Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smk 19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Kev

Hi Kev,
    Fast reply thanks for that.
    What sort of price was it? If you don't mind giving that information!
    The trouble is, will I get snubbed if I turned up a a Rifle club with the XS19?
    Are Chinese imported rifles really that Bad?
    I read that the SMK XS Super Grade Series Rifles are Checked at the UK Factory or whatever for quality ect before being distributed. Do you know if this is true?
    Why are these Daystate ect Rifles so Big? May be a Daft question but I'm only just starting out.
    Thanks Kev.
    Just Looking for a good cheap rifle that will get me out there and not get laughed at by these Daystate,Logon ect owners.
    You see where I'm coming from?
    Thank again.
    Tony..

Well for a start tony,there are quite a few 'British' guns
    on the market,with only a pin in the breech ,
    not a bolt as the smk19 has.
    I chose the 19 because it has open sights,as opposed to the carbine,or smk20.
    The gun shoots well,with no after twang,and if
    ''and not get laughed at by these Daystate,Logon ect owners''
    who will be laughing,if you apply yourself
    and out shoot gun kits costing maybe 10 times as much ?
    And a shot down a rabbits ear hole at 12ftlbs does the job
    just as well as any 'Rolls Royce' gun would do.
    Iv'e no time for snobbery,but i'm sure it won't be like that
    most shooters iv'e met are welcoming as it's a close knit community.
    You should get sorted out for about £110 gun inc nice scope ,mounts,pellets
    kev.

Most SMK rifles are rubbish - FACT! but the xs19 and xs20 are a considerable improvement over their cousins. Provided they are used over sensible distances, and by this I mean a maximum of 25 yards, they might have a useful role to play as cheap training/short range hunting rifles. Unlike the B2 and B4 variants, the xs19 and xs20's are safe - everything screws in securely and bits don't fall off when you fire them!! But, and it is a big but, I cant really see any reason to buy them when you look at the second hand alternative that is available for your £120.

If you buy a second hand rifle from the BBS, it's likely to have been well oiled and cared for, particularly if you buy from established members with a good reputation. Your £120 will buy you a rifle and scope combo that will MASSIVELY out perform any SMK rifle - you can pick up a HW95 or BSA Lightning or any other of a number of superior makes. These are serious rifles that are equally at home hunting out to 35/40 yards and targets beyond that. I recently purchased a HW97K on here for £150 posted and placed against the SMK XS20 that I own (and cost me £120 with scope) the 97K DESTROYS the SMK.

Do yourself a favour, if you love shooting air rifles you'll leave Chinese guns behind in time - spend your money wisely now and you won't regret that £120you spent on a second rate springer because the £120 will have gone most of the way toward paying for a quality British or German rifle that will last a lifetime.

Valid thought provoking post Davey.
    You see ,I have shot or owned most of the guns
    that are popular,
    I'm not going to drag any make down just for the sake of it,
    but,
    the Lightening xl I had was poorly finished,the breech was so tight
    to make up for the lack of an adjuster,after only 20 pellets
    it was shiny bare metal.
    The 2 hw97k's I had were not the usual hw standard,
    the first went back to HCC ,and the chap there admitted it had a prob
    and said I either live with it,
    it might get worse,or ignore it.
    I opted for (demanded) a different gun.
    Yes indeed s/h are an option
    and many are well looked after here,but if buying new
    there is a standard 12 month warranty on all 'new' goods,
    if it's going to go wrong,then i'm sure it will show signs of this within a year.
    As they say
    'you pays your money and take a chance' etc

Davey said quote
    I recently purchased a HW97K on here for £150 posted and placed against the SMK XS20 that I own (and cost me £120 with scope) the 97K DESTROYS the SMK''.

How does it,i'm sure by looking at the penetration tests Iv'e done
    my smk 19 is slightly more powerful.
    And for a 12ftilb air rifle,if shooting vermin,30/35 yards are max for me,
    on the grounds of a definite kill.
    Kev.
    Last edited by kevmar; 19-12-2006 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spell checker needed lol

Stick to detecting Kev !!!!!

