Thread: Another pistol competition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Question for the learned ones.

When you are a crap shot what is the recommended method for zeroing a pistol on iron sights? My hands waving all over the place and it doesnt get much better if I use two hands and rest on a soft support.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post

When you are a crap shot what is the recommended method for zeroing a pistol on iron sights? My hands waving all over the place and it doesnt get much better if I use two hands and rest on a soft support.

Zeroing a pistol.

Two hands and rested if it's a recoilless type, i.e. a single stroke pneumatic.

Other than that, just remember to set your sights so that the black part of the target sits on top of the sight picture, it's much easier to judge the gap between the black blob and a flat line rather than trying to cut the blob in half.

Then do 5 or 10 shots one handed in the proper stance, and if you can get a group, use that to finely adjust your sights. Don't ever adjust them off just 1 or 2 shots.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Merry Christmas Everyone..

Just to say I'll be joining in the fun on this one if you dont mind, sounds great..

IZH 46M @ 6yards with scaled down targets. I'll get the results up soon as poss, hopefully after the weekend..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post

For your sight picture, you will probably find it better if you aim "sub six", with the 6 ring showing between the top of the front sight and the black. Trying to set the black on top of the front sight, you will get them both blending together due to refraction.

Zeroing. With a recoilless pistol, you could set it in a vice and zero it, but then, shooting offhand, would most certainly be shooting off centre, because everyone has a different "hold".

Assuming you are landing on the card, shoot 10 to 20 shots and try to make out if you have a group pattern (ignore the flyers). Try to bring the group to the centre of the target, a couple of clicks at a time. When reasonably centred, concentrate on reducing group size. As time goes on, re-centre the group. Do NOT aim at shooting tens, they will come automatically. Do NOT chase the bull with the sights after each group. Shoot groups and try to become consistent.

Check out:
    http://www.targettalk.org/viewforum....days=0&start=0

There's a lot of in-depth discussion by real experts, but they are quite happy to discuss with any interested shooters of any standard. Much the same as this board. Target Talk is run by Pilkguns, a US shop catering for target shooters up to Olympic level. LOTS of good info on their site, written by champions.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.