Thread: HFT optic advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I've just had a look and can't find any either. Wonder why there's none around
    Like you said I've used the Hawke scopes for a while. They've been perfect on any springer I've tried them on, don't seem affected by the recoil at all. I think the most adjustment I've made to my zero this year was 2 clicks.

I would avoid 50mm objective for HFT, too many parallax issues at the very close and very far targets.

If I needed another scope right now, I would probably look at the Airmax 4-12x40 AO AMX

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...mx-riflescope/
    That looks good but is the build quality as good as your favourite Hawke, and what would be the advantage of the more expensive Hawke Sidewinder I see on your rifle (Facebook) ?

At the other end of the scale, this one looked good for £75 but it only goes up to x9 magnification:-

Hawke Vantage MAX Air Rifle Scope 3-9x40 AO 1/2 MilDot Reticle Riflescope 14181

or this one at £79:-

Hawke Vantage Air Rifle Scope 4-12x40 AO MILDOT RETICLE Riflescope 14141
    Last edited by zooma; 18-03-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That looks good but is the build quality as good as your favourite Hawke, and what would be the advantage of the more expensive Hawke Sidewinder I see on your rifle (Facebook) ?

At the other end of the scale, this one looked good for £75 but it only goes up to x9 magnification:-

Hawke Vantage MAX Air Rifle Scope 3-9x40 AO 1/2 MilDot Reticle Riflescope 14181

or this one at £79:-

Hawke Vantage Air Rifle Scope 4-12x40 AO MILDOT RETICLE Riflescope 14141
    I think the Airmax is almost identical to the Vantage Max, except it has a different reticle.
    The 3-9x40 for £75 seems very good value. You would be limited to 9x mag, but most of us only use 10x mag anyway, so it wouldn't actually be much different.
    The Vantage Mildot (NOT the Vantage Max) has a much thicker reticle, and doesn't have the half mil dots. I personally prefer the thinner reticle on the 'Max' version. It would be worth getting to your local club and having a look through a couple to see what type of reticle you prefer

A more expensive version (such as the Sidewinder) benefits from better glass and more coatings on the lenses. This should give a clearer image in a wider range of conditions. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use my Sidewinder much and I don't want to change scopes at the moment. Maybe in a few months I will put the Sidewinder on and see how it compares to my current scope

Thanks for the information Dan.
    Last edited by zooma; 19-03-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.