Thread: flintlock kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Towels. Lots of towels.

A rag and a bottle of water. Every now and again, despite a brushing, you might need to wipe the frizzen or pan out and an old (sometimes fractionally damp with water or spit if needed) tea towel is ideal. Plus for all front-stuffing, as you probably know, a bar towel or something similar to wipe your hands on.

When you prime the flashpan only cover the flash hole. Use as little powder as possible, its speed up the ignition of the main charge.
    If you fill the flashpan to the top the powder has to burn down before reaching the flash hole. it slows down the ignition and wastes powder.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    When you prime the flashpan only cover the flash hole. Use as little powder as possible, its speed up the ignition of the main charge.
    If you fill the flashpan to the top the powder has to burn down before reaching the flash hole. it slows down the ignition and wastes powder.
    cheers good tip ,
    ballkeeper

must admit i do like the tiny priming flask,

last Q flints
    do you measure the size of the hammer/frizen ?
    does it matter if the flints are slightly wider or smaller?

anyone knap there own?
    ballkeeper

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Agree and more: I am not a flint shooter but when I was taught how to do it my mentor (something of an expert on duelling) told me to put a straightened paper clip into the flash hole and prime only up to the base of the flash hole, then remove the paper clip. He told me that this gave faster ignition because the burning powder was not impeded by powder in the flash hole. I was sceptical that this would work at all but it performed faultlessly. The gun I was privileged to be allowed to use (an original Manton no less!) had been breathed on and gave very fast ignition - approaching that of a percussion lock. Kinda spoilt me for lesser guns.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Agree and more: I am not a flint shooter but when I was taught how to do it my mentor (something of an expert on duelling) told me to put a straightened paper clip into the flash hole and prime only up to the base of the flash hole, then remove the paper clip. He told me that this gave faster ignition because the burning powder was not impeded by powder in the flash hole. I was sceptical that this would work at all but it performed faultlessly. The gun I was privileged to be allowed to use (an original Manton no less!) had been breathed on and gave very fast ignition - approaching that of a percussion lock. Kinda spoilt me for lesser guns.
    A lad at the club bought an original Manton flintlock pistol, I think he paid about £900 for it. It was in a well used condition but not poor, if you know what I mean.
    He decided it is too valuable to use and did not want to risk damaging it by using it so it now hangs on his wall at home.

A lad at the club bought an original Manton flintlock pistol, I think he paid about £900 for it. It was in a well used condition but not poor, if you know what I mean.
    He decided it is too valuable to use and did not want to risk damaging it by using it so it now hangs on his wall at home.
    That's a real shame. We are not helped here by the law that equates a 200-year-old single-shot antique with a firearm like a .50cal BMG long-range rifle.

I'm in the same boat with my two Canadian Sniders, one a family heirloom that saw service in 1871 during the last American invasion of Canada. Sure, I could sell two other guns so that I could legally shoot them, but I have no wish to have to lose two of my little collection to do so.

Having shot both pistols of a pair of Wogdon duellers I can testify that they make a Pedersoli repro feel like shooting a cap gun.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 18-06-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    That was relatively cheap. Manton favoured using old horseshoe nails to fire forge his barrels. It gives a very distinctive angular pattern Damascus effect, however they are not very strong and so perhaps your lad did the right thing.

Speaking purely personally, I find it a little sad when an old gun is too valuable to shoot so this kind of thing is not for me but I know a lot of folk enjoy collecting.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    A rag and a bottle of water. Every now and again, despite a brushing, you might need to wipe the frizzen or pan out and an old (sometimes fractionally damp with water or spit if needed) tea towel is ideal. Plus for all front-stuffing, as you probably know, a bar towel or something similar to wipe your hands on.
    good idea thanks ,thinking of small bottle of alcohol to clean up, and towel for hands etc
    ballkeeper