It's funny how those 5 minute jobs can take all day.

I had a similar experience with cutting a coil off a new V-Mach spring the other day.

I watched the video on YuoTube describing how to cut a coil and then heat it up to a cherry red and compress the end coil, quench in oil and then dress with a dremel and an angle grinder.

So, I was fully confident I could do the job and disassembled the rifle, got all the tools out, cut the coil with a dremel and lit the blowlamp, to find it immediately ran out of gas.

Drive to the local high street where the hardware shop is, (Only 10 mins up the road) to find it's the busiest day of the year and I can't get parked. Search for parking for 15 mins. Then walk back to the shop and buy the gas cylinder for £3.99 and have an argument as to why they won't dispose of the old one for me. Apparently it's regulations. So I put it in the bin outside the shop where the regulations weren't quite so well enforced.

Walk back to the car and drive back home heat up the spring coil. Compress & Quench. Now I get the angle grinder out and find the grinding disk is not present. Search the garage for 20 mins and find the things I was looking for last time I did a 5 minute job.

Give up and drive back into town for a 4inch angle grinder disk. Same problems with parking £5.99 and then back.

Assemble the angle grinder and use it for approx. 1.5 to 2 mins.

Dress the spring with the dremel & wet & dry. Lovely job!

Clean & re-Lube the spring and put the rifle back together, By now the wife is shouting about tools all over the place. So, I gather all the tools up and put them back in the garage before finding my chrono and testing the rifle and it's still running warm.

Now I'm getting a bit peeved. So I get the tools out again, disassemble the rifle and cut another coil off the spring. Result was, the rifle was now doing 11.99 Fpe and had to have another half a coil off.AAAARRRGGHH!

The 5 minute job took all bloomin' day.

Ouch!