Thread: Barrel cleaning with brass brush

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can you tell why you want to clean your barrel. Has it lost accuracy or generally performing less consistently? If it is still shooting the way it was and you aren't noticing a drop in performance then why clean it. You will only have to waste time re-leading the barrel afterwards. A waste of pellets air and time. I only clean my barrels when I first get a new rifle and when I notice a drop in performance. This dependent on barrels is about a couple of thousand shots or more. All I use is some good old mod cleaning cloth a smidge of gun oil on a bit of string and a couple of pull throughs. Once that's done a dry cloth pull through and that's it. I cant even remember the last time I cleaned a rimfire barrel. Probably last year and they have had hundreds of rounds going down them. I wont even bother with them until I see a noticeable drop in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod177 View Post
    Can you tell why you want to clean your barrel. Has it lost accuracy or generally performing less consistently? If it is still shooting the way it was and you aren't noticing a drop in performance then why clean it. You will only have to waste time re-leading the barrel afterwards. A waste of pellets air and time. I only clean my barrels when I first get a new rifle and when I notice a drop in performance. This dependent on barrels is about a couple of thousand shots or more. All I use is some good old mod cleaning cloth a smidge of gun oil on a bit of string and a couple of pull throughs. Once that's done a dry cloth pull through and that's it. I cant even remember the last time I cleaned a rimfire barrel. Probably last year and they have had hundreds of rounds going down them. I wont even bother with them until I see a noticeable drop in performance.
    Hi Nimrod

I do notice a loss in accuracy and my groupings suffer so I usually clean with the pull-through and it does help a lot. As you say, I do have to chuck a few pellets down it afterward to get it leaded in again but that's ok. I bought the Bisley kit on the cheap, second hand and I thought that the brass brush would be a bit more thorough than the pull-through.

Cheers!