Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SILICONE OIL DAMAGE Part2

craigw Guest

SILICONE OIL DAMAGE Part2

Just wanted to say a very big thank you to Ben Taylor

As you may recall I purchased a brand new air rifle from Ben Taylor & Son about four weeks ago, after having it for a week I applied a modest amount of Silicone Gun Oil to the metal surfaces of the rifle, I also put a few drops on the magazines and wiped it in with a rag. The next time I used the rifle after approximately 20 shots I noticed the action was stiff (I now believe the pellet probe had picked up some silicone oil from the magazine). I then applied a couple of drops to the cocking mechanism and a couple to the pellet probe which I believed to be stiff. I then fired 8 shots and noticed the action was now very stiff after only six more shots the whole action was seized solid.

I returned the rifle to Ben Taylor who recognised the damage was caused by the silicone oil, I found this very hard to believe however he assured me this was the case and the only thing we could do was to order new parts from the air rifle manufacturer in Sweden.

These parts were supplied this week and the rifle was thoroughly cleaned by Ben and reassembled. However, this oil seems to be almost impossible to remove once applied and despite a day of Ben’s best efforts the rifle is once again seized. Ben organised a demonstration this afternoon at his workshop which involved revolving a steel bar in his lathe and then winding another piece of steel against its side. With no lubrication at all the two pieces of steel slide together but once a few drops of silicone oil was applied the steel immediately started to be worn away in a very disturbing manner. Clear evidence if any were needed at the instant destructive ability of this oil on sliding metal surfaces.

On the reverse of the bottle there are two parts of the description I would like to bring your attention to.

“A light overall application gives lasting protection to all metal and wood surfaces of all guns.” This would seem a little inaccurate as it does NOT give lasting protection to all metal surfaces.

Secondly “Do not use alone as a lube between metal surfaces” this would indicate it can be used in conjunction with other lubricants, however in the case of my rifle and in our test this is also inaccurate. The silicone oil got under the grease on the rifle and the application of normal mineral oil to the steel in our experiment did not improve the situation.

I have now been left with no choice but to purchase another rifle from Ben Taylor which has left me many hundreds of pounds out of pocket not to mention the amount of Ben’s precious time in trying to repair the original rifle which has also cost him dearly.

Despite this Ben sold me the replacement rifle at a reduced rate which is something he didn’t have to do considering the grief and aggravation I have caused him, and so I post this for only two reasons.

So others may avoid such an expensive mistake.

And to thank Ben for his time, effort and kindness and for being an absolute top bloke throughout . If your looking for absolute first class service not to mention top notch kit give him a go you won’t be disappointed.

ATB Craig.

bennyblanco Guest
    gutted for you mate

Ben and Daniel are top blokes when it comes to after sales care and i would recomend the shop to anyone.

you should do some pics of the damage to serve as a warning (and so we can have a )

ben

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Would you like to sell me the remains of the gun?
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Would you like to sell me the remains of the gun?

My part tin of SILICONE OIL is up for grabs !

Sheeeeeesh.

B.

Thats a very cautionry tale mate . Not only has this cost you a lot of dough , you`re never going to be allowed to forget this by your shooting "buds".

Andy
    A wise man has something to say, a fool has to say something.

laity is offline Dumb “Platinum” Blonde
    Craig

I am very glad that this matter is sorted,i know this has caused some "ribbing" of sorts and that will not stop...for a very long time .
    Seems Ben is the "Man" and the part he played was top notch. Its always good to hear of a quality service and a decent bloke.

Long live Ben T and Son

laity
    Lots and lots of guns !

This might sound stupid & with nothing to loose.Could you flame the surfaces so as to burn off any oil on the metals.Maybe give it a wipe with petrol.With my fishing reels I drop the bearings in petrol/lighter fluid to clean the oil out.Otherwise coating all parts with a degreaser.Anything might be worth a try.Steve

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    You can get products for removing silicone, try your local car paint supliers.

sccs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    yea a bit of clutch/brake cleaner will get almost anything off.

thinners will also do a prety good job of most stuff.

i use nothing but molykote on my rapid.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamesides View Post
    This might sound stupid & with nothing to loose.Could you flame the surfaces so as to burn off any oil on the metals.Maybe give it a wipe with petrol.With my fishing reels I drop the bearings in petrol/lighter fluid to clean the oil out.Otherwise coating all parts with a degreaser.Anything might be worth a try.Steve
    Its far to late for that, no degreaser will remove silicone oil either, its also imperviouse to the sort of heat that you can get to without damage to the action.
    I reamed polished and repeatedly degreased but after a few cycles it just starts all over again until the anodised and brass surfaces almost fuse together.
    Remember this was a brand new rifle and it was pretty well destroyed by this evil s**t which has no business being any where near anything mechanical.
    I am useing the unaffected parts for spares and have told the owner to write to the makers/distibutors to inform them of the damge to his rifle.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben

ben

perhaps you could tell us what oil you would advise us to use for wiping down our rifles.

i remember what oil you told me to use whilst in your shop one day.

atb ian
    theres another one for the pot !

laity is offline Dumb “Platinum” Blonde
    Ian

A very good point.

Laity
    Lots and lots of guns !

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben
    If I remember tomorrow I'll check what the sprayer's use at work, its specificaly designed to remove silicon from a surface to be sprayed, but I'm not sure how good it is for this aplication