Thread: CZ Varment .17 HMR

cwapshot Guest

CZ Varment .17 HMR

Absolutely brilliant!
    This rifle is well made and at 100yds is printing a ragged one hole group with the aid of a Harris bipod and 6-24 x44AO mildot scope.

The properties of the ammunition are amazing for it's flat trajectory and energy retention/delivery at the target.

The rifle is constructed from good quality materials, not a single plastic part to fall off or fail and is very well presented overall with a nice piece of woodwork should this be your thing.
    The barrel is threaded for a moderator at the factory and in my case is fitted with the compact SAK moderator. This greatly reduces muzzle blast but does little for the supersonic crack of the hmr round as it speeds to its destination.
    The trigger seems to be the 1st thing people tweak with an Eric Brookes trigger kit @£12 from South Yorksire shooting supplies.
    Mine was fine from the box with a let off pressure of 2 3/4lbs and just the merest hint of creep. I tend to take the view that these are sporting/hunting tools rather than out and out target rifles and will leave the trigger alone.
    What more can I say an excellent bit of kit and the rifle alone brand new was less than £260!

Hmr ammunition prices are falling rapidly now that the gun trade has realised that people won't pay ridiculous prices just because something is new and long may this continue.

Do your homework and shop around and you'll be able to put together a complete quality hunting rig at a price far less than some other manufacturers are charging for their rifle alone!
    I now look at my .22 rimmy as something of a toy or close range plinker since the .17 arrived. True it has it's uses and always will do but has nowher near the reach or clout of the Hmr. Also as far as richochets are concerned with over 600 rounds from the .17 down the tube over fairly flat terrain I 've not had a single whizzer occur!!. These rounds just break up and fragment unlike the ****** .22 lead lump
    Cheers all, Just my tuppence worth on a great bit of kit. Well done CZ
    John.

Old-gun Guest
    yes i must admit i like the idea of a 177 high velocity rifle ..what sort of feet per second do you think it can do ..
    a friend of mine had a 243 that he said could do 4000 fps .with light bullets .wow way to go .
    but the lightweight 17 should be faster me thinks

cwapshot Guest

Velocity

Hiya
    I don't know about the other brands but the original Hornady .17's are turning in 2690 at the muzzle of mine. Not as fast as the centrefire rounds but at least the barrel will last a lot longer!!

Cheers

Old-gun Guest
    Mmm i'm surprised ,my old 303 could do that kind of speed, and that had a 180 gram bullet .i would have thought that the small bullet would be very fast . still maybe the cartridge cant hold enough powder for very high velocity ..do they make any hot rounds for that caliber ?

This is great news lads as my CZ.17hmr will be with me next week they tell me .I was wondering about the choice of moderaters i am useing a parker hale on my cz 452 .22lr and that works great just a little long and a little heavey if anything .i may even try the parkerhale as well for a conparison i was hoping to put a sako on the .17hmr i hope it works aswell rgds Tim

QUOTE[I was wondering about the choice of moderaters]
    So far the best mod i've used on the .17 HMR is the ASE UTRA at about £60.
    HTH,
    Tony.

cwapshot : CZ 452 - 2E ZKM VARMINT

cwapshot; Is this the weapon you are talking about ?
    In the .17 hmr - version ?

firestarter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-Git
    Mmm i'm surprised ,my old 303 could do that kind of speed, and that had a 180 gram bullet .i would have thought that the small bullet would be very fast . still maybe the cartridge cant hold enough powder for very high velocity ..do they make any hot rounds for that caliber ?
    its rimfire m8 the problem is that the rim has to crush to ignight the charge if the rim is too thick then it cannot ,therfore the achevable preasure before the case bursts isnt as gr8 as on a centerfire cartridge .17 remington uses similar bullet to the hmr generates about 600(ish) ft lb compared to the 250(ish) ftlb the hmr

.17 hmr

Glad your pleased with the rifle, but is it so accurate,? a .17 hmr sub 1 m.o.a. at 100 yards, and a cheap one at that!. Will it do the same groups time and time again. Sounds like you have a very special rifle, All the best. Allen.

.17 hrm

I was also astonished at the claims that were made about this ammo.
    In the mean time I have read some articles (reviews) of this ammo with different guns. They all seem to confirm the consistency and accuracy of this ammo, just as cwapshot discribed.
    The only problem seems to be that the ammunition is the victim of its own success, and that there seems to be a supply problem.
    Kind regards,
    Wim

zooankski Guest
    i am getting sub 1" groups regularly at 100yds with my shortened 16" .17 varmint albiet depending on wind as the .17 round is easily blown about.
    still not sure about the 17 grn federal yet but when i get more time i will give them a good usage and compare them with the 20 grn hornady.
    Personally i still feel the ammunition is over priced here!

3-2-1-Shoot

wahw !!!
    http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.wmv
    and this with only a .17 ?