Thread: DIY palm rest advice please

DIY palm rest advice please

I'm thinking of making a palm rest for my newly acquired Original 75 to reduce my need to use finger tips to rest the rifle on ( maybe I have stumpy forearms!). After forking out £200 for the rifle I don't want to be spending £100 on a bought one, because I like making things, I'm tight and more importantly the Finance director wouldn't sanction it

To that end, I have two questions
    1) are there any ISSF (?) rules which dictate the dimensions and if so, what are they
    2) what fittings to use and where do you get them? I'm assuming I can find some reasonable walnut/mahogany/teak in the shed which can be made to match the stock but what bolts etc to use in the accessory rail?

Any advice would be gratefully received!
    Regards
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I’ve never seen the hardware for the rail available as spare parts but others may know differently? I used to make the bits on a milling machine to fit the rail I was using. I used to use Anschütz rails as these were commonly available as a spare part. I generally used M5 cap head socket screws (black or stainless) for clamping everything together. Making the wooden part is easy but can be a bit tedious if you go for a stippled finish like I did. Good luck with the project.

No idea on the current ISSF rules but you should be able to download a copy.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

ISSF Rules 7.4.4.1 Depth of forend (measured from centreline if barrel) 90mm. However, 7.10 Rifle Specification Table, Air Rifle - Palm Rest “No”.

Rutty

Palm rests aren't permitted on 10m air rifle. These are an accessory for 0.22 rifles. You can add wood (or card/paper)to build up the fore-end to the maximum depth (80mm from the bore-line from memory).

Some of the modern alu stocks blur the line, with wooden blocks fitted to the metal skeleton chassis.

This is a palm rest: http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog...ml?cPath=11_15

Lundy this is a S400 but the principle is the same. https://i.imgur.com/8MYeRza.jpg

It's a piece of channel rail let into the underside, then with a T nut you can fix pretty well any palm rest you like.

However if it's not allowed in the rules.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

ISSF rules!

Ok, I have read the "Rules"!
    No palm rest but the forend can be 120mm deep from bore centre line to bottom of forend. If mine is 90(?)mm, does that mean I can add 30mm but it not be removeable? How does that work?
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post

Some of the modern alu stocks blur the line, with wooden blocks fitted to the metal skeleton chassis.
    Yes indeed. Only this morning I got the Anschütz newsletter in my inbox and one of the pictures clearly shows a 10M air rifle with an adjustable palm shelf being used in competition.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The maximum depth of the fore end for air rifles was increased this year from 90 to 120 mm, although a palm rest is not permitted on air rifle, a palm rest is a "handle" to hold which is fixed in the accessory rail, BUT, an extension to the fore end is permitted, and its near enough the same thing, just no anatomical features and it forms the same width as the for end, and in line with the fore end, and it serves the same purpose!

So yes you can add material same width as the fore end to make the fore end deeper up to a max of 120 mm from the bore line. easiest way is some nice wood, and make some tapped locations that fit the fore end rail for the mounting screws to secure into.

Or you could improve your position and use a better hold than fingertips.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Robin, thank you for the nice and clear clarification on forend deepening vs palm rest . I totally accept I need to improve my position, especially since I'm just making it up at the moment, and googling stuff. I've got to a point where my head and neck feel relaxed and not stained, but struggling to keep it that way whilst getting my elbow in a stable position and ending up with my hand at the right height. Having said that, I think my biggest problem is legs and feet which sway way too much!
    I had to miss club night this week but it will get its first outing next week and I'm sure I can get some pointers
    Many thanks as always for good advice
    Andy