Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance, Servicing and is Silicone Oil good or bad?

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    have a good look. MS4 in a tube is sillycone grease. you only got the clear oil when it is stood for months. trust me, i worked with this for 14 years.
    it went in ford cargo cab mounts. leyland sherpa anti roll bars. and some more. the good point, its heat proof. until one of our "engieers" takes an empty and sets about it with an angle grinder. no eyebrows. (we had some great "engineers")
    The letters MS on grease seem misleading while ms4 is silicone MS 2 is high pressure moly grease, what does ms stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    The letters MS on grease seem misleading while ms4 is silicone MS 2 is high pressure moly grease, what does ms stand for?
    its now called dc4

Product Code: Dow Corning DC4 grease ( MS 4 ) - Electrical Comp
    Dow Corning DC4 - EX MS4, Silicone grease electrical compound DC4 is a non melting, water proofing and insulating silicone compound for ignition systems, electronics equipment and block connector terminals

http://www.greyline.com/pdf/MSDS-DowCorning4.pdf

A non-melting, waterproofing and insulating silicone compound for ignition systems and electronic equipment. To specification MIL-59860-C.

Dow Corning DC4 is a dimethyl silicone compound for a variety of lubrication and protection applications. Uses of Dow Corning 4 Electrical Insulating Compound include:

Moisture-proof seal for aircraft, automotive and marine ignition systems and spark plug connections
    Waterproof electrical connections
    Electrical assemblies and terminals
    Seal and lubricant for cable connectors, battery terminals, rubber door seals and rubber and plastic O-rings
    Assembly lubricant for various metal-on-plastic and metal-on-rubber combinations
    Lubrication for control and pressure plug valves

Features: Maintains serviceable consistency from -70 to 400°F (-57 to 204°C), Practically nonvolatile, Odourless, Resistant to a wide range of chemicals; generally resistant to mineral oils, vegetable oils, air, dilute acids, alkalines and most aqueous solutions, Moisture resistant, Electrically insulating, Excellent rubber lubrication, Excellent release and sealing properties, Resistant to oxidation, Essentially nontoxic and nonmelting, Show little tendency to dry out in service.

Dimethyl silicone is a polymer that acts as an anti-foaming agent and a propellant
    Last edited by bighit; 27-03-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Molydebnrum Siicone.
    Last edited by max headroom; 30-03-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    Molydebnrum Siicone.
    Just looked it up it's molybdenum disulfide (MS2)
    The S is missleading.

Whatever the manufacturers intended, which I doubt is molybdenum silicone or molybdenum disulphide (which would be MD, wouldn't it?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Whatever the manufacturers intended, which I doubt is molybdenum silicone or molybdenum disulphide (which would be MD, wouldn't it?
    Not really
    http://cometoil.com/subPage.php?spageID=31&bankingID=6

I think you missed my point. We all know that that the chemical formula of molybdenum disulphide is MoS2, but just because a grease manufacturer calls a product 'MS something' does not necessarily mean that it contains molybdenum disulphide or anything else for that matter.

A grease cannot be pure molybdenum disulphide, because that is a powder, so even the so-called moly grease simply contains an often surprisingly small amount of MoS2 in a grease carrier.

If I was marketing a grease containing MoS2, I might just as well name it MD, for molybdenum disulphide, as anything else. Similarly, MS in the name might simply stand for 'more suckers' or 'makes sterling'. As I said, it stands for whatever the manufacturers want it to stand for and should not be taken as a reliable indication of content.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I think you missed my point. We all know that that the chemical formula of molybdenum disulphide is MoS2, but just because a grease manufacturer calls a product 'MS something' does not necessarily mean that it contains molybdenum disulphide or anything else for that matter.

A grease cannot be pure molybdenum disulphide, because that is a powder, so even the so-called moly grease simply contains an often surprisingly small amount of MoS2 in a grease carrier.

If I was marketing a grease containing MoS2, I might just as well name it MD, for molybdenum disulphide, as anything else. Similarly, MS in the name might simply stand for 'more suckers' or 'makes sterling'. As I said, it stands for whatever the manufacturers want it to stand for and should not be taken as a reliable indication of content.
    Why do so many call their lubes MS
    Even special airgun lubes like these are also called MS
    http://www.trrobb.com/Lubricant_Set_..._17055482.aspx

Forget all things Silicone now.....its gone lithium based greases...
    Tony Walls St2 or ST1
    Deal with silicone grease is when the silicone separates it will gall even hardened steel..
    Thus ....its not so much the mix as in the case of Molys but when it separates out...
    It can be something as simple as some Youngs or WD used elsewhere but gravitating causing the components of the silicone moly to separate but i have heard theories on great pressure forces causing it...in an industry completed unrelated to the gun trade.
    Its such mucky smell stuff anyway ...
    Another good alternative is lubriplate ....the original white grease.....fine with just a dab now that we got Delrin guides and top hats etc.
    Last edited by clarky; 30-03-2017 at 05:55 PM.

possibly because the people he buys it off calls it MS.

Castrol MS3 is a lithium based NLGI number 2 consistency smooth textured grease incorporating 3% molybdenum disulphide.
    Last edited by bighit; 30-03-2017 at 06:06 PM.

I really don't know, but at least two of those to which you linked don't contain any MoS2 whatsoever, so no connection there.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Forget all things Silicone now.....its gone lithium based greases...
    Tony Walls St2 or ST1
    Deal with silicone grease is when the silicone separates it will gall even hardened steel..
    Thus ....its not so much the mix as in the case of Molys but when it separates out...
    It can be something as simple as some Youngs or WD used elsewhere but gravitating causing the components of the silicone moly to separate but i have heard theories on great pressure forces causing it...in an industry completed unrelated to the gun trade.
    Who sells silicone moly grease? Is there such a thing.

It would be easily possible to add MoS2 to silicone grease, so I guess there must be someone that has done it.

... and they have - see Dow Corning M77
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 30-03-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

It would be easily possible to add MoS2 to silicone grease, so I guess there must be someone that has done it.

... and they have - see Dow Corning M77
    see max at metzeler. it was my job. bloody mixing it with xylene and trychoethelene and melted wax.

got a couple of tubes left.