Thread: Post Office and Royal Mail

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson3392 View Post
    Hmmn, incorrect I'm afraid. A proportion of UK mail has to go by air. Some parts of Scotland (Highlands and Islands), Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Scillies and Northern Ireland for instance. Especially if RM 1st Class post and Special Delivery is used.

Just to add, post office staff have to accept what the customer tells them when asking about the contents. If the customer has a prohibited item, then it is refused. A restricted item can be accepted with appropriate labelling/ packaging. If the customer tells lies about the content then it's their responsibility. If the customer says 'the wrong thing or too much' at the post office, then it doesn't enter the system -simples!

I'm a postmaster and I deal with this sort of thing daily. Sigh.....
    I can understand the far reaches of the Scottish islands having to be reached by aircraft but everywhere else according to my pal goes by road. That would explain why there are multiple depot 'hubs' strategically placed across the country. Remember the fact that Britain is only a little country. Easy to get freight where it needs to be when you have LGV drivers willing to do the distance for only a score an hour
    Last edited by derekj; 16-07-2017 at 02:22 PM.