Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baikal Makarov Questions Please

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchermiss View Post
    I have a Baikal Makarov, all steel bought in around 94. Very well made and never been fired. From what I have seen it is much better than later models and must be Generation 1. Clearly is the converted 9mm.
    Didn't think they made these until 98? Which are very rare.
    Year it was made are the first two numbers in the serial number found on the slide, frame and mag assuming they all match.

I'm on the lookout for one of these, I almost got one when they first came out in the 90's, but I couldn't justify it at the time, buying online (where I live there are not really any local gun shops, I have to beg a lift from my neighbour for a 40 mile round trip to a decent gun shop) how do I know that I am getting a decent one (earlier = decent), I've looked and they can range in price quite significantly, any pointers greatly received.

The 1998 models were only available in the US and their serial number started with T98, these are very rare in the UK, Uk versions were only available from 1999 so feel that Lurchermiss's cannot have been from 1994 as they were not available pre 1999, a good condition 1999 model if it has the T99 serial number and all the matching box, tools manual ect can go for anywhere between £180 and £250 to a serious Mak buyer who is willing to pay over the odds however they still come up for sale on sites for much less than this if your in the right place at the right time, I bought a Gen 1 with all original packaging ect for £125 last year so they can be found for less than the cost of the newer models if your lucky. In my opinion the rarer versions are some of the later Gen 2 versions with the square bearded front, you don't see these coming up for sale as often as the Gen 1 versions with the narrower front slide and as such I would pay more for one of them.

On reflection I must have got the date I purchased it wrong. My serial number begins T007.
    Lurchermiss

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchermiss View Post
    On reflection I must have got the date I purchased it wrong. My serial number begins T007.
    That will be a year 2000 model

Quote Originally Posted by HiveTool View Post
    I'm on the lookout for one of these, I almost got one when they first came out in the 90's, but I couldn't justify it at the time, buying online (where I live there are not really any local gun shops, I have to beg a lift from my neighbour for a 40 mile round trip to a decent gun shop) how do I know that I am getting a decent one (earlier = decent), I've looked and they can range in price quite significantly, any pointers greatly received.

Have read here:http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...forum.php?f=64

More Makarov help needed.

I'm having the same problem with gas leaking on a model marked T06 055974. What year would that be? It's sealing at the neck of the cartridge, but leaking through the ports above.

Anyone know where I can get some spare seals? And I'd like to reinstall the original screw in the magazine, but can't find them either. Someone has snapped the screwdriver bit on the tool, a replacement would be cool, but a wide screwdriver will do if I can't find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice65 View Post
    I'm having the same problem with gas leaking on a model marked T06 055974. What year would that be? It's sealing at the neck of the cartridge, but leaking through the ports above.

Anyone know where I can get some spare seals? And I'd like to reinstall the original screw in the magazine, but can't find them either. Someone has snapped the screwdriver bit on the tool, a replacement would be cool, but a wide screwdriver will do if I can't find one.
    Sadly the original Mak forum with all stickies/how-to's etc died some years ago but much of the info I wrote and relevant pictures (making tools, base screws, seal info, upgrades etc) is buried in this topic so well worth a delve):

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...bout11253.html
    Last edited by felix gunner; 13-12-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Sadly the original Mak forum with all stickies/how-to's etc died some years ago but much of the info I wrote (making tools, base scress, seal info, upgrades etc) is buried in this topic so well worth a delve):

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...bout11253.html
    Thank you fella, I shall have a browse this evening.

Think I've found the problem and solution. There are supposed to be 2 within the magazine at the point it meets the barrel, a clear yellow silicone, and a larger black one. The black one is missing, so a new set of seals are on the way.

Though this is my second Mak, I'm enjoying slowly getting to know what's what. Who knows, I'll be trigger polishing soon

Help much appreciated, thanks.

i bought one back in 2001 second hand but like new in the box wrapped in grease paper i only paid £40 for it sold it a mate for what i paid who had a rat problem under his Garden shed i know he's still got it so i will try and buy it back off him.
    DMC.
    watch this space

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Another internet myth I'm afraid. Granted they are very well made, they are not however 'converted' from the RS
    Depends on your definition of converted, it's certainly my belief that the major components of the real steel PMM double stack models were converted for use in the generation 1 CO2 version.... I.e. the slide, the frame, trigger guard & grips - obviously the barrel, valve/magazine assembly and triggers are new parts.
    My gen 1 slide for example still has the extractor claw slot machined in - and it's evident from the milling inside it was a real steel one at one point.
    Is this converted, reworked or adapted?

Later generations I believe then began to use some specifically made parts, but as above I believe the early models were indeed converted.

PS Just noticed on Rusmilitary's website that they write of the gen 4 model they sell : "90% of Baikal's parts are genuine Makarov (PMM) pistol parts" - not sure how accurate that is, but that's what they're claiming.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 01-01-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Must have been a tad later than 94.
    Prototypes were first made in 1997, a small number that appear to have been made for the USA market in 1998, I imported a 98 from the States. It's still the only one I know of in the UK.
    The mainstream supply are dated 1999 and these are the Gen 1 models and are the most sought after.
    Easy way to tell us by the serial number on the slide, body and normally on the mag base.
    Typically a 1999 would begin T99.... and so on.

Seal diagram?

Dammit, I thought I'd saved it, but I don't have the seal diagram anywhere. I looked all the way through the links in the archived Umarax Boys thread, opened more links, to no avail.

Google-Fu isn't working well either. Anyone have a link or pic of it?

Much ta if you do, I've got the pistol and a Swiss Army Knife sitting here next to a new pack of seals and bigger valve and don't know quite where it all goes.

Any help?

http://makarov.com/co2/instructions.html

try you tube for guns being taken apart too.

atb
    Pete
    Last edited by PALADIN; 12-01-2017 at 02:01 AM.
    ULTIMATE KING RATTY ::.22 SMK QB78DL HYBRID::+QB78 D/L .25 Cal ::850 AIRMAGNUM::PISTOLS- :22 Cal Weihrauch HW80K Tactical::RAM 68 :-)