Thread: New air arms break barrel rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I genuinely do not understand this worship of the Pro Elite. Even in FAC it is capable of only a little bit more power than the HW80 which is a better bet in virtually every way. In legal limit the PE is a great big lump and that is why it was a commercial failure and quite sensibly was withdrawn by AA.
    The pro elite is a dinosaur introduced in the heyday where power was king. Take away its massive power potential (same design but smaller) and a very good quality sub 12 break barrel appears. The pro elite was a big money rifle. I bought my last one one in 2001 from CH Weston aat a cost of almost £400.
    I have fond memories of the PE and wish I'd never sold my last one as it was a top quality rifle but way away from what is actually needed. Quality though is far in excess of anything produced by Herman.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The pro elite is a dinosaur introduced in the heyday where power was king. Take away its massive power potential (same design but smaller) and a very good quality sub 12 break barrel appears. The pro elite was a big money rifle. I bought my last one one in 2001 from CH Weston aat a cost of almost £400.
    I have fond memories of the PE and wish I'd never sold my last one as it was a top quality rifle but way away from what is actually needed. Quality though is far in excess of anything produced by Herman.
    I have owned and shot several examples of the PE and certainly didn't regard it as being made to a higher standard than the HW80. I looked seriously at buying a Venom tuned .177 PE but declined on the basis of both price and weight. It is important to judge both rifles on the basis of like for like- it is clearly unhelpful to compare a highly tuned example of one with a factory standard version of the other.
    Just looking at the basic offering I remain of the view that the PE is just too large and heavy for a 12 ft lb rifle. For FAC I personally prefer the HW80 or if higher power is really needed, the Theoben Eliminator.
    As for quality of build it is my understanding that several well known tuners in the USA refused to work on PE's as the cylinders just weren't concentric. I have never heard that said about the HW80.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I have owned and shot several examples of the PE and certainly didn't regard it as being made to a higher standard than the HW80. I looked seriously at buying a Venom tuned .177 PE but declined on the basis of both price and weight. It is important to judge both rifles on the basis of like for like- it is clearly unhelpful to compare a highly tuned example of one with a factory standard version of the other.
    Just looking at the basic offering I remain of the view that the PE is just too large and heavy for a 12 ft lb rifle. For FAC I personally prefer the HW80 or if higher power is really needed, the Theoben Eliminator.
    As for quality of build it is my understanding that several well known tuners in the USA refused to work on PE's as the cylinders just weren't concentric. I have never heard that said about the HW80.
    I wasnt comparing the PE to anything just stating that it was (as AA springers tend to be, a better quality overall package than germanic offerings). Stock design and fit being a big factor, finish on metalwork another. I had no issues with either of the cylinders on my PE's. The PE like other AA springers shots more like a tuned rifle.
    The out of round cylinders are definitely not unique to AA and I have personally had an 80 with this issue.

Quality on HW springers has definitely dipped big time in the last 15 years at least. I don't think this is any secret.
    I won't be buying another HW springer new.
    B.A.S.C. member

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post

I wish mine had been that cheap! £425 to buy it - but already with CS800 stock, then a further £390 for a Lyn Lewington 25mm conversion and Colin Molloy refurb/reblue. Now it is gorgeous, sboots like my hw30s and puts out full power. Love it, but it's presently being treated a too precious for day-to-day. Heavy old bugger as well: that bullbarrel makes it very front-heavy😲😰

Jerry