Thread: shaping stock best tool?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Hi Pete,
    As long as you mark up the areas you want to remove and keep the strokes along the entire length of the area a wood rasp is fine. When sanding afterwards use a wooden or cork block to secure the abrasive paper to ensure the wood ends up level.
    ok thanks andy it wont be for a few weeks back in caravan march 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    ok thanks andy it wont be for a few weeks back in caravan march 1st.
    Any time Pete, I've just altered a stock and fully chequered it for a lad from your end of the country. I used rasps, files and different grades of abrasive paper. If I can help in any way fell free to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    Yes wood rasps. Although as said I much prefer a Japanese file. Basically it looks like a bunch of hacksaw blades in a honeycomb pattern.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/japanese-saw-rasp-384015
    That looks good Nick, I might have to invest in one of those. What's the sort of lifespan you can expect from one?

Any time Pete, I've just altered a stock and fully chequered it for a lad from your end of the country. I used rasps, files and different grades of abrasive paper. If I can help in any way fell free to contact me.

That looks good Nick, I might have to invest in one of those. What's the sort of lifespan you can expect from one?

Had the same file must be 14 years and it's still going strong. I've shaped quite a few longbow staves over the years when I made a few longbows. Done a few ash axe handles too for axes. Plus bits here and there.
    Last edited by Rapid7Nick; 25-01-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    Had the same file must be 14 years and it's still going strong. I've shaped quite a few longbow staves over the years when I made a few longbows. Done a few ash axe handles too for axes. Plus bits here and there.
    Thanks Nick, looks like I'll be adding to my tools then!

Thanks Nick, looks like I'll be adding to my tools then!
    If you type in Shinto Saw Rasp on YouTube, there a few clips come up and reviews.