Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: General Shooting Tips

Hold the Barrel when loading a Springer

Some great pieces of advice and common sense in the thread.
    Re. holding the barrel, I was with a school group once when I told them this and the teacher put his hand up and said. "Otherwise you might end up with a permanent scar like this!". The skin between his thumb and first finger had been sliced by an air rifle during loading when he was at school as a child.
    The follow on is that the Centre he was at took him off to the local hospital. The school was informed and the school sent a message to his Mother who was at work. Rather than being told her son had had his hand trapped and had gone to casualty. Mum was informed that her son had been involved in a firearm's incident and had been taken to A+E. The same message but this version sounded a little more urgent. His mother got a speeding ticket !!!

Very useful thread for a newbie so to speak like myself just starting out. thanks

As an ex Military weapons instructors ( skillie) I definitely agree with all the safety tips in the previous comments.
    As an aside, to assist in members shooting skills may I recite the marksmanship principals,

1. The position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon. ( Your firing position, kneeling,sitting,squatting,standing or prone, either supported or unsupported, and the way you hold the weapon in the shoulder)

2. The weapon must point naturally at the target without undue physical effort. ( Once the weapon is lined up with the target move the body to the weapon into a relaxed comfortable position, don’t twist the body to be able to sight the target)

3. Sight alignment and sight picture must be correct. ( Eye, sight and target should be in line with a good centralised picture)

4. The shot must be released and followed through without any disturbance of the position. ( Regulated breathing and correct trigger action will follow through the shot without disturbing the position)

Adaptation of all 4 marksmanship principals will definitely make you a better shot, whether target shooting or vermin/sports hunting.However if new to shooting, then start at principle 1, work on it until you achieve your own acceptable firing positions and hold, then move on to principal 2 and so on.

Hope this will help some members if they didn’t know these principals.
    Cheers

Very good thread, and should be read by all new joiners. It should be kept current.

great tips for newbie thank you

Safe Shooting

SuperMicks list is a must, but would like to add before you shoot you must survey the area your shooting, know the place or ground your on and make sure your back drop is safe.
    Do this and always be vigilant and aware to make sure you and anything around you will be safe.
    Follow the tips from SuperMicks post in relation to handling the gun and you will find you will relax and enjoy your sport.
    Happy shooting.
    Regards
    Tony

Shooting Tips

Safe Shooting
    SuperMicks list is a must, but would like to add before you shoot you must survey the area your shooting, know the place or ground your on and make sure your back drop is safe.
    Do this and always be vigilant and aware to make sure you and anything around you will be safe.
    Follow the tips from SuperMicks post in relation to handling the gun and you will find you will relax and enjoy your sport.
    Happy shooting.
    Regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Supermick View Post
    Tip Numbers 1 to 10
    Tip Detail
    1 Join the Airgun BBS
    http://www.airgunbbs.com
    2 Always treat rifle as if its loaded
    3 Always keep your hand on the barrel or underlever of a springer when cocking.
    4 Join the BASC and/or BASA and join an airgun club
    5 Squeeze, don't pull or jerk the trigger
    6 check charging equipment before use for tightness.
    7 Never point a weapon in jest.
    8 Always try a gun before you buy
    9 Never leave a loaded gun unattended....even for a second
    10 if its got a safety catch....use it

Bullbarrell and many others

Quote Originally Posted by Cfed85 View Post
    Actually some great advice there. Be amazed how many people I've seen not taking hold of the barrel when loading.
    It's messed up that some people don't value their fingers as much as others do.
    Personally I like to finish the day with the same amount of fingers as I started it with

Though I am a noob in this. All tips sound so interesting. A very informative forum, I must say.

Incline shooting

Hi all,
    Last edited by Hftmelton; 16-04-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Some great tips here, on safety and on technique. I never considered joining BASC - I always thought of them as a wildfowling club! Now I know better

Quote Originally Posted by Wattsy View Post
    i always got taught that just because the safety's on it doesn't mean the gun won't go off
    That is true think once think twice
    Stay safe be safe

Safety

Safety first, second and third

Interesting reading

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Is there any tips on how to stop my shoulder going out when holdng unsupported?

I'm going to put adaptions in anyway as I've got a spinal injury but currently I shoot on my garden range with my back supported upright, right hand on the trigger and left on the foregrip and I keep finding after 20-40 shots my left shoulder gives out, doesn't seem to be related to Rifle weight either as it happens as much with the Daisy that weighs nothing as it does with something like my BSA or Webley, I'm also a big guy to boot.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

some top advice there