Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: You must read this if you hunt at night or like gadgets

Well?????

Any video evidence of the new wonder torches performance yet????
    Richard

$329USD for a 18mW laser? am i reading this?

i have a 100mW laser, cost me about $25 and is fully focusable so you can use it with a really wide beam.

even at 100mW its not that bright, it lights up a path easy but nothing like the 1000mW lasers i have, now they are bright, but being over 50 times more powerful they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by weetsie View Post
    $329USD for a 18mW laser? am i reading this?

i have a 100mW laser, cost me about $25 and is fully focusable so you can use it with a really wide beam.

even at 100mW its not that bright, it lights up a path easy but nothing like the 1000mW lasers i have, now they are bright, but being over 50 times more powerful they should be.

quack quack oops
    The power you are quoting is derived from current consumption not output power. A good quality low power laser will knock spots off a cheapie

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent sentinel View Post
    Night vision = £500 plus illuminator £600 and thats starting from unless you want a piece of rubbish

Add ons I have used are very awkward to use/Set up and make you hang off you gun in an un-natural way

Dedicated unit means you have to have a dedicated gun so £600 for the bottom range unit plus a complete extra gun, Pod etc let say thats £700 also so £1300 in total for a set up that wont be all that good. As far as I know Dedicated night vision as I am sure your aware only gives you 5 or 6 mag at most.

So rubbish Add or Dedicated setup is going to cost you Anything from £600-£1300 and this is assuming your buying from the budget end of the Night vision market.

I believe this unit costs about $325 so whats that in UK £'s ABOUT £215 I think. So is that a lot of money ? I dont think so for a state of the art military spec Laser Illuminator I would be happy to pay that price.

Lets face it It will attach to any gun allow you to use the gun day or night you will have no hanging off the back of the gun like you do with add ons and you wont be limited to 4 or 5 mag as it will work with any scope and it comes with 30mm or 1inch fitting in the kit so you really can use it on any scope.

I just found a video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgEo7...eature=related

I dont know if I am missing something here but this is my 10p's worth

ATB SS
    not being funny but no way would i spend some £200 odd quid on this, it's a glorified torch, maybe you can see the animals eyes, but how do you know what that animal is? I shoot rats where there's chickens walking around/roosting, i have a feeling if i used this then there would be one or two dead chickens.

And hate to tell you this but i just bought a cobra merlin with extra cobra illuminator off here, and it's in mint condition, with all pouches and box, and still under warranty, for £230, i have a butt extender i got off #### for a tenner, which fit any stock and gives me the perfect shooting position, i can also see exactly what im shooting at.

So i think it's unfair to slate add ons and dedicated units, until you have the knowledge of how to use them properly, and add ons are extremely easy to use, takes me less than a minute to get it on and focused. And i am invisible to my prey, instead of emitting a great green beam at them. So for 200 odd quid, i think i'll stick with my add on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    quack quack oops
    The power you are quoting is derived from current consumption not output power. A good quality low power laser will knock spots off a cheapie
    im not convinced, my laser doesnt put out 100mW your right, but im guessing it gives 80mW, it burns wholes in plastic and can cut through electrical tape when focused.

as for the youtube video im still not convinced, why is there no actual footage of it being used?

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    as for the youtube video im still not convinced, why is there no actual footage of it being used?[/QUOTE]

Probably because it's (putting it politely) not very good.

guys, don't forget high power laser is very bad for your eyes!

I was playing with a 100mw red laser the other day for about 10 minute. I wasn't stupid to look staight into the beam.
    However the light bounced back by the wall still made me feeling that I wanted to vomit. Also my eyes felt so dry that I could bearly watch TV that night.

A PROPER UNBIASED review of the ND3 with beamshots.

Here.

Beam instabilities on startup and exceedingly overpriced but does what it says on the tin. Bear in mind the reviewer did not use it in a hunting situation so no conclusion can be reached about suitability in that respect.

