Thread: Could someone run me quickload data?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Unsurprising, given Quickload's limitations.

It is probably due to the burn rate of the batch of powder you have differing from that used to create the powder data file, the inability of QL to model freebore or any of the many other factors QL doesn't model.

This is why despite having the program, using it and liking it very much for some applications ( mainly those "what if" type scenarios that would be very expensive to try blind) a chronograph, at about the same cost as QL, is a much better investment for more reloaders.

Having said that, velocity is a function of pressure and time and so when you top out on velocity compared to reputable lab data you have probably topped out on pressure too. This can be masked by the excellent Lapua small primer brass which handles pressure far in excess of SAAMI or CIP specs very well.

What where you trying to find out, out of interest?
    I wanted to know about the pressure, burn and fill %. I suspect that I may find a better load which is a little more than the stated max. A little bit of theoretical backing will help me decide if it is worth trying (gradually, watching for pressure signs etc).

I’m starting to think that despite Vihtavouri suggesting n160 as a suitable powder that maybe it isnt a good choice.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Army-medic View Post
    I wanted to know about the pressure, burn and fill %. I suspect that I may find a better load which is a little more than the stated max. A little bit of theoretical backing will help me decide if it is worth trying (gradually, watching for pressure signs etc).

I’m starting to think that despite Vihtavouri suggesting n160 as a suitable powder that maybe it isnt a good choice.
    Have you measured the water capacity of some fired fired cases?

Fill% will depend on that figure as QL tends to use standard values which won't be the same as yours unless by chance.

If you are getting slightly higher velocities than predicted then your average case capacity might be smaller than that on the QL data file.

On the other hand, it might jsut be the barrel.

In the absence of a pressure lab my own tests for determining "max pressure" is to take a minimum capacity case to the range and load and shoot that one case until the primer pocket goes loose.

I look for ten firings plus for my hunting ammo, I like to err on the side of caution with hunting ammo, but some FTR shooters accept 2-3 for their 1000 yard loads.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.