Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Essencial Scopes

AirArmsDavid Guest

BSA Essencial Scopes

I started off with the BSA Essencial (note spelling!) 6-24x50AO http://www.bsaguns.co.uk/?ID=53&ProductID=638 and it has bright clear optics, accurate PX, and closer 'mil' dots which are ideal, both for accurate POI calculation and for bracketing targets for rangefinding in HFT.

Just divide the kill zone diameter by the number of dots across and multiply by two and you have the yardage. This only works on 11x mag but that's ideal for HFT. (or 12x exactly if you measure distance in metres).
    For instance, if you're aiming at a 40mm kill zone and, say, three dots cover its diameter, divide 40 by 3 then multiply by 2, and it's 27 yards away or if a 25mm kill zone is 2 dots across, divide by 2, multiply by 2, and it's 25 yards away.

Rather than the 6-24x50, the 4-12x44AO would be ideal for HFT as it's lighter, has better depth of field so things far and near stay more in focus as you can't adjust that in HFT, and max mag is often 12x in HFT anyway.
    I tend not to adjust my 6-24 over 11x mag anyway as all my POI's would shift!

At 11x mag you can easily see where you've put a pellet in a paper target up to 40yards.

My Hawke SR6 is good too but it's unusual reticle means you either love it or hate it - I love mine but it retails at £140.

The BSA 6-24 was £80+post from BAR as part of my Pro Sport kit and two weeks ago I bought the 4-12x44AO again from BAR and LLoyd did it for £60+£5 post. Used it for the first time last Saturday and did a 58/60 with the Pro Sport!

Don't underrate them and think "that's too cheap" - they're a really excellent bit of kit!

Does it white out at the high mags?
    ATB,
    yana

Very informative post David.
    Just one question, what diameter is the tube?

they are 25mm tubes..
    a friend of mine has one these on his rapid,and they are a fine optic,very clear and paralax well,good scope for the money..

"THE OAKS"( mile oak shooting club)
    www.mileoakshootingclub.co.uk
    www.airgunadvice.net

laity is offline Dumb “Platinum” Blonde
    Tried one last night and could not believe how good it was for the money..I use a Hawke SR and love it ..BUT the BSA scope was amazing , clear bright optics and for the money..out of this world. I am so surprised that more people dont use these.

Outsanding

LAity
    Lots and lots of guns !

Darren Petts Guest
    I agree that for the money the optics are better than you should expect and the close dots very useful but the ret is easily lost in dark places as the dots are physically small. Dashes may have been better. Still a scope worth considering though.

I have just bought the 4-12 by 44 essential scope, £80. I have some expensive Bushnell 4200 scopes and some Leupold scopes but for £80 I think the BSA is outstanding value for money.

Nice and clear, and a good depth of field.

You really need to adjust the ocular lens (nearest the eye) to get the reticule right for personal preferece as the mil dots are a little small. They may be difficult to see in a dark conditions.

If you are comfortable to shoot on 8 mag then this is a cracking budget HFT scope.

NeilB

I have the 3-9 X32 AO duplex version on my rapid. It’s a cracking scope for hunting, very good optics for the money. I have used it on HFT courses and just racked up a 71 out of 80 with it. If you have a heavy rifle and you want to lighten the load you won’t go far wrong for £50.

I have the 4-12x44AO, and agree about the quality of the optics.

However I find the mildots too small to be of much use.

With the ocular lens adjusted to suit my vision the dots are barely visible, in anything but good light I cannot see them.

A clear case of look before you buy, as I now have to sell mine.

I use the 6-24-50 on my CZ452 in .17HMR. A very clear optic when compared to other brands. When i was shoping around i found that scopes twice the BSA's value to be very poor.

I was that impressed i even bought "My Old Man" (xverminate2)one for a christmas present from Blackpool A.R, they had a cracking deal on there Fleabay Site at almost half the price of other retailers.

See Pics, We Have fitted Hawk Sun Tubes.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...dDECJAN002.jpg

Many Thanks

Justin.
    Last edited by Xverminate; 25-03-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Pics!
    HW80 Venom Lazaglide .20 = Rapid 7 MK1 .20 = Original Model 45 .177 = CZ452 American .17HMR = Mossberg 410 = GECO 12 Bore

Pics Added!!
    HW80 Venom Lazaglide .20 = Rapid 7 MK1 .20 = Original Model 45 .177 = CZ452 American .17HMR = Mossberg 410 = GECO 12 Bore

I agree on the 3-9 X32 AO duplex. Nice li'l hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkstone View Post
    The BSA Essencial 6-24x50 scope sounds really interesting, I am thinking of getting a scope of this type but does anyone know how it compares to the JSR equivelant model ?

I too would really like to know how they compare.
    Please.

snipperuk Guest
    just fitted the jaguar model 1.5-6x44ir 30mm body very nice optics

not impressed

Well i have just got the MD 4x12x44 AO. Optics seem nice and clear but thats as good as it gets. Everything else screams "budget". There are nasty sharp edges to the metalwork. When i used the eyepiece to focus on the reticle it showed up little "jaggies" between the mildots.. very poor imo. I took the eyepeice out about 2 turns during the focusing exercise and found it moved laterally noticeably. I touched it while looking through the scope and found considerable reticle movement occuring. This would probably be more of a problem on a springer?
    Would i recommend it or buy another? Unfortunately No.