I forgot to add, the indication that it's the batteries that cause the problems at low temps may be bollo erm wrong

Green lasers tend not to work well in cold temps. This is caused by the crystals in the module becoming miss aligned due to the expansion and shrinking of the materials used. This is quite common in most, if not all green lasers.

I had a look at both of these at the Pheonix the other day.

It is a laser. It is deployed as a torch

it has a focus mechanism which makes the beam pencil or flood. As flood takes effect, then the output seems to diminish.

this was seen on a bright sunny day.

Both models on tight beam (with seems to be far to tight to be of use in the field) showed up on a tree across the way with bright sunlight outside. The trunk was not in direct sunlight.

Bear in mind green lasers and subsequent blues etc were designed for military daytime use so this isnt really a surprise.

A night test is the only way to really see what all the fuss is about but to frank, I would rather put the 200/300 towards the cost os a devent bit of NV gear.

Lasers run true and far as a tight spot, I am not convinced af the effectiveness at night on flood.

I dont plan to buy one anytime soon though.

A night time test is what is required for sure
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by HorseDude View Post
    Or... we could just buy a 100mw green laser from dealextreme with adjustable focus for $38, free shipping to UK.

It's a tarted up green laser. Some of the products out there are insulting to shooters. They think because we spend good money on rifles and gadgets that they can "invent" some "new" device and we will cue up to buy it like idiots.
    I agree, although you'd need to carry out a simple mod to the laser pointer to do the same job.

This is nothing more than a basic, low power green laser with a couple of extra lenses on the front to expand the beam (make it thicker).

You could achieve the same result with a cheap £10 5mw green laser pointer, with a tube on the front housing a couple of simple lenses.

The first lens to spread the beam to a cone shape, and the second to form that conical beam into a parallel beam.

You could source said lenses from many cheap sources, such as a second hand pocket binoculars, or spotting scopes, or better still a damaged or old rifle scope.

With the lenses to hand, all you need do is house both in a simple tube that could be fixed in front of the laser pointer, and of course play around with the distances between the lenses to get your desired beam thickness, and shape. This is literally a case of moving them backwards and forwards from the main beam of the laser until you get the beam you want.

Job done.

I totally agree on the extortionate pricing of this though. For what it is, and how easy it is to replicate, I wouldn't pay a penny over £50 for it.
    Last edited by shammo; 03-06-2010 at 12:04 AM.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    quack quack oops
    I hate to be the stickler, but there's no way you can assume that from that persons post.

Much more likely that he's got a non-IR-filtered laser which does put out 100mw, but 90% of which is IR, therefore invisible, as is the case with practically every laser sourced form #### (apparently a certain auction site is blocked from appearing in this forum?!), dealextreme, or any of the other many Chinese direct suppliers.

A proper portable 100mW green only laser would cost hundreds of pounds.
    Last edited by shammo; 03-06-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

The torch I get for my night vision googles is essentially the same thing but Ir

I Have One Of These .!!!!!

I Have The ND-3 As Been Discussed.

And AS Gadjets Go Its A Wicked Piece Of Kit .

NO ITS NOT NIGHT VISION .

NO ITS NOT A TORCH / OR A TORCH WITH A GREEN FILTER .

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG AND UNTILL YOU HAVE USED ONE AT NIGHT YOU WONT KNOW

SO ILL TELL YOU HONESTLY .

I have had loads of different night set ups / Digital Night Vision / Gen + 2 / Lamps / Torches / Spotlights etc.
    Currently using a Pelican 550 Digi As Well .

Now The Green laser is a tiny little size of a aa maglite on your scope mounted option like i have . Its lightwaeight with a tac switch and for normal daytime shooting you forget its there. This is fundamental for me because when i have walked miles to snipe my quarry the last thing you need in this day and age is to lug and extra gun with nv or lots of lamps and batteries for a more powerful lamp.
    One Tiny Battery Last For About 9 hours in the laser.
    Ill Compare the power of the laser to a GREEN LIGHT FILTER As you guys have suggested .
    So ledray GL4 without filter to start with just to see the diifference .!!
    Now its dark the LEdRAY shines 100 metres at a real push.
    The green laser is just a Diffent kettle of fish all together 3 or 4 Times more powerfull than torch . So i'm not going to bother with the green filter on the ledray theres's no point . losing another 30 percent of light with a filter .

