Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never let go of your barrel when.....

Talking Never let go of your barrel when.....

cocking your break barrel gun as a USA airgunner has just found out the end result.

Now you really didn't want to do that did you..
    Old soldiers never die,They just get mothballed..

drivR Guest
    Wow! I never realized it could do that. I guess I need to change the way I hold it when I cock it. I break it down, holding with one had at the pistol grip/trigger and put the pellet in with the other. Almost sounds like I need a third hand. :\

bud Guest
    I wonder if the fire wood had an anti-beartrap?Always hold Barrel in hand, butt in hip-groin area and you won't end up with fire wood or a bent barrel,or anything else bent! Bud

Angry I'm not sure, but looking at the trigger group...

Originally posted by bud
    I wonder if the fire wood had an anti-beartrap?Always hold Barrel in hand, butt in hip-groin area and you won't end up with fire wood or a bent barrel,or anything else bent! Bud
    ...suggests an HW product with auto-safety.

So whoever did the foul deed probably had to work at it - unless the gun was defective.

Anyway - I hope there was no injury.

Steve

Arrow Here's the picture with contrast stretched a bit...

...make it a bit clearer

What I do (with breakbarrels and underlevers) is...

Originally posted by drivR
    Wow! I never realized it could do that. I guess I need to change the way I hold it when I cock it. I break it down, holding with one had at the pistol grip/trigger and put the pellet in with the other. Almost sounds like I need a third hand. :\
    ...support the gun with my left hand holding the barrel/lever with the butt tucked in my right armpit.

This frees my right hand for loading.

I don't own a side-lever but suspect the only safe way to load THEM is with your left.

Steve

The gun is an R9 = HW95 he lost his grip of the barrel when the gun was almost fully cocked.
    He did it twice first time he got a bent barrel second time the stock broke.
    click link below for more details and bigger picture

http://www.straightshooters.com/cgi-...57-1277+0e.htm
    Last edited by Andyman; 14-02-2004 at 04:01 PM.

What a dissapointment
    I was looking forward to seeing half a thumb chopped off and stuck in a breach
    They said you can't polish sh*t.. well mine's chrome plated

Paul Hudson Guest
    HW97, HW77 and TX200 variants tend to blow bits of the severed thumb down the barrel rather than leave it stuck in the breach

Break-barrels are a little more "forgiving" - but I've actually seen someone put a fair sized dent in their forehead with the foresight... he was lucky (if that's the right word) that the blade was shrouded.

Paul.

MountainLyon Guest
    I sure restrain the levers of my springers now since the Patriot bear-trapped! Before that, I never did. Heck, even the Patriot owners manual shows a guy loading one unrestrained If you've never seen it happen, the bear-trap comparison is a good one. Nobody's reflexes are quick enough to get your fingers out in time. I almost quit shooting completely, but a rat on the bird feeder cured me of that. I now hold the lever of my FWB65 open against my body and I load my P1(HW45) and R1(HW80) before cocking them. Hopefully the dealer can find what's wrong and get me a refund. This Patriot was a replacement for another defect that had the slots cut crooked in the (walnut) stock. Now I wish I had just kept that one!

Unfortunately Ive also been there & done that, snapped the stock on an old BSA Cadet Major when I had tweeked the trigger to be just a bit too light.
    I tell you now that it happens so quickly and its such an explosion of wood and parts that it took me about 5 mins to work out what had happened and that I still had all my fingers attached.
    Always hold the barrel or underlever

very scary

Unhappy Not that I'm looking for gruesome details, ML, but...

Originally posted by MountainLyon
    I sure restrain the levers of my springers now since the Patriot bear-trapped! Before that, I never did. Heck, even the Patriot owners manual shows a guy loading one unrestrained If you've never seen it happen, the bear-trap comparison is a good one. Nobody's reflexes are quick enough to get your fingers out in time. ...
    ...were you hurt?

Steve

MountainLyon Guest
    Hi Steve. Luckily, I was grabbing a pellet at the time and not yet loading it. If you remember a couple weeks ago on the yellow forum, Tony brought up the question of how could this happen. We had been talking via e-mail about going turkey hunting and I told him what happened. So that string was actually about my Patriot. Have you read my post below that started this one? What do you think went wrong? Someone mentioned that they had heard of the same thing being discussed on another forum and they were going to look for it for me.
    Last edited by MountainLyon; 14-02-2004 at 08:53 PM.

drivR Guest
    Originally posted by unqualifieduser
    HW97, HW77 and TX200 variants tend to blow bits of the severed thumb down the barrel rather than leave it stuck in the breach
    Paul.
    So even on a underlever you need to hold on to it? I thought that was what the bear trap was for?

Jim