Hello everyone,

I'm a complete novice (at the moment) and am looking at getting an airgun initially to deal with some rats as a humane alternative to (slow) poisoning the poor buggers. Actually that is not entirely true as I used to shoot in a small pub league and have fancied getting a gun for some years.

Anyway, I know little about air guns except what I have read over the last few days.

I have set myself a budget of £200 (ish) and have looked at a couple of guns. First of all I was thinking of a BSA Meteor then oh I dunno been through lots of possibilities but am now thinking of a Gamo CFX because I've sort of decided I prefer an underlever rifle. Having then discovered this site I think Gamo's might not be favourites?

So, I'm sure this has been asked millions of times before but - what would people recommend I consider?

A couple of details which may or may not inform:

-I live in the middle of a large town, but with a big garden sloping up to a substantial wall.

-Live 'targets' are going to be around 10 metres away

-I won't be shooting any other animals except a family of rats (and would rather not be shooting them)

-I won't be aiming at the rats until I'm satisfied I will hit them.

Thanks - all advice will be gratefully received.