Thread: Umarex RP5 pre-review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Umarex seem to have put a lot of thought into this.
    There are a few features I've certainly not seen on CO2 airgun before. I can see plenty of influences from some popular PCP's in here too.
    Hopefully, the suggested price tag indicates a high level of build quality.
    A thorough review should reveal this.
    This may well see the 2240/2250 platform getting a bloody nose.
    Indeed, Rob.

The RP5 is using dual 12g, I assume on the basis of releasing the CO2 into a pressure resistant chamber from where it is drawn rather than butting up to a seal. From my own use of an Airmagnum (with 12g adaptor), Crosman 600, GP45 and Crosman Mk1, this method of drawing the CO2 seems to give much more consistent FPS shot to shot than the direct CO2 cap to valve method. I don't understand the physics, but the consistency of all these guns from shot to shot is markedly superior to anything I have shot with the other arrangement.

Adding in the innovative slide cocking arrangement (ideal for the carbine version), shroud and 5 shot capacity and personally I think Umarex have a good one on their hands here. I'm curious about what length of barrel the carbine will have- from the limited photos I have seen, I'd estimate somewhere between 12 and 16" and this will obviously affect the FPS, using 2250 barrel lengths effect on the same as a yardstick. My Airmagnum in .22 would push 11.5fpe using 2x12g, but had a 22" barrel. 2250 barrel lengths experimentation suggest 18" is optimal...but of course, we will be dealing with a different valve in the RP5.

Bottom line is, I'm inclined to a carbine version of this

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Indeed, Rob.

The RP5 is using dual 12g, I assume on the basis of releasing the CO2 into a pressure resistant chamber from where it is drawn rather than butting up to a seal. From my own use of an Airmagnum (with 12g adaptor), Crosman 600, GP45 and Crosman Mk1, this method of drawing the CO2 seems to give much more consistent FPS shot to shot than the direct CO2 cap to valve method. I don't understand the physics, but the consistency of all these guns from shot to shot is markedly superior to anything I have shot with the other arrangement.

Adding in the innovative slide cocking arrangement (ideal for the carbine version), shroud and 5 shot capacity and personally I think Umarex have a good one on their hands here. I'm curious about what length of barrel the carbine will have- from the limited photos I have seen, I'd estimate somewhere between 12 and 16" and this will obviously affect the FPS, using 2250 barrel lengths effect on the same as a yardstick. My Airmagnum in .22 would push 11.5fpe using 2x12g, but had a 22" barrel. 2250 barrel lengths experimentation suggest 18" is optimal...but of course, we will be dealing with a different valve in the RP5.

Bottom line is, I'm inclined to a carbine version of this
    Yep the valving and power delivery I reckon will make or break it's use as a carbine. No reason a shorter barrel then the 850 can't make sub12 power. The xs501 makes power easily. That runs a shorter barrel.
    B.A.S.C. member