Thread: Packham gets General License revoked!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Keep it civilised guys. Remember this section shows up in Google searches .

https://www.google.com/search?q=airg...w=1366&bih=657

Cant have the media finding this and seeing shooters fighting amongst themselves

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Keep it civilised guys. Remember this section shows up in Google searches .

https://www.google.com/search?q=airg...w=1366&bih=657

Cant have the media finding this and seeing shooters fighting amongst themselves
    Perhaps those that are tacitly or obviously approving ought to have a think about their stance then, though thy probably don’t actually shoot love quarry anyway
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Perhaps those that are tacitly or obviously approving ought to have a think about their stance then, though thy probably don’t actually shoot love quarry anyway
    We all need to think about it rationally . Are you disputing the fact that some use the general license wrongly as the permission to shoot birds in their gardens ( I don't mean farm field sized gardens here i mean housing estate gardens ) ?

If the general license was used correctly then it could have been argued in court that it was robust enough to contradict Packham's complaints and may have stood up in court as being suitable .

The fact that it was being abused and possibly Packham had evidence that it was widely abused is the possible the reason it has been revoked for an overhaul.

Do you think you could stand up in court and defend something that you knew was being used incorrectly and expect to win the case ?

We all need to think about it rationally . Are you disputing the fact that some use the general license wrongly as the permission to shoot birds in their gardens ( I don't mean farm field sized gardens here i mean housing estate gardens ) ?

If the general license was used correctly then it could have been argued in court that it was robust enough to contradict Packham's complaints and may have stood up in court as being suitable .

The fact that it was being abused and possibly Packham had evidence that it was widely abused is the possible the reason it has been revoked for an overhaul.

Do you think you could stand up in court and defend something that you knew was being used incorrectly and expect to win the case ?
    It is up to the Police to enforce the terms of the Licence where needed not for NE to revoke it entirely!! That is like banning everyone from driving because a few people broke the driving rules, we have been placed in a ridiculous situation at the worst possible time of year.

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef

My point exactly and well put, Paul.

If folks can’t have a civil discussion then this course of debate will go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    My point exactly and well put, Paul.

If folks can’t have a civil discussion then this course of debate will go nowhere.
    If people who don’t really know what thy are talking about, or who are blind to packham’s agenda, or don’t actually shoot live quarry feel they know best it won’t go anywhere either!

This is a major issue for some of us who actually rely on these licences. The rest of you sat there pontificating from your keyboards are fixed on the very small and insignificant issue and clearly happy to see legal shooting activities stopped.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    If people who don’t really know what thy are talking about, or who are blind to packham’s agenda, or don’t actually shoot live quarry feel they know best it won’t go anywhere either!

This is a major issue for some of us who actually rely on these licences. The rest of you sat there pontificating from your keyboards are fixed on the very small and insignificant issue and clearly happy to see legal shooting activities stopped.
    If you rely on GL for legitimate pest control you have my sympathy. But so far you've only cited examples of things the GL didn't allow, or things the GL doesn't cover.

Perhaps if you can give an example of how this actually affects your legitimate pest control then it would move things forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    If you rely on GL for legitimate pest control you have my sympathy. But so far you've only cited examples of things the GL didn't allow, or things the GL doesn't cover.

Perhaps if you can give an example of how this actually affects your legitimate pest control then it would move things forward.
    I don’t need to move things forward on a forum! I have given examples above of the issues that are being faced by one and all who rely on these licences; protection of the nests of largest population of grey partridge that I have seen since my teens, protection of rape crops that are being decimated, protection of maize drilling’s to name a few.
    Last edited by 223AI; 24-04-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Read my previous posts on this thread on what I think should happen with the general licences and it should answer your questions
    Thanks for looking

It will get to the stage that only "professional" shots can shoot anything.

There is a learning curve to hunting. The skills and etiquette, the due respect for the quarry. Many a lessons learnt in the back garden. Education and individual responsibility are key.

This mess helps no one.
    Some of the comments here are sanctimonious and barely veiled attacks on hunting sports. I eat meat, I control vermin, I shoot stuff. I am responsible and hold all life in high regard. Please don't tell me what I can and can't do. "You" do not hold the moral high ground, in fact many of these anti hunting beliefs are weird.

I'm sick of KFC Conservationists as found on BBC Wildlife Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    It will get to the stage that only "professional" shots can shoot anything.

There is a learning curve to hunting. The skills and etiquette, the due respect for the quarry. Many a lessons learnt in the back garden. Education and individual responsibility are key.

This mess helps no one.
    Some of the comments here are sanctimonious and barely veiled attacks on hunting sports. I eat meat, I control vermin, I shoot stuff. I am responsible and hold all life in high regard. Please don't tell me what I can and can't do. "You" do not hold the moral high ground, in fact many of these anti hunting beliefs are weird.

I'm sick of KFC Conservationists as found on BBC Wildlife Watch.
    I think there's a massive difference between stalking deer, and offing a magpie off the bird feeder or lawn.

You're probably right in that shooting quarry may become more 'professional'. I'm not sure that though for the most part it isn't. DSC & cleared land etc demand it. (I haven't shot game so can't comment) But I don't think that is what CP's thrust is at and so far I've not seen an argument supported that it isn't. He lives up the road from me. I'm sure he's acutely aware of what happens in the local area in regards to shooting. FWIW he's not happy about the ponies. I think if he was going for shooting he'd not have stopped off on the way to take a swipe at the ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I think there's a massive difference between stalking deer, and offing a magpie off the bird feeder or lawn.

You're probably right in that shooting quarry may become more 'professional'. I'm not sure that though for the most part it isn't. DSC & cleared land etc demand it. (I haven't shot game so can't comment) But I don't think that is what CP's thrust is at and so far I've not seen an argument supported that it isn't. He lives up the road from me. I'm sure he's acutely aware of what happens in the local area in regards to shooting. FWIW he's not happy about the ponies. I think if he was going for shooting he'd not have stopped off on the way to take a swipe at the ponies.
    DSC is not a legal requirement and cleared land is only necessary commensurate to the applicant’s experience. If all field shooting goes the professional route expect your food costs to increase, a lot!
    Thanks for looking