Thread: scope query

scope query

I am looking to get a scope with better optics in the next couple of months. at present i have an 8 - 18 * 42 tasco scope, does the job well but, my left eye doesn't work quite as well as it should. this to me seems like as good an excuse as any other to spend some cash!!!!

i have thought about getting a fixed mag, fixed objective scope with a mil dot ret on it and was wondering if anyone uses one for hunting and what success you have with it.

my other thought was to go for a variable mag scope with a larger objective as i loved the ammount of light the 3-9*50 tasco i had on my s10 brought in.

my question really is what is there out there that i should steer clear of and what is out there that is the dogs boo-lox and well worth the money with good optics??

Smile

Really depends on a number of things mate, your budget, Illuminated reticle interest you? For hunting, personally I'd say go variable zoom, gives you better field of view options and more versatility. Do you want a paralax adjustable scope? Improves accuracy (when used correctly) Sidewheel focus (paralax) is less hassle than the AO type but generally costs more..

Leapers Accushots are actually re-branded A.G.S. SWATS and cost around half the price.. Good value for the money. (hands off the one Maverick is selling please!)
    Going higher.. Bushnell Elite 3200 http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...light=bushnell have quality optics and the 4200 range better again.

Give us a few pointers?

not a clue about budget....... will part with a fair sized wedge of cash if the right one comes along when i'm ready for it but the cheaper the better as it leaves me more cash for a second pcp (hopefully). mag and paralax don't matter too much so long as i can hunt with it from 10m out to about 70m (will be uprating it to fac if the ticket comes through )

bushnell 3200 range....... wheres the best place to have a look at the variations?

and what about the leupold clones? will they have better glass than my tasco? (its a proper one not an ebáy knock off!)

re-scopes

The Falcon range at BAR are said to be decent, ZOS (Barska) are good budget scopes with features from scopes in far higher price brackets. Google them..
    Let me know what you are considering..
    Hope this helps,
    Paul

Burts.22 Guest
    Don't spend any money on cheap scopes and certainly stay away from Leupold clones!
    A decent scope don't come cheap but will last a lifetime.
    Any Bushnell, 3200 or 4200 Series, depending on the purpose, will be perfect, either hunting, HFT or FT. Take care with the new Bushnell side wheel scope, if you are shooting beyond 25 yards, they are allright, but in HFT/FT you don't get a clear view at closer distances.
    Recently I have had the pleasure to shoot a rifle with a Lightstream scope, and for hunting it is very good. Not cheap either.
    I have spend loads of money on many scopes, and finally I use a Bushnell 4200 series.
    I should have bought that scope in the first place.
    And one other thing to remember, a good rifle and a good scope needs to be connected with good mounts.
    So do your self a favour and buy a good one and stick with it!

Happy landings,
    Burts.22