Thread: Packham gets General License revoked!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    post #35 responding to you (You hit one with a car I take it)

I truely did, now what according to yourself, who I am getting the feeling doesn't do much pest or predator control, are the legitimate reasons for controlling deer, to paraphrase you 'should grazer not be allowed to graze and browsers not be allowed to browse'?? What about shooting deer for sport, is that legitimate?? Loads of deer are shot every year because they are feeding on ornamental plants, is that not a legitimate reason??

The RSPB control corvids and foxes on their reserves so they obviously see a value in all of it, i have heard they control deer too . . .
    Apologies, I missed that.

I don't shoot deer.

I have in the past done plenty of pest control. I don't anymore as I have no need to.

There is plenty of deer culling done around here on a permanent basis. Being able to shoot deer is a by product of herd management, it's not done because they occasionally nibble ornamental plants. Deer proof enclosures (as used around here) solve that (which is what they are in part used for) The diet of deer is wide and varied and picking one element out is like picking one bird out and saying that needs balancing.

There's no legitimate need to control birds or deer in your garden. The GL didn't cover that. Nothing has changed in that respect.
    The GL didn't cover game either. Nothing has changed there.
    It also doesn't cover deer. Nothing has changed there.

I'm not sure what point you're arguing against because so far you've objected to things that aren't changed by the GL being revoked.

For those with legitimate pest control businesses or needs I can see this being a royal pain in the backside and the hope is that it's sorted their favour soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Apologies, I missed that.

I don't shoot deer.

I have in the past done plenty of pest control. I don't anymore as I have no need to.

There is plenty of deer culling done around here on a permanent basis. Being able to shoot deer is a by product of herd management, it's not done because they occasionally nibble ornamental plants. Deer proof enclosures (as used around here) solve that (which is what they are in part used for) The diet of deer is wide and varied and picking one element out is like picking one bird out and saying that needs balancing.

There's no legitimate need to control birds or deer in your garden. The GL didn't cover that. Nothing has changed in that respect.
    The GL didn't cover game either. Nothing has changed there.
    It also doesn't cover deer. Nothing has changed there.

I'm not sure what point you're arguing against because so far you've objected to things that aren't changed by the GL being revoked.

For those with legitimate pest control businesses or needs I can see this being a royal pain in the backside and the hope is that it's sorted their favour soon.
    It was in response to your point that predators should be allowed to predate, deer should be allowed to feed to.

You are clearly clueless about the real world of deer stalking, deer control and pest control.

There is benefit to removing pest species that are scheduled on the GLs under any circumstances as their populations need to be controlled.

Personally I carry out legitimate pest, predator and deer control for 6 landowners over 6000+ acres, rape and spring drilling’s are being hit hard, we have a good population of grey partridge ( which as you probably know are on the red list) and plenty of songbirds all of which can now not be protected. I do this in my spare time on top of a fairly demanding job and family commitments. Even if I had time to fill out 25-35 licence applications how quickly do you think NE will get through the hundreds of thousands of applications? Particularly if they have to do a site visit to satisfy themselves non lethal methods are not plausible!

It is an absolute farce and will be the detriment of wildlife and farming it won’t be sorted any time soon unless NE can reword to come over the issue, but apparently according to yourself and a few others on this thread it is ok as a few less pigeons and magpies will be shot in peoples’ gardens!

They should have waited until the licences were to be renewed in January at the very least
    Thanks for looking