Thread: SILICONE OIL DAMAGE Part2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Would you like to sell me the remains of the gun?
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Would you like to sell me the remains of the gun?

My part tin of SILICONE OIL is up for grabs !

Sheeeeeesh.

B.

Thats a very cautionry tale mate . Not only has this cost you a lot of dough , you`re never going to be allowed to forget this by your shooting "buds".

Andy
    A wise man has something to say, a fool has to say something.

laity is offline Dumb “Platinum” Blonde
    Craig

I am very glad that this matter is sorted,i know this has caused some "ribbing" of sorts and that will not stop...for a very long time .
    Seems Ben is the "Man" and the part he played was top notch. Its always good to hear of a quality service and a decent bloke.

Long live Ben T and Son

laity
    Lots and lots of guns !

This might sound stupid & with nothing to loose.Could you flame the surfaces so as to burn off any oil on the metals.Maybe give it a wipe with petrol.With my fishing reels I drop the bearings in petrol/lighter fluid to clean the oil out.Otherwise coating all parts with a degreaser.Anything might be worth a try.Steve

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    You can get products for removing silicone, try your local car paint supliers.

sccs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    yea a bit of clutch/brake cleaner will get almost anything off.

thinners will also do a prety good job of most stuff.

i use nothing but molykote on my rapid.

There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Unfortunatly the products they sell don't remove it, it causes the problem called 'Fish Eyes' on new paint, they actually add more of it so that the whole paint job has it on!!

Once a paint gun has 'Fish Eyes' eliminator used in it it's !

There seems very little out there to remove silicon oil contamination from anything

Cheers
    Last edited by Snooper601; 13-12-2006 at 08:46 PM. Reason: My usual typos :(
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamesides View Post
    This might sound stupid & with nothing to loose.Could you flame the surfaces so as to burn off any oil on the metals.Maybe give it a wipe with petrol.With my fishing reels I drop the bearings in petrol/lighter fluid to clean the oil out.Otherwise coating all parts with a degreaser.Anything might be worth a try.Steve
    Its far to late for that, no degreaser will remove silicone oil either, its also imperviouse to the sort of heat that you can get to without damage to the action.
    I reamed polished and repeatedly degreased but after a few cycles it just starts all over again until the anodised and brass surfaces almost fuse together.
    Remember this was a brand new rifle and it was pretty well destroyed by this evil s**t which has no business being any where near anything mechanical.
    I am useing the unaffected parts for spares and have told the owner to write to the makers/distibutors to inform them of the damge to his rifle.

Ben