Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.5-10x40 leup clone

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...

3.5-10x40 leup clone

well i got hold of one of these today so just a quick first impression review ,
    first it looks great , all the marking are very clearly printed and the matt tube finish is also very good no blemishes that i can see,
    looking through the scope against a white wall , still looks nice and white ,(you would be surprised by how many that make it look yellow ) and also bright as well ,, as good as anything i have seen under £100 , better than the 3-9 42 nikko that i had before , now parallax , i have a home 7 meter range and also my club 25 meter range .
    with the side-wheel turned as low as it would go .a marked 20 meters , it was blurry . so i adjusted the end lens to get it into focus , ,,but then it would not focus at about 25 meters , so have got a happy medium , at 7 meters .i have it on 3.5 mag and get good focus , at 25 meters on about 8x mag with the side wheel turned full to infinity . this will not be an issue if you use you rifle at ranges at 20 meters and above.
    i have done some quick tests with the target turrets , after i got it zeroed, i cranked them up , down , left ,and right and then set them all back on zero , and it all lined up well , so a good start so far ,
    i will put more info in when i manage to get up my club and try it out at a longer range , also many thanks to PAT for the scope ..

edit i have sorted out the parralax now i can focus out to 50 meters at 10x mag , and at 3.5 mag i can still see a clear picture at 7 meters . click link below to see it on my rifle .
    Last edited by Aardys; 21-09-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    Getting Old

when you say 'clone' do you mean a copy? If so i did not know there was such a thing, big market for cigs and drink but i am not sure about optics, surely these must be of real poor quality (just like gigs and drink?)
    Me - .243 Browning, CZ .17Hornet, CZ .22LR silhouette, HW66 .17HMR Jagdmatch, Miroku MK70 12g G5, Browning Cynergy 28g Field. NGO & BASC Member.
    My Keeper - Revo 28g & Suzuki LT-80.

I've got one (also from Pat) atop my X2-R and it's very good for the money. It helped me to a personal best score last Saturday so I'm happy with it. I'll be even happier once I get the eyepiece focus sorted out - my fault, nothing to do with the scope. I have two minor niggles - the elevation turret clicks aren't nearly as crisp as the windage (I hope there's an adjustment for this) and it really needs a sunshade as the front element is quite close to the end of the scope. I'm very likely to order another one for my Sidewinder Compact.

Jonathan

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    surely these must be of real poor quality (?)
    shows you have never tried one then .
    i will stick my neck out here and say ,for the first time in the world of telescopic sights ,
    i think i have got more than i paid for
    acording to PAT thease are rated up to 308 cal .
    and maybe i should have used the term leupold type . as in simular in style and function . etc.it has not got the words leupold on it . so not a rip off copy
    Last edited by Aardys; 21-09-2006 at 12:53 PM.
    Getting Old

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    I also have one of these, it's a little beauty. I originaly bought it, a Bushnell 10x40 3200 and a Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmasters sidewheel and kept the Cloop and sold t'other two. However I have mates who also bought Cloops and say that they are cr@p. So it seems you have to be lucky to get a good one.
    Last edited by luddite; 21-09-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    However I have mates who also bought Cloops and say that they are cr@p. So it seems you have to be lucky to get a good one.
    mmn i wonder how they back up their claims ,
    tell us please ,
    Getting Old

Copy Leups

It is true that there is a huge variation in the quality of these scopes...

I have seen 3 different variants of the 3.5-10*40mm........And yes the quality can vary massively....It really is Russian roulette!

As Luddite said....if you get a good un then your luck really is in

I was told by china contact that the copies were being stopped due to successful lawsuit by Leupold......obviously not the case

The best by far is the 50mm Illuminated reticle........And its not an IR that lights up the whole tube - if you know what I mean -like AGS ect....
    Doe's dat dies are da lucky ones!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R7MK1 View Post
    It is true that there is a huge variation in the quality of these scopes...

I have seen 3 different variants of the 3.5-10*40mm........And yes the quality can vary massively....It really is Russian roulette!

As Luddite said....if you get a good un then your luck really is in

I was told by china contact that the copies were being stopped due to successful lawsuit by Leupold......obviously not the case

The best by far is the 50mm Illuminated reticle........And its not an IR that lights up the whole tube - if you know what I mean -like AGS ect....
    lucky ol me then
    as for the leupold lawsuit , it has not got the leupold name on it or the gold ring trade mark it is just similar to it , like some Timex watches that are similar in form to a Rolex divers watch . just similar in form and function
    if it had the Leupold name stamped on it and the gold ring etc ,then i would say it was bad news . but there are other scopes out there with a similar spec ,do we call them rip off's ?
    oh well just a thought, anyway mine works very well so
    i have noticed if you have anything Chinese on this forum it makes you very unpopular .
    Last edited by Aardys; 21-09-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    Getting Old

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Further to my last post the Cloop had superior resolution to the Bushnell 10x40 3200 and was almost equal to the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40. I plumped for the Cloop as the depth of field was much better than the Bushy when set on 8x and slightly better than the Nikon at the same mag. All had mil dot reticles.
    oldcliff if it's back up you're after I can't give you it as it was their opinion not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    oldcliff if it's back up you're after I can't give you it as it was their opinion not mine.
    no , not looking for any kind of back up ,
    just other owners thoughts thats all .

happy shooting
    Getting Old

Well i think the optics are good once the fucus is set as in cliffords post.

One thing that does worry me is the turrets moving as they are exposed,is there a way of locking them?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaisterboy View Post
    as in cliffords post.

there are few people in the world that would call me that
    everyone call me cliff unless they are mad with me, then i get
    C L I F F O R D
    Last edited by Aardys; 23-09-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    Getting Old

Kingplinker Guest
    I will say it again as I have said before , they are great value for money with a good finish and nice optics . I have a side wheel on mine too just to look poncy

Be careful though as some of these copies are cr@p ....... Pats ones are fine but the ones on that site are not so good apparently ?

One niggle I do have is that the turrets do move , when zero is acheived a lil bit of tape will cure that !

atvb

Dave

one thing that is beginning to bother me with this scope is the weight of it .
    my gun feels a little top heavy , maybe i will get used to it ,but every time i pick it up i notice it , somthing to keep in mind when you are concidering a scope of this size , not helped by it's 30mm tube either.
    i might buy that damned Leupold after all shh dont tell the wife
    Last edited by Aardys; 23-09-2006 at 04:43 PM.
    Getting Old

Most 30mm tube scopes are poxy heavy but the Cleupy is much lighter than, say, an EB 10x42.

Jonathan