Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BSA Buccaneer

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter
    Best thing to do with that is to cut the stock forend down to take a 'Scorpion' action and barrel, spray the stock with acrylic satin black and you have then got a 'Shadow', a very rare derivative of the Scorpion.
    I would have thought the cylinder was too pitted to be blued, and if you turned it to remove the pitting you would remove most of the lettering and the very shallow scope grooves.
    A skeleton type wire stock was marketed by 'Sportsmatch' to fit the Scorpion, but when I spoke to Mr. Ford some years ago he remembered producing it but said that no trace of it remained on their premises.
    BSA actually produced a Scorpion in a kit with the ABS shoulder stock as well as the standard grip, but I have never seen a boxed one yet. Another item on my wish list.
    Was it the Shadow that was featured in one of the magazines in the 80's, they used it for hunting in and around a barn IIRC.

I think we will probably get away with the reblue, but it will have to be Shaun at ISP behind the buffer.

Like I said before the HW35E I rescued was in a worse condition than this one and it looks pretty darn good now.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Spot the difference

This is the cylinder, just out of the oven, cooling before being rubbed down again.

Rich

Now rubbed and polished, the pic doesn't actually do it justice!

Rich

Pardon my ignorance, but what's it doing in the oven in the first place if you are going to get Shaun to re-blue it?

Pardon my ignorance, but what's it doing in the oven in the first place if you are going to get Shaun to re-blue it?
    The missing phrase was "when I can afford it", it certainly won't be this side of Christmas. There are two other rifles that need the treatment too.

So, in the meantime I'm just trying to do a 'proper job'.

ATB

Rich

What finish are you 'Baking' on?
    I tend to look at Air Guns from a collectors perspective, so anything that detracts from it's original finish is a definite no no.
    As it is a gun that you want to use, the external appearance is not so important, so I hope the internals can be brought up to spec. and that it produces close to the 6ft.lb. that it was designed to.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    i fink the buccaneer can do 7 or 7.5 footies with its long barrel and rifle status at least in .22 .

I tend to look at Air Guns from a collectors perspective, so anything that detracts from it's original finish is a definite no no.
    As it is a gun that you want to use, the external appearance is not so important, so I hope the internals can be brought up to spec. and that it produces close to the 6ft.lb. that it was designed to.
    It's an acrylic enamel type paint which actually looks very similar to the epoxy finish that BSA was using at the time, Like I said though, this rifle was blued and ideally I would like to return it to this state, the stuff i'm putting on now will preserve the metalwork until such time I can afford to get it done properly. From past experience, if I don't use some heat to cure the paint it will come off in lumps with every little knock.

Rich

Spring guide

Below is the new spring guide, fresh off the lathe, the old (short) guide is shown for comparison.

Rich

Also, from my memories of my Meteor and Airsporter 'S' from those days, I would have to specify that whoever blues it does so without polishing it, I seem to remember the Airsporter was covered in machining marks.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22
    Also, from my memories of my Meteor and Airsporter 'S' from those days, I would have to specify that whoever blues it does so without polishing it, I seem to remember the Airsporter was covered in machining marks.

Rich
    I have several early Mk.1 Airsporters with very few machining marks, but even some Webley's have machining marks and directional finishing marks on them.
    If you have milling capabilities on your lathe, I would suggest the scope grooves need some attention.

I have several early Mk.1 Airsporters with very few machining marks, but even some Webley's have machining marks and directional finishing marks on them.
    If you have milling capabilities on your lathe, I would suggest the scope grooves need some attention.
    This was more than some, and I think it was a MkVII. I wish I had milling capability, 'fraid not though!

Rich

P.S

I was serious about wnting one if anyone out there wants to sell

Right, cylinder and barrel all done, just honing the inside of the cylinder now. The order for missing bits has gone off to Chambers, wouldn't be surprised if it all arrives in the morning but I'll be happy with Saturday.

The Superstar mainspring and piston liner have been suitably cut down, don't know if it will work but it has the same number of coils now as the original Buccaneer spring. The new brass guide fits nice and closely and is longer so it should reduce the chance of another 'S' shaped spring and work with the piston liner to reduce the twang on firing.

Rich

Nice pics Rich, thanks for taking the time. Its nice to see someone else working hard on an old dog.

From the look of the pitting on the cylinder you may well be best off sticking with the paint finish, by the time those pits get polished out the cylinder will be starting to get a bit thin.

I look forward to seeing the finished article as I don't think I've come across one before.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it