View Poll Results: Which for a farmyard barn gun?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll

33 51.56%

31 48.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 or .25??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Get a .25 barrel for a HW99 or 95 that you've already purchased in .22 - switch the barrels when you're going for 'big game'
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Get a .25 barrel for a HW99 or 95 that you've already purchased in .22 - switch the barrels when you're going for 'big game'
    Mmm, I thought I'd collected all I 'needed' but now I'm getting a hard on for a .25: So.... I've got a HW95 I want to leave as it is, should I get a 99 in .22 and change the barrel or, is there an 'out of the box' (or s/h equivalent) springer that would fit the bill for short range ratting (haven't got any rats but Jees, you never know when you might have)
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

If only Carl had had a .25.

Poor lad.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    If only Carl had had a .25.

Poor lad.
    ??!
    Did Roland get him?
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    ??!
    Did Roland get him?
    Well, Rhys.

He's not been on for a while, so purely conjecture, but..
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    ??!
    Did Roland get him?
    Sadly, we may never know. A bit like who was Jack the Ripper and where is Lord Lucan
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

.25 ball round

I kid you not .....this is the real deal....i once had a .25 barrelled Webley Mark 2.....very rare to get in that caliber. Indeed the gun had 2 barrels but i sold the .177 barrel as it performed poorly on that gun and had suspect rifling.
    Anyway the tool was used on occasion for rats and the ball round passed clean through at about 8 paces or so , taking off the far side shoulder of one.
    I did not have a chrony back then but must have been up near 12.
    The ball rounds were later discontinued....i never did get my hands on the caledonians everyone raved about.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    I kid you not .....this is the real deal....i once had a .25 barrelled Webley Mark 2.....very rare to get in that caliber. Indeed the gun had 2 barrels but i sold the .177 barrel as it performed poorly on that gun and had suspect rifling.
    Anyway the tool was used on occasion for rats and the ball round passed clean through at about 8 paces or so , taking off the far side shoulder of one.
    I did not have a chrony back then but must have been up near 12.
    The ball rounds were later discontinued....i never did get my hands on the caledonians everyone raved about.
    I remember reading an article in one of the airgun mags some years ago about a chap with .25 Mark 2 Wobbly using balls on rats. Was it you?
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    I remember reading an article in one of the airgun mags some years ago about a chap with .25 Mark 2 Wobbly using balls on rats. Was it you?
    no it was not me.....but thankyou for verifying my claim of a .25 Webley.
    I mentioned it at my club about a year ago but nobody believed i had such a caliber version lol..
    The barrel was a good 24 inches long with big old fashioned rifling grooves....8 of them deep cut.
    I had a huge argument onetime with this prat that claimed rifling had no effect on ball round...in airguns or firearms.....how incredibly wrong he was....i could explain it to u if u wanted.

Been shooting airguns since mid 60's mainly .177 then bought a .22 for pest control in the 80's and never tried a .25 calibre until around 20 years ago , bought a falcon FN19 in .25 and love it , for short to medium range rat shooting with a lamp or night-vision I think the calibre is unbeatable in airgun power for rats so much so that I now have four air rifles in that calibre and would love a pistol in it for live catch traps , it is such a clean dispatch calibre with the right gun/pellet combo and pellet choice has improved dramatically as to what's available .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Mmm, I thought I'd collected all I 'needed' but now I'm getting a hard on for a .25: So.... I've got a HW95 I want to leave as it is, should I get a 99 in .22 and change the barrel or, is there an 'out of the box' (or s/h equivalent) springer that would fit the bill for short range ratting (haven't got any rats but Jees, you never know when you might have)
    I think SFS are doing a .25 HW99, not sure of price though - I wouldn't look any further than one of those if I were after a quarter bore springer.

Cheers, Craig.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I have a .25 put together by XTX. It's a scorpion action with an ultra barrel in a custom laminate stock. Very accurate and very consistent at 11.4 fpe. Zeroed at 30yds (also zero at 10yds). It needs a mildot for every 5 yds from the zero. 1 mildot down for 20yds. On the target range, it is good for out to 50yds, but as said, would not recommend hunting at over 30yds. I don't think I will ever part with it as it is just so much fun to shoot.

Oh dear, I think I want a .25 now Suppose I really should, having been shooting airguns for about 28 years and never owned one. Will have a shoot t of a few at the bash hopefully

I think SFS are doing a .25 HW99, not sure of price though - I wouldn't look any further than one of those if I were after a quarter bore springer.

Cheers, Craig.
    Thanks for that Craig. I'll have a Google.

I think SFS are doing a .25 HW99, not sure of price though .....
    I've just ordered a Snipe, a HW99 tuned .25. Around £395 mark. 14-16 week wait.