Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your opinion on the late Airsporters?

Whats your opinion on the late Airsporters?

Hi

I was wondering what your opinions are on the later Airsporters? Also just to settle my curiosity did they ever make them in any calibre other than .22 and .177? I would especially like to know how accurate they are in .177? What is the value of one without sights and are they common?

Thanks in advance but finding a recent review has been difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi

I was wondering what your opinions are on the later Airsporters? Also just to settle my curiosity did they ever make them in any calibre other than .22 and .177? I would especially like to know how accurate they are in .177? What is the value of one without sights and are they common?

Thanks in advance but finding a recent review has been difficult.
    Airsporters are a good gun and can be found at resonable prices. The latter ones wernt has well built to my mind has the earlyier ones( mark1 and 2 ) , but did improve with the S and RB2 versions. Value, welll have a look on the chambers site and then add the value to any valuation your given on here

Thanks for that...I have never even seen a rotating breech Airsporter? Now that you have mentioned the S I am starting to want one! Is that the version with the thicker barrel? What was the heavier barrel for?

Thanks for that...I have never even seen a rotating breech Airsporter? Now that you have mentioned the S I am starting to want one! Is that the version with the thicker barrel? What was the heavier barrel for?
    yes thats right, heaver barell with 12 grove riffling, can be pellet fussey and the fit in the tap is cruceal. My own series 1 only became accurate with proper sized eley wasp pellets , these days have found a cheap allternative is Milbro twin ring pellets. Have allso been advised the definent pellets are ok but not found any one local who stocks them.

Is the pellet fit an issue for the .177 version?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Superdomes work well in my .177 RB2. Defiant's are pretty good also !
    Recently, I bought a box (off that site) of the new 5.6mm for older British airguns and I'm pleased with them especially in a .22 Webley E Series Premier.
    “An airgun or two”………

I dont have a .177 Airsporter sorry all .22, my Mercurey S is .177 and shots well with Air Arms domes so not really looked at allternatives. Its dure a tune up when I can get it down to my good friend Will Gerke aka Welsh - Willi. He works on all my springers has I cant do it myself anymore due to damaged hand and arm

Sorry to hear about your injuries mate... I am still jealous that you have a .177 Mercury S though! back in the day when these things were new my local shop seemed to only sell Rellums! Or Daisy and Crosman pump ups...

Airsporters died after the MK2

Sorry to hear about your injuries mate... I am still jealous that you have a .177 Mercury S though! back in the day when these things were new my local shop seemed to only sell Rellums! Or Daisy and Crosman pump ups...
    thanks could be worse, have 20% more use than doc said I would have after all , the Mercurey is often much more powerful than the airsporter due to lost volume in the tap. The original power value with a 14.5 grain pellet works out circa 550, 10ftlbs

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Airsporters died after the MK2
    mines a 65 model, leaking tap means cant get it above 8ftlbs, but hey still fun to shoot.

The power thing is handy to know...where the later Airsporters still doing 8ft/lb?

The power thing is handy to know...where the later Airsporters still doing 8ft/lb?
    no they varied something chronic, have one S that did 11.5 out of the box with eley wasp, then another that dose 11 with same pellets, then a Stutzen that dose 10.5 all day and seems happiest at that level. all in .22

I would stay away from the later Airsporters ie after the MK2 as they can be nightmare get a nice Mercury MK3 or S much better rifles IMHO and easy to strip and sort as long as the dreaded buffer has not seezed the piston
    A few nice rifles

That may be sound advice...how much does a Mercury S in .177 go for? I have a "friendly" contest in the summer and we are using rifles that were about when we were teenagers....I dont want to start an arms race but one of my mates was in the RAF and I cant have him winning this for obvious reasons.