Thread: Britannia youtube vid is finally up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    You wanted your independence, mate. Blame George Washington.

Perhaps a bit of taxation without representation wouldn't have been so bad, after all.

Incidentally we only shoot at bowler hats (Darbies to you ) when they've been passed from father to son at least 3 times.

Only kidding. Without you lot we'd have had to finish all our own world wars.

ATB, Mick
    Have done that Ancestry DNA test and it looks like most of me came from Wales. I’m sure that’s where I picked up the Airgun gene?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Have done that Ancestry DNA test and it looks like most of me came from Wales. I’m sure that’s where I picked up the Airgun gene?
    Easily tested. How much do you like sheep?

Inspired by this video I got inside my Britannia to fix a dangerously light trigger caused by wear on the piston where it engages with the sear. I think with the exception of a tell2 it’s the easiest airgun I ever worked on.

In case of interest I found the butt plug, as it were, also has the serial number stamped on it, and my trigger Weight adjuster is different (and an inferior arrangement)to the one in the vid, the grub screw is set at an angle and had to be accessed, awkwardly from the side, with the trigger assembly to the rear in the fully cocked position. (This is on gun 1101). This does give an incentive not to go too far with the screw, unless you want to trigger the sear while the gun is open and get a smack in the chops!

Having had the piston out I can see why the trigger weight cannot easily be set for both power settings: the slots in the piston that the sear engages with are not necessarily the same depth or profile. For mine with the trigger set nicely for full power it is very heavy for half power. That makes sense because the rear (half power) slot seemed to be the deeper set, no doubt so that when the gun is fired at full power the piston passes easily over the withdrawn sear without re-engaging. Presumably if set nicely for half power then full power would be dangerously light, and I wonder if that is why they have the stop screw so that you can set it up so that it will not cock to full power when your trigger is set for half power use. ?
    Morally flawed

Quote,

Having had the piston out I can see why the trigger weight cannot easily be set for both power settings: the slots in the piston that the sear engages with are not necessarily the same depth or profile. For mine with the trigger set nicely for full power it is very heavy for half power. That makes sense because the rear (half power) slot seemed to be the deeper set, no doubt so that when the gun is fired at full power the piston passes easily over the withdrawn sear without re-engaging. Presumably if set nicely for half power then full power would be dangerously light, and I wonder if that is why they have the stop screw so that you can set it up so that it will not cock to full power when your trigger is set for half power use. ?.

Fully agree with above, having worked on one where it had either had a lot of use or, used on high power with low power trigger set wearing the sear contact edge to a radius making it dangerous, fortunately the sear is fully hardened and I was able to reface it.
    Well made, air rifle, very well made video, thanks Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Having had the piston out I can see why the trigger weight cannot easily be set for both power settings: the slots in the piston that the sear engages with are not necessarily the same depth or profile. For mine with the trigger set nicely for full power it is very heavy for half power. That makes sense because the rear (half power) slot seemed to be the deeper set, no doubt so that when the gun is fired at full power the piston passes easily over the withdrawn sear without re-engaging. Presumably if set nicely for half power then full power would be dangerously light, and I wonder if that is why they have the stop screw so that you can set it up so that it will not cock to full power when your trigger is set for half power use. ?
    Thats funny, it’s normally the opposite: with both piston slots the same depth it’s usually a much lighter trigger pull on low power.
    Maybe someone made your rifles low power slot deeper, to counteract the usual problem, and this reversed it and ended up with the trigger pull heavier on low power instead.

I read someone flipped the piston over and machined fresh slots on the other side of theirs, not sure if they fitted a hardened plate though.

I’ve shot the one DEVALI worked on and it shoots really nicely.

Worn cocking slots seem to be the main issue with surviving Britannia’s. I say just use them on full power. Duel power feature seems a bit of a gimmick to me.

Always worth trying to get them shooting well, I’m sure they appreciate it. 😊

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Easily tested. How much do you like sheep?
    By the time a person has pulled, and well before releasing the trigger, the piston is fully home and waiting for the next cocking cycle.
    There is no opportunity for the sear to foul the piston
    From the little that I know of the Brittania, the trigger sear screw sets the let off. The stop screw is to fix the cocking arc and eliminate passing on to full power when shooting inside or bell or such.

That your example is very heavy on low power may have more to do with the 'locking' angle of the sear and the piston slot face and that there is barely discernible wear on the high power slot?

About sheep. They are best enjoyed on the plate with mint sauce, veges and mashed spuds.
    Or, as I have heard it, out the back field wearing gumboots. The gumboots slow them down and make them easier to catch
    Last edited by slow_runner; 19-05-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Maybe someone made your rifles low power slot deeper, to counteract the usual problem, and this reversed it and ended up with the trigger pull heavier on low power instead.
    I suspect that may be it. It looked as if it had seen a file. But then as I was tickling the slots myself with a needle file to correct the spontaneous discharge I may just have got a slight angle on full power that’s not there on half.

Anyway it’s running nicely now and as you say, I’m just going to use it on full power and not mess about unduly
    Morally flawed