Just wanted to say a very big thank you to Ben Taylor

As you may recall I purchased a brand new air rifle from Ben Taylor & Son about four weeks ago, after having it for a week I applied a modest amount of Silicone Gun Oil to the metal surfaces of the rifle, I also put a few drops on the magazines and wiped it in with a rag. The next time I used the rifle after approximately 20 shots I noticed the action was stiff (I now believe the pellet probe had picked up some silicone oil from the magazine). I then applied a couple of drops to the cocking mechanism and a couple to the pellet probe which I believed to be stiff. I then fired 8 shots and noticed the action was now very stiff after only six more shots the whole action was seized solid.

I returned the rifle to Ben Taylor who recognised the damage was caused by the silicone oil, I found this very hard to believe however he assured me this was the case and the only thing we could do was to order new parts from the air rifle manufacturer in Sweden.

These parts were supplied this week and the rifle was thoroughly cleaned by Ben and reassembled. However, this oil seems to be almost impossible to remove once applied and despite a day of Ben’s best efforts the rifle is once again seized. Ben organised a demonstration this afternoon at his workshop which involved revolving a steel bar in his lathe and then winding another piece of steel against its side. With no lubrication at all the two pieces of steel slide together but once a few drops of silicone oil was applied the steel immediately started to be worn away in a very disturbing manner. Clear evidence if any were needed at the instant destructive ability of this oil on sliding metal surfaces.

On the reverse of the bottle there are two parts of the description I would like to bring your attention to.

“A light overall application gives lasting protection to all metal and wood surfaces of all guns.” This would seem a little inaccurate as it does NOT give lasting protection to all metal surfaces.

Secondly “Do not use alone as a lube between metal surfaces” this would indicate it can be used in conjunction with other lubricants, however in the case of my rifle and in our test this is also inaccurate. The silicone oil got under the grease on the rifle and the application of normal mineral oil to the steel in our experiment did not improve the situation.

I have now been left with no choice but to purchase another rifle from Ben Taylor which has left me many hundreds of pounds out of pocket not to mention the amount of Ben’s precious time in trying to repair the original rifle which has also cost him dearly.

Despite this Ben sold me the replacement rifle at a reduced rate which is something he didn’t have to do considering the grief and aggravation I have caused him, and so I post this for only two reasons.

So others may avoid such an expensive mistake.

And to thank Ben for his time, effort and kindness and for being an absolute top bloke throughout . If your looking for absolute first class service not to mention top notch kit give him a go you won’t be disappointed.

ATB Craig.