gets good groups at 25 yards with round ball.
    might have another bash with it but shooting bp revolvers indoors gets some members moaning.
    too much noise and smoke lol
    This has been an interesting post which has hopefully clarified the uses of the different types of powder granulation in muzzle loading firearms.
    Without wishing to muddy the waters, I thought I would just outline my own experiences with the use of BP substitutes and smokeless conversions.
    I turned to muzzle loading revolvers following the 1997 breech loading pistol ban as a means of continuing with the sport I’ve been involved with for over forty years.
    As I live in a flat and had concerns with the storage requirements associated black powder, I used Pyrodex P substitute. This worked fine, but the the gun needed to be cleaned almost immediately after shooting due to the highly corrosive deposits present after shooting. When Hodgdon 777 appeared on the market this aspect notably improved with much less residue being apparent after shooting. I’m not sure if this is due to the lack of sulphur in 777, but cleaning now only takes as long as it would with a breech loading firearm. When the club I use lost their outdoor range facility, we adapted our indoor range to include large (pistol calibre) rifles and nitro conversion revolvers, but unfortunately the ventilation wasn’t up to the use of black powder firearms. Although I prefer shooting outdoors and have since found another club with a an outdoor range, I thought it would be nice to be able to occasionally shoot indoors, especially during the winter months. As I’m not a purist and had a Ruger Old Army which is already a modern design, I had it converted and proofed to use smokeless powder. Now I have the best of both worlds and can use either 777 outdoors or a large flake smokeless powder when shooting indoors. As I dispense and carefully weigh my smokeless loads, I decided to do the same with 777 substitute. Experimentation resulted in a weighed charge of 13grns of 777 behind a lubricated wad and a .457 round ball being the most accurate and comfortable to shoot. The equivalent smokeless load is 4.5grns of Herco with no wadding and an Alox lubricated .457 round ball. Another advantage with the conversion is the ability to use 209 shotgun primers which are not only easier to fit, but cost less than conventional percussion caps. Although it’s good practice to clean a gun as soon as possible after use, using smokeless powder removes the immediacy of the cleaning process when this is not convenient.
    I can fully understand a preference by many to use only traditional original or reproduction firearms and consumables, but I believe there is always room for those who have adapted in order to continue shooting the disciplines they once enjoyed before restrictive legislation intervened.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 20-07-2020 at 01:14 PM.