Thread: Schofields

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I took my deactivated Schofield to Protek Supplies to compare with the Co2 model. It is a pretty good copy; the main differance is that the grip is much bigger than the orginal as it has to contain a 12g Co2 cartridge.
    That's interesting BJ - did both pistols weigh and balance the same? My preconception of the CO2 Schofield was it would weigh more than it actually did.

Kind regards,

John

The pellet shells have a bigger ridge around the bottom which is why I think they stop the bb versions cylinder revolving.

I was able to compare the two models at the range last Saturday.

For can bashing at 10 m there is no real difference in accuracy.
    The bbs seem to hit harder.

At longer ranges ,15/20 m the pellet version has the edge but bb one isn’t bad.

For 6 yard paper target the pellet groups better.

Both are good pistols in my view.

The 7 inch pellet Umarex Peacemakers out shoot them but they have a nice rifled barrel and are much more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That's interesting BJ - did both pistols weigh and balance the same? My preconception of the CO2 Schofield was it would weigh more than it actually did.

Kind regards,

John
    The "real" schofield weighs more 1400g vs 1080 for the Co2(empty no Co2 chartridge) and is more muzzle heavy, but it is made of steel and the barrel is blocked with a steel bar.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I was a little bit surprised to hear how well the Schofield pellet version performs from a smooth bore barrel. Only a little less accurate than the rifled barrel Colt SAA by all accounts. I assume that would be the six inch barrelled Colt, not the 7.5" one.

Apparently the smooth bores do lead up quite a bit though when you put pellets through them and have to be cleaned regularly.

Still, it does kind of pose the question: are rifled bores actually necessary for fun CO2 pistols shooting pellets at max 10 m?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

I was a little bit surprised to hear how well the Schofield pellet version performs from a smooth bore barrel. Only a little less accurate than the rifled barrel Colt SAA by all accounts. I assume that would be the six inch barrelled Colt, not the 7.5" one.

Apparently the smooth bores do lead up quite a bit though when you put pellets through them and have to be cleaned regularly.

Still, it does kind of pose the question: are rifled bores actually necessary for fun CO2 pistols shooting pellets at max 10 m?
    Interesting point, and I would proffer, for fun Co2 shooting, probably not (but what do I know ) ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I'm sure you know a lot more than me Gareth.

Just might try the pellet Schofield because there is no difference in price.

However as far as the Colt SAA is concerned , I would probably buy a bb version, because they are so much cheaper, especially from Germany.

And also because I know I'll spend more time looking at it than shooting it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

And also because I know I'll spend more time looking at it than shooting it.
    Lol. That's why I went for the BB Peacemaker, too -- but went for the Schofield designated BB because I fell in love with it's livery (and in the fullness of time, know I'll probably spend more time looking at said Schofield, than shooting it, too ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

ASG 1877 Smith & Wesson Schofield

Noticed a selection of these in a local RFD, they looked impressive and purposeful. How does the SA trigger compare to the Umerex Peacemaker (which is very good)?

The Schofield appears to be quite a bit larger than the Umerex Peacemaker even though the barrel is of a similar length (6" Schofield v 5.5" Colt). I prefer the proportions of the (Smith Wesson) Schofield to the (Colt) Peacemaker, the tiny grip and trigger reach on the Peacemaker felt a bit odd to me. I expect the larger grip is appropriate to the length and forward weight of the Schofield.

At first sight the pivot for the barrel/cylinder looks a bit odd compared to the sleek Peacemaker. However, the action appears to be very effective and the dual purpose rear sight/barrel catch demonstrated HERE seems clever; the large landing area should stand up well to long term use, even though made of alloy metals. The effective length provided by the cartridge on the pellet firing version also seems a bonus.

Certainly will be looking at these more closely
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.