Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chrony PC Interface Cable project.

Gloucester or Cemaes or somewhere in between
    Had a play this morning using an Chrony Alpha Master connected to a netbook running XP Pro. I've uploaded the output as a HTML file here. I didnt get a chance to check the string handling over 32 shots sorry Stot.

It works exactly as described, excellent product.

A very minor tweak would be to increase the decimal places on the Pellet weight column so it shows the weight to 2 decimal places in the csv file. I entered the weight as 8.44 but it shows as 8.4. Also an option to manually name the csv file would be nice or possibly using the make/model as a filename and add a timestamp as a suffix?

One thing I did notice that is totally non connected to the Chrono Connect system is that the Alpha Master shows a higher velocity if the diffuser isn't being used, typically 20fps.

regards
    Kev
    Last edited by Photosbykev; 18-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Weapon of choice: A 600mm Canon. Author of the Pellet Photobase. Twitter me or Burp the Frog
    "It's not what you feel that matters, it's who you touch"

Excellent stuff Kev,

I never seen anyone use 2 decimals on a grain weight, I can put it in though for an update.

I do have a report of the Status button crashing on a Chrony Alpha so id be interested to see how it goes for you.

Cheers
    Stot
    Guns: SLR98 - Phoenix - Ultra - HW45 - P800
    Chronographing: www.chronoconnect.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stot View Post
    Excellent stuff Kev,

I never seen anyone use 2 decimals on a grain weight, I can put it in though for an update.

I do have a report of the Status button crashing on a Chrony Alpha so id be interested to see how it goes for you.

Cheers
    Stot
    Almost all of the pellet weights are quoted to 2 decimal places or even 3 when quoted in grams on the tins and on-line databases.

From memory when I hit status this morning it came back with the Chrony memory details and then finished on >rdy? I think, seemed to work fine here.
    Weapon of choice: A 600mm Canon. Author of the Pellet Photobase. Twitter me or Burp the Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Photosbykev View Post

One thing I did notice that is totally non connected to the Chrono Connect system is that the Alpha Master shows a higher velocity if the diffuser isn't being used, typically 20fps.
    So does the F1, damn near gave me a heart attack when I saw the figures Was this the problem from your other thread btw?

I had a couple of lock ups on this yesterday after pressing reset. The program didn't crash as such, just wouldn't accept any data from the chrony. Unplugging and sw off/on didn't clear the fault until I restarted Chrony Connect. I couldn't duplicate it today though so I'm stumped for exactly what I did when, sorry
    (If I make it happen again I'll make better notes )

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Photosbykev View Post
    Almost all of the pellet weights are quoted to 2 decimal places or even 3 when quoted in grams on the tins and on-line databases.

From memory when I hit status this morning it came back with the Chrony memory details and then finished on >rdy? I think, seemed to work fine here.
    Ah yes in grams yes, but the program only accepts grains right now. But I can put how ever many decimal placed you have entered into the weight field, into the csv and table. Ill add the option of weight in grams too in a future update.

Cheers
    Stot

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeG View Post
    So does the F1, damn near gave me a heart attack when I saw the figures Was this the problem from your other thread btw?

ATB
    I had measured the 800fps without the diffuser fitted. The rifle was detuned by Daystate and measured on their Skan Mk9 at 765fps with AA fields.

You can see the power level I was recording today with the diffuser fitted in the link I posted earlier.

regards
    Kev

I had a couple of lock ups on this yesterday after pressing reset. The program didn't crash as such, just wouldn't accept any data from the chrony. Unplugging and sw off/on didn't clear the fault until I restarted Chrony Connect. I couldn't duplicate it today though so I'm stumped for exactly what I did when, sorry
    What sometimes happes is the Chrony can get stuck waiting for something or doing something. The Reset button doesnt send any commands to the Chrony so its probably co-inky-dink that it happened then.

I take it the Chrony wasnt registering the shots eithe, not just the program?

If it happens again check whats on the LCD on the chrony. If its not -[]- or the speed of the last shot then its lost its self. sometimes it will say ...1 or =AED or soemthing like that. Waiting 10-30 seconds usually sees the Chrony realise somethings up and return back to -[]- ready for another shot.

Cheers
    Stot

Combro cables.

Anyone that wanted a COMBRO cable, they are now back in stock at Combro.

http://www.chronoscopes.com/

Cheers
    Stot

Hi guys

Got an updated version that now allows pellet weights with up to 9 decimal places :P and a detachable full screen power display.

Also the unlocking is now available via web site.

If you were lucky enough to buy one of my cables PM me for details of getting your code.

If you have and unlock code already, make sure you save it before updating to this version as it will write over it. Future updates wont do this.

Cheers
    Stot

I had that too. Sometimes the Chrony would say -[]- and sometimes -PC-.
    And when I went into Chrony status and then clicked Close it would pop up with a run-time error dialog. I can't remember the code unfortunately.

Also sometimes the diagnostic string or whatever that comes up in Chrony status would sometimes have one or two corrupted characters (e.g. accented letters). This all points to a slight comms problem of course but all COM port settings were correct.

I have to say using hyperterm I didn't experience any of that.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

i havent had a chance to have a proper play with my cables and the program yet, but MR.stot are you related to Bill Gates by any chance? release windows vista with bugs in it and get the public to test it out???? hahahahaha! still never mind am sure v1.1 is fixed!!

by the way am not having a dig mate, think what i have seen so far is spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K
    I had that too. Sometimes the Chrony would say -[]- and sometimes -PC-.
    And when I went into Chrony status and then clicked Close it would pop up with a run-time error dialog. I can't remember the code unfortunately.
    Problem is the Chrony doesnt go straight into ready mode when you attach a cable or change com settings. You need to wait until the -[]- is there sometimes. Its a pain but i cant even send a wake up command until its actually at -[]-.

Perhaps it would help if I made the status button stay disabled until ive successfully pinged the chrony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K
    Also sometimes the diagnostic string or whatever that comes up in Chrony status would sometimes have one or two corrupted characters (e.g. accented letters). This all points to a slight comms problem of course but all COM port settings were correct.
    Yes does sound like it could be. Also the Chrony misbehaves when its not in good light or under flourecents for example, even when you are trying to connect to it and send it commands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I have to say using hyperterm I didn't experience any of that.
    Did you send the commands to get the status string or was it the shots that were registering ok in HT? The actual shot recording works

The Chrony Status bit is experimental at the moment as I only have an F-1 and cant test it with anything else yet.

Cheers
    Stot

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    i havent had a chance to have a proper play with my cables and the program yet, but MR.stot are you related to Bill Gates by any chance? release windows vista with bugs in it and get the public to test it out???? hahahahaha! still never mind am sure v1.1 is fixed!!

Yep ill release SP4 soon....

Just a few Chrony Status things have cropped up so far. The main guts of the program work nicely.

Cheers
    Stot

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post

Hey leave Stot alone

I asked for a shot count in the Power view and 5 minutes later I get one. It would take Bill Gates 5 years and 6 service packs to update his software and then it would be full of security leaks

It would be nice to have a comments box for free form text that could be included in the csv file like user notes for each test

Problem is the Chrony doesnt go straight into ready mode when you attach a cable or change com settings. You need to wait until the -[]- is there sometimes. Its a pain but i cant even send a wake up command until its actually at -[]-.

Perhaps it would help if I made the status button stay disabled until ive successfully pinged the chrony.

Yes does sound like it could be. Also the Chrony misbehaves when its not in good light or under flourecents for example, even when you are trying to connect to it and send it commands.

Did you send the commands to get the status string or was it the shots that were registering ok in HT? The actual shot recording works

The Chrony Status bit is experimental at the moment as I only have an F-1 and cant test it with anything else yet.

Cheers
    Stot
    Yes it sounds like it's the status string. Only thing was it started misbehaving after it had been connected for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes the chrony would register a shot (showing velocity on its LCD) but no response from the software. Other times the program would register it. I couldn't detect a pattern to this, only that for the half dozen shots I tried over hyperterm there were no glitches.

I'd just like to say the cable is a cracking piece of hardware that now lives in my Chrony when folded. The software also shows every sign of being a superb piece of kit. Keep up the good work!

Next on my wish list is a wireless sender so you can sit on the range line next to your lappy while the chrony sits anywhere you like downrange and sends its readings straight to the PC.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius