Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SILICONE OIL DAMAGE Part2

As I posted in the original thread the following extract is from the Webley Spectre manual 'Do not apply lubrication to the air filler probe or the rifles air filler hole' also 'Use only mineral based oils such as Weboil(webleys oil) to lubricate the Spectre'.Now I use Abbey Gun & Rifle Oil.This is a light viscocity mineral oil with a powerful rust inhibitor additive(so it says on the can).I have been using this for a couple of years on a Cutlass for wiping the gun over & lightly oiling the cocking lever.Now should I bin it or keep on using it.Thanks,Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    If I remember tomorrow I'll check what the sprayer's use at work, its specificaly designed to remove silicon from a surface to be sprayed, but I'm not sure how good it is for this aplication
    WE USE SPIRIT WIPE PRIOR TO PAINTING BUT THAT ONLY REMOVES GREASE AND CONTAMINATES...SILICON IS HARD TO REMOVE AS YOU WILL JUST SPREAD IT AROUND ETC...THEY WAS A PRODUCT NAME I CANNOT REMEMBER THAT YOU PUT A DROP IN THE PAINT AND THAT WOULD REMOVE SILICON... FIH EYES ETC BUT IN TRUTH IT DID NOT BUT IT ONLY MADE ALL THE THE PAINT YOU MIXED ONE BIG HEAP OF SILICON WHICH WOULD INFEST YOUR FILTERS ETC

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben
    When it gets really hot it changes into silicon carbide, a popular abrasive. It also "creeps" along surfaces which is why you should not use it near electrical equipment, the heat of electrical arc converts it to carbide which then destroys relay (and switch) contacts.

fooknmissed Guest
    There should be a sticky about this subject,a mention about potential damage wouldn't hurt in the mags either,i cant imagine why 'Abbey' etc are still selling this stuff,have they no qualms at all?
    Ben Taylor did state last week that he'd contacted them about the dangers and had no joy
    Makes you wonder.

kenritz is offline I'll crack this 'British humour' thing, or die trying...
    I was told to use small amounts of silicone grease, applied to o rings and air fittings. This seems to be the safest way to keep o rings soft and not to cause desiling (explosions with HPA) Has this all changed now? Thank You and please reply!

Cheers Mates,

Ken

I mentioned this in the last 'Oil' thread
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...light=silicone

Abbey Gunlube SM50

Below was mentioned in the earlier thread on this subject

I have an Izzy 46M ssp and was concerned about the piston compression seal and breech seals being bone dry. As I wasn’t sure of the material used for these “rubbery looking” seals I didn’t wish to use a mineral based oil that might have attacked the properties of these seals and secondly mineral oils evaporate.

I contacted Abbey Supply Co Ltd and told them my problem and wanted to know if their SM50 product would be suitable. I was informed that SM50 is a blend (my guess 50:50) of Silicone Oil and Molybdenum Disulphide; that it contained no hydrocarbons.

Their advert on the label, “ GunLube SM50 is a high quality, long lasting lubricant suitable for use at high temperatures and high loads to eliminate wear. Recommended for airgun washers and piston rings firing pins, sears and triggers. Use in compression chambers, high load metal to metal areas and high temperatures. Shake well”.

(My assumption it is the Moly that really does the work and the silicone oil acts like an inert carrier and thins down the Moly).

Now I read that the testing done by Ben revealed that the silicone gets under the grease and that’s when the significant damage started.

I like others would like confirmation that this SM50 does exactly what it says on the 30ml dispenser bottle.

To have to shake the contents would in my mind suggest that the blend is not a homogeneous one and thus separates out possibly after being applied?

I do not relish completely stripping down an expensive new pistol.

So should I also throw away the Bisley Silcone Cloth which states

"Ideal for cleaning and protecting: Guns, knives, binocular and scope lenses, tools golf clubs, cycles etc." ?

I use this to wipe over all the external surfaces.

Steve
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Ben

Would cleaning the items in an ultrasonic cleaner using a liquid such as carbon tetra chloride work?

Cam

So what use does silicone oil have where airguns are concerned?
    I remember seeing an aerosol tin of spray oil?
    advertised in the mags years ago.
    Came with a plastic straw for extra probing /spraying
    applications....

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben
    Dont know as much as you ben, but we had certain silicone lubricants in the mob for the aircraft...they had very specific uses and very dire warnings, which makes sense.

The only silicon oil I own is for my CO2 seals, I have not used a silicone cloth in years, favouring my oily bit of boxer shorts for a wipe down.....

To the chap that suffered this problem, gutted for you mate.

I had a similar seizure years ago when I used spray PTFE on the swashplate of a model heli. It just dries and stuck, luckily I noticed the problem, but I can imagine your frustration.

Given that these things may be sold to first time gun buyers, you really do have to question that wording. I only know about it from here as regards guns, so there you go.

Glad it turned out ok in the end apart from the loss of cash, top bloke Ben, never met him but he always helps where he can

As regards your mates never letting you forget it, brave and generous move putting it down on here. It is always better to learn from someone elses mistakes....

There but for the grace of god and a piece of string eh

Cheers, Chris B.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Another great result from Ben T ... I'll never get silicon oil anywhere near my gun. Great thread. I just use good old fashioned "Airgun Oil" for wiping down my gun (incidentally, they haven't changed the design of the bottle for 30 years!)
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Quote Originally Posted by kenritz View Post
    I was told to use small amounts of silicone grease, applied to o rings and air fittings. This seems to be the safest way to keep o rings soft and not to cause desiling (explosions with HPA) Has this all changed now? Thank You and please reply!

Cheers Mates,

Ken
    All dive O seals are supposed to be lubed with silicone grease but if it gets near anything mechanical it can do damage.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    Ben

Would cleaning the items in an ultrasonic cleaner using a liquid such as carbon tetra chloride work?

Cam
    I have found nothing degreaser wise that removes it and have only been able to remove it by repeated surface grinding (Yamaha brake discs)

Ben

Acetone should work on silicone oil, it works on silicone grease. Nail varnish remover is usually a handy source, usually mixed 50/50 water, not good on plastic. If you want I can do some trials here using a range of chemicals.