Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Imbel (FN) FAL in .22lr

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by M4 Carbine View Post
    I'll dig the armourers manual out and try to come up with some suggestions for the trigger.

    Weaker hammer spring looks to be all you can do, the disconnector spring doesn't seem to contribute to the recocking force like it does in an AR
    I would buy 2 hammer springs, cut one down till it's starting to light strike, then cut the second one down not so far as the first. Keep the original as a spare.

    I would be cautious about removing any coils from the mainspring. You are messing with the breech timing and can run into problems with feeding the first round when cocking manually.
    I reckon you are right on inspecting the insides...I dont plan to mess with the mainspring but have ordered some spare hammer springs for experimentation purposes.....
    The stock has gone back for replacement and should be coming home over the next 2 days
    Gun control means using both hands.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,939
    ok..'messing' with hammer spring is now well advanced.
    I've obtained an original CF FAL hammer spring which is ~8mm longer than the .22lr one though the wire guage is identical. I've trimmed that 5mm below that of the .22lr hammer spring and the gun now cycles subsonics with a fair degree of reliability.
    I emptied a box of 50 remington subs with no jams
    50 RWS subs generated 3 'short strokes where the empty case was ejected afresh one chamberd but the hammer wasnt cocked. the gtouping was improved to less than a 10p peice at 25yds on rapid fire.
    50 eley match grouped inside a 5p peice at 25yds with no failures to chamber or cycle the hammer but a couple of failed case ejects (nipped in behind the breech block and jammed the hammer).
    the Winchester subs did the best overall with no failures and a nice consistent group
    I'll continue trialing with a few more boxes and make sure its sorted.
    Most importantly ...no light strikes in evidence

    Looking promising

    next job is to remove the flash hider and fit the SAK mod to see how quiet it is.

    That Flash hider is on bloody tight! got the right size spanner on it and not a hint of thinking about moving
    Last edited by urx; 03-01-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    Gun control means using both hands.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    1

    jason t

    hello, would you mind giving me details on the dealer you bought the fal from I am after one as have space on my ticket, cheers j

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Nr Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England
    Posts
    2,908
    This was posted in 2006
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

    http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/


    NRA Qualified RCO.

    "Do you lick the lid of life ?"

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by jason t View Post
    hello, would you mind giving me details on the dealer you bought the fal from I am after one as have space on my ticket, cheers j
    Sabre defence were the original importers of the .22 FAL. You could always give them a call but as far as I know they have stopped selling them.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,939
    I got the last one (except for the one they kept for themselves ;-)
    Gun control means using both hands.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Robertsbridge
    Posts
    517
    There was one on guntrader last week - but now gone...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2

    Imbel FAL

    Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    ok..'messing' with hammer spring is now well advanced.
    I've obtained an original CF FAL hammer spring which is ~8mm longer than the .22lr one though the wire guage is identical. I've trimmed that 5mm below that of the .22lr hammer spring and the gun now cycles subsonics with a fair degree of reliability.
    I emptied a box of 50 remington subs with no jams
    50 RWS subs generated 3 'short strokes where the empty case was ejected afresh one chamberd but the hammer wasnt cocked. the gtouping was improved to less than a 10p peice at 25yds on rapid fire.
    50 eley match grouped inside a 5p peice at 25yds with no failures to chamber or cycle the hammer but a couple of failed case ejects (nipped in behind the breech block and jammed the hammer).
    the Winchester subs did the best overall with no failures and a nice consistent group
    I'll continue trialing with a few more boxes and make sure its sorted.
    Most importantly ...no light strikes in evidence

    Looking promising

    next job is to remove the flash hider and fit the SAK mod to see how quiet it is.

    That Flash hider is on bloody tight! got the right size spanner on it and not a hint of thinking about moving
    Only 15 years too late to the show, but the FAL is reverse twist thread for the flash hider!

    I also have one of these in 22LR, a fixed stock version, serial 50008, it's a lovely rifle to shoot, do you still have yours?

    Kind Regards

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,939
    I do 😊
    Gun control means using both hands.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    1,090
    I never even knew these existed, then I saw this was from 2006 so effectively they don't, then I Googled them and found one sold yesterday at auction! I would so love one of these.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hertford
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by c.o.l.i.n.r View Post
    Only 15 years too late to the show, but the FAL is reverse twist thread for the flash hider!

    I also have one of these in 22LR, a fixed stock version, serial 50008, it's a lovely rifle to shoot, do you still have yours?

    Kind Regards
    50021 just sold at Bonhams yesterday for over £3500!
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,939
    Ill look up my serial no. and take a pic or two
    When it first arrived there was a deep gouge in the metal of the folding stock which was under the finish so obviously not an ‘ in transit’ issue
    The vendor was great and swapped out the stock no problem.

    I later heard that the imbel fals may have been remanufactured rather than truly new so who knows what might have caused that gouge……bullet strike perhaps? Who knows….
    Gun control means using both hands.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    50021 just sold at Bonhams yesterday for over £3500!
    Yes I know, I had a bid on it, went for £2800 + buyer premium of 27.5%, and then VAT on premium, RFD transfer etc.

    If i'd not already had one, I'd have paid that without flinching. As it happens I actually paid slightly more for mine (in mint condition though) and could not justify that amount for a nice to have second one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •