Thread: Green Delrin Bar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    There was a company in the US that used to make the guides out of stainless steel and they claimed that they were the best on the market, perhaps there is something there specially as their guns are not sub 12 pea shooters.

A.G
    The downside to steel and alloy is the fit, it has to be so that if you hold the spring upright and place the guide into it, it doesn't fall in, but , it needs just a little pressure with your finger to slide it in, as you can imagine it takes a few very fine passes on the lathe then a few minutes polishing to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    The downside to steel and alloy is the fit, it has to be so that if you hold the spring upright and place the guide into it, it doesn't fall in, but , it needs just a little pressure with your finger to slide it in, as you can imagine it takes a few very fine passes on the lathe then a few minutes polishing to get it right.
    I like em baggy these days

Well , not baggy as such , but not snug .

I think having a square end is helpful
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 21-02-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    I like em baggy these days
    I much prefer Stainless steel but only because i make my own on the lathe where i can home in on a beautiful mirror finish sliding fit.
    They are stronger and more dependable and i just hate introducing plastics into a fine gun.
    in some cases Delrin flexes away from the perfect straight line and can yield at the base but i find the fact that they score on the surface after time the most annoying.

Also for the top hat which really gets a pounding.....if you do not want the bit of piston weighting of the steel you can always bore out the hat until it weighs just a few grams.
    Something like a 12 dia rod and rim to suit your piston x say 3mm lenght their drilled through with a 10 dia drill will reduce much of the weight but you get a reliable long life top hat.