Thread: Park 93

Park 93

I thought I'd give my opinion on this one as there won't be many out there to argue with me .

Number one, it's one hell of a big heavy lump. It's a big strong lad's gun. Anorexic racing ferrets, forget it. Not aesthetically beautiful, but handsome in a rugged sort of way. Well put together, with a good lump of walnut under it. Mine has pretty plain figuring, but it's nicer than plain beech.

Before you consider one of these, have a few months on a bullworker first. You'll need it to cock the Park. The cocking is achieved by pulling a very short (too short?) cocking lever which acts upon a motorcycle chain to set the twin opposing pistons.

Loading the pellet is a doddle, using a side loading bolt, much like the Theoben rapids. Good safety catch at the rear of the action. Easily thumbed down before taking the shot.

Trigger is a bit iffy. Plenty of work on it can get good results, but it's much stiffer, heavy, and impresice for my taste without a bit of work on it. Once set up to your personal preferences, it holds well.

The actual firing cycle is smooth as silk. Very like the much vaunted Whiscombe, but without the price tag. Little or no recoil. I can place a pellet on the elevetion turret of mine, fire it, and the pellet stays put. That'll do for me.

Accuracy. Mine's a .22, so the accuracy is not as good as a .177. Saying that, it will match a .177 out to 40yds on a nice calm day, from one hole groups out to 30yds and less than 1/2" at 40 yds. After 40yds, it starts to open out a bit: On a calm day it will do sub 1" out to 55yds. Wind affects the .22 much more than the .177.

DOWNSIDE:
    Major difficulties getting spares.
    Bigger difficulties getting someone brave enough, and knowledgable enough to open one up and service it for you. (But these guys are out there).

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's a shame this rifle did not get further development. I can't remember exactly but I think the chap who designed it also designed the incredibly ugly but solid Sterling HR81. If you plotted the development from HR81 to Park 91/93 then extrapolate this learning curve to the third generation gun it would have been a super-springer on the level with the Whiscombe but at a third of the price. Although I guess having the long transfer port necessary on a piggy-back design will never make for an efficient springer. And the poor thing came out just when PCPs were sweeping the nation. If the trigger had been sorted and the weight problem addressed and a longer cocking lever fitted... The idea was great but came about 5 years too late. If it had used the Reckord trigger unit, even under license from HW it would have made a fantastic rifle even if it was a bit heavy.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 11-06-2005 at 12:53 AM.

Roy Hutchinson was the designer (he was also involved in the BSA VS2000)

HTH

familytales Guest
    How much does the Park weigh scoped please?

Quote Originally Posted by familytales
    How much does the Park weigh scoped please?
    Nearly 13 lb with a Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite 6-24 x 40.

Sam Guest
    The RH93 weighs in at just over 10lb unscoped (10lb 2 IIRC).
    I'm mid way to restoring a nice 93 at the moment, hopefully get some pics and a few words from her new owner when its up and running.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    i want one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee
    i want one now.
    Here, have this one.

Don't ask why the pic appears instead of the link. I aint gorra clue

familytales Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowl bugle
    Don't ask why the pic appears instead of the link. I aint gorra clue
    Hang on, I thought we couldn't post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl bugle
    Nearly 13 lb with a Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite 6-24 x 40.
    Blimey! See what you mean about the bullworker.
    Last edited by familytales; 12-06-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee
    It's a shame this rifle did not get further development. I can't remember exactly but I think the chap who designed it also designed the incredibly ugly but solid Sterling HR81. If you plotted the development from HR81 to Park 91/93 then extrapolate this learning curve to the third generation gun it would have been a super-springer on the level with the Whiscombe but at a third of the price. Although I guess having the long transfer port necessary on a piggy-back design will never make for an efficient springer. And the poor thing came out just when PCPs were sweeping the nation. If the trigger had been sorted and the weight problem addressed and a longer cocking lever fitted... The idea was great but came about 5 years too late. If it had used the Reckord trigger unit, even under license from HW it would have made a fantastic rifle even if it was a bit heavy.
    Alistair to think I sold you a HR81 at such a good price! If i'd realised what a clever chap you were I would've got your autograph along with the cash.
    How do you come to the conclusion that the 'Mark Three' would be a third of the JW price? Whiscombe can't keep up with demand so why should a rival 'recoil free springer' be sold cheaply? I certainly wouldn't sell it cheaply. Theoben continues to show that technological advances can still command a price premium.

More piccies (Park rh91w)

I know this thread is some 13 years old , but.
    I have been handed one of these rifles for a , well he said it was a tune up, but on cocking it and putting a pellet in the breech all feels good,
    that is until you pull the trigger Pht nothing out the other end of the gun . First thoughts were a stuck pellet but the rod showed it was clear
    and even the pellet was un damaged. Re cocked and another pellet in , but this time i listened at the breech area and sure enough i heard a slight hiss of air.
    So this baby needs stripping down, has anyone got a guide/PDF so i am not going into it blind.
    daz
    .177 Daystate Regal
    .177 AA TDR .177 HW 97kt .177 Falcon FN8 .177 Beeman P98
    .177 rules it does for me