Right That Done my laser is mounted on a light stream scope . Which is lovelly shooting in the day . See for miles . I look through the scope turn the laser on adjust the laser beam to match the width of site on the scope & thats all there is too it SIMPLES !
    Power wize Yes Its A VERY Bright Laser Certainly no torches around this small to match the power of this . Trust Me Iv'e Tried .
    Shining The Laser Along The Bank Rabbits Rabbits Rabbits Loads Of Rabbits Everywhere . If I Shine The Laser For A Coup[le Of Seconds The Rabbits Are Not Bothered At The Brighnest At All. Bang Crack One Bunny Down . All Rabbits Hidden.
    That Bank Was 55 Yds away . I'm Shooting with a 22lr cz.
    The night is not the best for weather a bit misty and dull .
    Turn round 360 degrees scanning for more rabbits i see lots without looking through the scope just using the laser and scanning the premises . I looked around to the next embackment 130 yds away . This time its hard to see the bunnies eyes without looking through the scope, But when i lifted my head up again look through the scope and wow again i can see bunnies as clear as any thing . I knows its 13oyds cos i have my LEICA CRF 1200 rangfinder .
    Shoot Bang Crack Sorted . Once you have taken a shot as normal everything hides for ten minutes then come back out again.
    I even find that shooting with night vision although the quarry dont know your there once you shoot they do . OR Miss .
    Know i'm Not Shooting But Just A Quick look Through My Scope Into the fields below . The laser does reach this range but its only through your scope can you really see its affectifness . 300 yds fox Easily Sighted , Rabbits 285 yds just . Deer Quite Easily About 300yds . The screnn at These Distances I Faintly Green Tinged . The Same colour As Gen 2 Night vision . Eyes Pop Out And You Can See Fairly Easily SHOOTING .

Now My Findings i Am very impressed With The laser designator for the size of the thing as it is tiny .
    Also nitrogen purged So Water Resistant So Dont Take Apart .
    Very Tight Circle Of Green Light Around The Scope When Viewing You Certainly Will Never Get A Torch That Can Do That .
    Lasts For Nine Hours On One Lithium Battery .
    Change the width of the laser with your thumb .
    Laser Mounts Good
    Tac Swich / A Bit hard , But i'm Sure it Will Soften A Bit .

SO Power Wize Compared To Torch Of This Size. NOT EVEN CLOSE
    Compared to a dedicated night vision ? NO OF COURSE NOT NOT EVEN CLOSE .

This Laser Is Very Bright So Dont Shine It Anybody .
    The reason Its gets its name nightvision is beacause , When scoping through the scope you get the same green as night vision screen . Its very clear for viewing but that may differ for diffent scope manufactures.

Now Would I Buy One ?????????????

Yes Already Have ! This My Unit I Brought It Had It Since Jan .
    Problems Ive Had #### IT COLD WEATHER . THE BATTERIES I THINK . KEEP A COUPLE OF SPARE WAR BATTERIES IN YOUR POCKET KEEP THEM WARM . CHANGE THEM IF THE LASER FAILS .

This problem sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from that i love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps .

lozninja

The ability to size the beam to that seen in the scope is useful.

Nobody can doubt the range of a laser.

Still not convinced by this - I guess it is one of those things you need to see for yourself.

The loss of output on cold nights is a bit of a spanner in the UK though.

I use torches driven with cr123a's and rechargable Lithions without any problem whatsover so why does it become so critical in a laser ?

These are LEDS and I have never had a problem ?

Is it the battery or part of the laser I wonder.

I also worry about reflection - what is the issue here. Presumably as the laser is already being spread from source, this is less of an issue than if it was a std tight laser beam.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill