Thread: Record Air Pistols

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I bought a Jumbo from Tony.T on here last month.

I'd never heard of them before, but a work colleague told me he was after one and a few weeks after that Tony advertised his. I agreed to buy it on behalf of my mate and then he changed his mind and bought a Scorpion I felt obliged to go through with the sale even though Tony said it was fine to pull out.
    Glad I did, the guns a belter - loads of fun.

Bulmer does a strip of the Jumbo in one of the mags a few years ago.

He said Record guns (at least the older ones) improve greatly with proper lubrication.

The first airgun I ever fixed was a Model 1. The sear had worn and needed to be reground, fits with the idea that the metal was to soft.
    Zastava Owners Club.

I've got a Jumbo Delux and a Champion. The Jumbo is a great little pistol, not much to look at but an ingenious design and reasonably well-made apart from the poor choice of alloy it's cast from. They get brittle with age in areas where the metal gets stressed, around the breech plug for instance. If the steel screws that hold them together are fitted without a thread seal or grease, the alloy around them corrodes resulting in the destruction of the threads, so if you do strip one down, don't reassemble it dry. Spares are getting difficult to get hold of. They have an unusual elliptical piston head and the barrels have an unusual shallow kind of rifling which is designed to spin the pellet without much friction so as to sap less power and make the best of the tiny swept volume. Good fun and surprisingly accurate! Although it's a short-range plinker mine seems to shoot Marksman Pointed pellets well, the only airgun I have that does!

The Champion is also good fun, although again, spares are getting difficult to find. It's larger than the Jumbo but made of the same material and has the same elliptical piston, but is a sidelever-cocked, magazine-fed pistol. It only works with flat-head pellets, I have found that Milbro Match feed more reliably than Bisley Practice, Gecos or Hobby pellets. It's quite accurate having a longer barrel than the Jumbo but has the same shallow rifling.

I like pistols that are unusual and quirky in design and these pistols certainly are that!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    You guys are getting me all nostalgic for something I've never used

About time they remade the Jumbo with nice materials?
    Good deals with these members

Record

My new Record Model 3 posted today according to the German supplier. I can't wait, I'll post photo's and review it once it gets here.

In the '70s I had one of the LP1 type models with a simple blade fore sight (no hood). It gave me hours of pleasure for years until it broke.
    "...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

just missed out on a jumbo on gunstar ah well… must be fate.
    Mo brístí ar an tine.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by scrubsboy View Post
    I'd never heard of them before, but a work colleague told me he was after one and a few weeks after that Tony advertised his. I agreed to buy it on behalf of my mate and then he changed his mind and bought a Scorpion I felt obliged to go through with the sale even though Tony said it was fine to pull out.
    Glad I did, the guns a belter - loads of fun.
    Really happy you're pleased with it! That was a deal gone wrong that turned out for the better!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk