Thread: Locktime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Can't see why anyone would be interested in how long it takes from trigger release to striking the primer - what use would this info be?
    Locktime is a function of the firearm itself, what happens after the pin hits the primer is a function of the cartridge.

Very seperate issues
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I've always preferred to use the term 'shot generation time' when referring to airguns.

Just saying.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have invented a new word. Whooble-Hoop. The Whooble-Hoop is the time taken from the trigger release to the pellet exiting the barrel in an airgun.

It does NOT cover cartridge guns, greyhound races or shopping trolleys as they have their own words. It does sound good and make you smile when you say it though.

Tomorrow I will invent a good word about the BSA Lightning, but that may be trickier......
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    I've always preferred to use the term 'shot generation time' when referring to airguns.

Just saying.
    I think I prefer Terry's choice of words, Tinners!

Think you might be struggling re the Lightning!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Weird thread. Lock time means something very specific in the cartridge firearm world. As explained by others above. The time it takes between the trigger breaking and the primer going off. Bolt action rifle where the trigger releases a light powerfully sprung straight-line firing pin, quick. Open-bolt SMG, really slow. For example.

As far as spring airguns go, you have basically lock time (from trigger break to piston moving), action time (from piston moving until pellet moves - also see start pressure), something that has no generally agreed name describing piston bounce, or not, and then and in some ways in parallel barrel time (how long it takes the pellet, once moving, to get out of the other end). Which is all quite complicated. And that's my attempt to simplify it!

Pneumatic guns, lock time is the time between trigger releasing the striker and the striker then hitting the valve and releasing the air. Cue start pressure and barrel time. Etc. As above.

That's all internal ballistics. What happens after is external ballistics and is even more bloody complicated too. Wind and drag and ballistic coefficents and stuff.

And, frankly, who cares, if you can in practice hit things with the pellet? The differences between different actuon types are tiny, and probably only matter in a real world way if you are are a bench rest guru.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Locktime is a function of the firearm itself, what happens after the pin hits the primer is a function of the cartridge.

Very seperate issues
    But this relates only to cartridge guns. Do other projectile weapons not have a locktime?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    But this relates only to cartridge guns. Do other projectile weapons not have a locktime?
    Airguns don't technically even have a lock...

gunlock

noun

a mechanism by which the charge of a gun is exploded.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.