Thread: Why do top end springers have mid to high swept volume?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Sorry, but i fundamentally disagree...
    No one who wants to stay in business is going to design an action solely for UK market. If a UK airgunner thinks SV is super important then he needs to get informed and make his choice. Luckily, these days, we have lots of choice. I find the tech talk and modifications really interesting but I could never get behind the idea that manufacturers were doing it wrong as implied a lot recently until someone got banned. Personally, I'd like a sleeved down 80 but would probably simply buy a 99 and add weight for eg.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    No one who wants to stay in business is going to design an action solely for UK market.
    It would probably be commercial suicide if they did POK.

Most manufacturers have the 12ftlb market covered in their product range anyway --- in fact I can't think of a point in my lifetime when UK springer fans had as much choice of guns as we have now.

All the best Mick

Agreed.

And many, many rifles with larger swept volumes can still be lovely to shoot at our limit. Indeed, some people will actually prefer the "lazier/softer" feel of some of these set-ups.

The majority of my guns are standard. One sleeved. A few Venom tuned. A few home "spit and polish" fettled. And I love them all.

And I have tried many heavily modded guns at The Bash events....reduced cylinder diameter, short strokes, lighter pistons, different piston seal set-ups......and they're all lovely!! I really appreciate the efforts of our resident expert "shed tuners", and many of their creations are utterly delicious. And long may it continue.

But that's not to say that the manufacturers' set-ups are disappointing and, as Mick says, these days we really are spoilt for choice for quality, accurate product.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    No one who wants to stay in business is going to design an action solely for UK market.
    yup completely agree... and that's where high end springers that are designed for far greater power outputs than ours arise... they may feel nice and soft at 12 FP, but they may also be hold and pellet sensitive, or at the very least sub optimal in terms of achievable accuracy...

It's not because they can't design for 12 FP, or don't know how to; it's because it's not commercially viable...

However, walther have the century and the LGV; same gun, just remove the sleave..., and 6 and 12 FP versions (changing the piston rod length) of the LGV and LGU, so quite why AA can't do a simple choice of piston rod length (mk1/2 for 12 FP, mk3 for fac) in the TX200 is a something of a mystery Can those two simple options really cost that much ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Tom and Longbow were a great idea also. One for export and shorter action for domestic, though both were popular worldwide.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yup completely agree... and that's where high end springers that are designed for far greater power outputs than ours arise... they may feel nice and soft at 12 FP, but they may also be hold and pellet sensitive, or at the very least sub optimal in terms of achievable accuracy...

It's not because they can't design for 12 FP, or don't know how to; it's because it's not commercially viable...

However, walther have the century and the LGV; same gun, just remove the sleave..., and 6 and 12 FP versions (changing the piston rod length) of the LGV and LGU, so quite why AA can't do a simple choice of piston rod length (mk1/2 for 12 FP, mk3 for fac) in the TX200 is a something of a mystery Can those two simple options really cost that much ?

JMO Jon but I like the mk 3 because I like the HC with its short lever and once propley tuned only 28lb effort at UK limit.

You are right about the Walther's if you like them they do cater for short stroke fans and are not low end rifles
    But the century don't seem much of magnum for the American market when you look at the competition.

Don't blame all the U.S.

Don't blame all of us, but maybe 99% can be blamed. I'm the pellet gun guy that all my friends and neighbors know and I get all the questions. No matter how hard I try to explain, the only thing they see is Gamo's 1600 fps ads. I'm often informed that you can kill deer and hogs with airguns as well. Have a read over on the Yellow Forum and you'll see that the springer is pretty much dead and big bore, huge power pcp's rule the roost. Makes me sick. Come on Air Arms, bring back the MarkI/II stroke guns.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Don't blame all of us, but maybe 99% can be blamed. I'm the pellet gun guy that all my friends and neighbors know and I get all the questions. No matter how hard I try to explain, the only thing they see is Gamo's 1600 fps ads. I'm often informed that you can kill deer and hogs with airguns as well. Have a read over on the Yellow Forum and you'll see that the springer is pretty much dead and big bore, huge power pcp's rule the roost. Makes me sick. Come on Air Arms, bring back the MarkI/II stroke guns.
    LOL I don't think that all airgunners in America would agree with you about PCPs

http://www.network54.com/Forum/18447...r+Rifle+trends