Thread: Hi from a newbie, and a little advice if i may...

Hi from a newbie, and a little advice if i may...

This appears an informative site with knowledgeable individuals, so perhaps you may be able to impart some knowledge in my direction. I'm returning to the sport after a long lay-off and I'm not up to speed on modern air guns, in fact the last one i bought was more years ago than i care to admit (late '70's BSA meteor). How would that rifle sit power wise with todays legal limit guns? I'm looking to buy something thats up to date and will serve well for vermin dispatching,now considering I've only ever used springers so should i continue in that vein or should i consider entering the unknown (to me) world of pcp's - i would assume they are chalk and cheese. What springers are worthy of my attention, i don't need a gun thats a work of art, just reliability and consistency but also capable of delivering enough energy to enable a clean kill (my aiming permitting of course) is 12ft/lbs more than adequate for rabbits etc? Thanks.

edit:typo.
    Last edited by ohreally; 14-02-2006 at 10:38 PM.

I Think the spring gun hierarchy works thus, but I may be shot down here,

top of the pile is Air Arms, followed by Weihrauch, then Webley, to BSA/Gamo to cometa, and last of all (at the moment), come the chinese trash.

Pcp's have a totally dead firing cycle so there is no recoil, and you have to factor in the charging kit when buying one...

There are a couple of HW97 lazaglides on the For sale section at the moment that may well be worth looking at, also I noticed a couple of pro sports.
    Best bet would be to get to a local club, have a look round, most members at most clubs will let you fondle their rifles, and make up your own mind from there...

Good luck, and welcome to the BBS....

Jay

running round the wild's of somerset in a pink rom
    welcome ohreally,im new here to but have been shooting a while,as for guns there are some great springers and pcps.i dont know so much about pcps but ive had a couple of springers and i like em,you could go to a range and trtry some guns maybe,most airgunners are friendly.air arms springers are good but im biased,weihrauch are good,just dont buy a B2.im sure others will add ther veiws
    wiggles

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Probably the best thing you could do is go to your local club and try as many different guns as possible. Choosing a gun is more about what you feel comfortable using as you will shoot better with it that being the case.

Hi there,

Welcome to the BBS!

When you get a sec, take a little time to fill in your profile, folk can get a bit funny about that on here.

In terms of springers, there's quite a few of us out there still shooting the venerable Meteor, which is usually sitting around the 2/3rds of full power mark, but has probably taken more game over the years than any other air rifle available.

As mentioned above Air Arms, HW, BSA, Webley et al all make decent spring rifles. the best advice is generally to get yourself down to a local club where people are usually only too happy to show you round the various rifles available, again filling in your location would aid in this. Short of that, a decent gun shop should allow you to try a range of rifles so you can see what suits you the best.

Cheers

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

ianps Guest
    I find my BSA lightning to be excellent value for money. I think its a great looking carbine (early walnut job not XL) full power and more accuate than me. In short if you want a cheapish, sexy, reliable springer I would reccomend the above.
    Ian
    BSA Meteor ahh them were the days.
    Incidentally I dont think theres much comparison between the early stuff we oldies shot and the new generation of rifles.

Darren Petts Guest
    Meteors typically made 8-10 ft/lb. As said above get to a local club before you part with any money.

Thanks for the feedback. Could someone point out the differences between HW80 & HW95 and pros and cons of each, thanks.