Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Account for "free rifle combo"

Account for "free rifle combo"

Ok...following on from some of the comments on a previous thread, it was suggested that an account be set up with JSR so that members could pop in a small donation (say a quid)....9000 members..it would soon add up.

I spoke to Ed and unfortunately he is too busy to set this up and monitor whats going in, so i'm looking for suggestions as to how we can set this up.....i have both a personal and business acct with HSBC so i could ask them how to proceed.

I'm more than willing to set up an account and each week keep posting the amounts coming in, but with everything, it comes down to trust......although please bear in mind i've already put a couple of hundred of my own money(from sales) into the "free rifle combo" fund.

Ideally the BBS members would be able to hand over a combo to a club and then a youngster(in rotation) at every UKAHFT shoot....and i'm sure that most people would agree that a quid isn't a lot of money compared to the possibility of so much new blood coming into the sport

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.....see some of you at Shepreth
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Willyleigh is offline Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobiac
    Couldn't u set up a paypal account to all pay in to?

No idea.......i personally don't like the Paypal thing as i've heard a few stories about them not being bothered when things go pear shaped.

Also if it were an ordinary account and we posted the account no and sort code on the BBS(so peeps could do a switch transaction).....could that be open to fraud
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    No idea.......i personally don't like the Paypal thing as i've heard a few stories about them not being bothered when things go pear shaped.

Also if it were an ordinary account and we posted the account no and sort code on the BBS(so peeps could do a switch transaction).....could that be open to fraud
    Can't see how it could go wrong with paypal, you're not selling anything merely accepting donations. I know it would be easier for me to donate using this method. Only thing is unless you set up a business account you would have to empty the funds into a bank account when they reach a certain amount.

Perhaps paypal and a new* bank account opened just to withdraw the donations from paypal? (* not doubting your honesty, just thought it might be easier for you to keep track this way).

Steve...if i set up a paypal account...is there a way to post the details on a thread without it being open to fraud........have to admit to being a paypal dummy but with hindsight it seems to be the easiest and safest option

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    Steve...if i set up a paypal account...is there a way to post the details on a thread without it being open to fraud........have to admit to being a paypal dummy but with hindsight it seems to be the easiest and safest option
    There's the rub I'm afraid, all you need to pay someone with paypal is their paypal e-mail address, unfortunately you would obviously have to make this public to get donations (I see your point re: paypal now).

Edit: The only way I can think of is to keep the paypal address private and have members on here mail you (and maybe a few other trusted members) for it (and include their username) if they wish to donate. But this will involve a lot of time and work for you.

I don't see the security problem with a paypal account. Once you have an account you can set up a number of alternative email addresses that pay into it by going to Profile from your account summary page and entering them there. You could get Geordie here to give you e.g. combo @ airgunbbsmail.co.uk and we could send money to paypal using that addy. Doesn't matter if people know your payal addy as long as your password is secret.
    Last edited by Garvin; 23-06-2006 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Edited: for discretion

Paypal get twitchy one over£4500 has gone through an account and you then have to start filling in all your crdit card, bank aco**** details and other stuff, they say it is to prevent money laundering.

Also you are restricted to the amount that can be withdrawn in one go (not sure how much this is)

And for every payment that goes inot the Paypal account they take a cut of about 30pence per transaction.

I would give Paypal a miss to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by tonnee
    Paypal get twitchy one over£4500 has gone through an account and you then have to start filling in all your crdit card, bank aco**** details and other stuff, they say it is to prevent money laundering.

Also you are restricted to the amount that can be withdrawn in one go (not sure how much this is)

And for every payment that goes inot the Paypal account they take a cut of about 30pence per transaction.

I would give Paypal a miss to be honest
    True enough. But it might encourage more donations, since probably more people have paypal accounts than do online banking.

True, Paypal is probably the simplest and easiest solution.

But put it this way if all 9000 member donated £1 each that would cost £2700 in Paypal Fees !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin
    You could get Geordie here to give you e.g. combo @ airgunbbsmail.co.uk and we could send money to paypal using that addy. Doesn't matter if people know your payal addy as long as your password is secret.
    Yeah, I could do that if required

Chris

Re Paypal - I have been using it for 5 years now - for payments to be paid into an account you merely give out the email address that is registered to the Paypal account - people then use this to pay - do not see how this could be open to fraud at all, as all Paypal users freely give this out when they need to be paid via the system ..... you just need to keep the password on the account privvy to just yourself for removing funds

Also, never respond to ANY email from anyone asking you to 'confirm/validate' your account for any reason ..... Paypal will NEVER you to do this particularly if the 'web site' you are sent to requires private/personal info

If you do receive an email requesting this - delete it - if paypal REALLY need to get in touch they will use other means - and even then they will NEVER ask for personal info

The only issue I see is that for each donation, say of £1, there is a 0.25p Paypal charge (20p/transaction regardless of amount + approx 3% fee)

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie
    Yeah, I could do that if required
    Didn't mean to take your goodwill for granted there mate......

Looks as if the Paypal acct is the way to go, i've asked Geordie for help in setting it up....hopefully with the BBS email addy mentioned before..Thanks for all the replies and lets hope we can get this off the ground.

I remember the very first time a mate of my dads took me shooting, and i can remember in vivid detail the first time i hit the coke can .....i just want to pass that feeling onto as many kids as we can. BTW i've already got 20quid to start the acct off(Kingplinker's buying some stuff off me at Shepreth..top bloke is our Dave)

would talking to pay pal and telling them the purpose of the account not help maybe rules could be bent if you make it an offical corse