Kev

Apologies for suggesting that you are a chinese gun fan because you have not owned any others! In fact, a lot of people love the chinese guns, particularly the yanks who work on them and tune them into sweet shooting rifles. If you like em, you stick to em - this sport is all about enjoying whatever gun or style of shooting you want to follow - all the best with your shooting mate!

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey K View Post
    Most SMK rifles are rubbish - FACT!

Do yourself a favour, if you love shooting air rifles you'll leave Chinese guns behind in time - spend your money wisely now and you won't regret that £120you spent on a second rate springer because the £120 will have gone most of the way toward paying for a quality British or German rifle that will last a lifetime.
    I do agree with you here, I have owned a 19-18 Deluxe, the QB78 and the 79, I didn't get on with them at all. I got them cheap though, £150 for all of them. I didn't like the 19's trigger, bluing, stock, sights, all of it really. The recoil was so bad I broke my scope (Hawke Sport HD MAP, I got another, they are really good).

I hated the 78 and 79, it took all of my effort to cock it quietly, stupid spring loaded bolt. Pull it up without holding onto it properly and it comes crashing back, load a pellet, then have a fight with it to get it to go forward again!

Safe to say, I am glad I got rid of it.

Edit: Don't have a go for my grammar today, I am not feeling to well, I can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post
    I do agree with you here, I have owned a 19-18 Deluxe, the QB78 and the 79, I didn't get on with them at all. I got them cheap though, £150 for all of them. I didn't like the 19's trigger, bluing, stock, sights, all of it really. The recoil was so bad I broke my scope (Hawke Sport HD MAP, I got another, they are really good).

I hated the 78 and 79, it took all of my effort to cock it quietly, stupid spring loaded bolt. Pull it up without holding onto it properly and it comes crashing back, load a pellet, then have a fight with it to get it to go forward again!

Safe to say, I am glad I got rid of it.

Edit: Don't have a go for my grammar today, I am not feeling to well, I can't help it.

They are this horrible until you do something with them. Mine now cocks very near silent with no effort at all, even with a shimmed hammer spring.

The 19 is a great gun but bears all the same problems with all SMK guns. Poor trigger, poor lubrication, average bluing. Saying this the XS ranges do tend to have very nice stocks. They are very very lively and like all chinese guns need some work to smooth them out.

Lewis
    Air Arms S400 Carbine .177 - JSR 3-9x40IR p/x

QB78 Deluxe .177 - Simmons 8 point 3-9x40

Quote Originally Posted by smsguitarist View Post
    They are this horrible until you do something with them. Mine now cocks very near silent with no effort at all, even with a shimmed hammer spring.

The 19 is a great gun but bears all the same problems with all SMK guns. Poor trigger, poor lubrication, average bluing. Saying this the XS ranges do tend to have very nice stocks. They are very very lively and like all chinese guns need some work to smooth them out.

Lewis
    But then again you would say that owning two SMK. LOL
    Is it worth messing about with them, you might aswell buy the genuine item than messing around with a cheap copy?

Here's my B26-2, it was bought in Texas, USA, and delivered to my door for £116. I have lube tuned it, and fitted a Maccari tuning kit. I then shortened and recrowned the barrel, added a bit of bling, and it now shoots vey accurately at 11.28ft/lbs.

PS. It was putting out 16+ft/lbs when I got it.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/BAMB26-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Davey K View Post
    MMost SMK rifles are rubbish - FACT! but the xs19 and xs20 are a considerable improvement over their cousins. Provided they are used over sensible distances, and by this I mean a maximum of 25 yards, they might have a useful role to play as cheap training/short range hunting rifles. Unlike the B2 and B4 variants, the xs19 and xs20's are safe - everything screws in securely and bits don't fall off when you fire them!! But, and it is a big but, I cant really see any reason to buy them when you look at the second hand alternative that is available for your £120.

If you buy a second hand rifle from the BBS, it's likely to have been well oiled and cared for, particularly if you buy from established members with a good reputation. Your £120 will buy you a rifle and scope combo that will MASSIVELY out perform any SMK rifle - you can pick up a HW95 or BSA Lightning or any other of a number of superior makes. These are serious rifles that are equally at home hunting out to 35/40 yards and targets beyond that. I recently purchased a HW97K on here for £150 posted and placed against the SMK XS20 that I own (and cost me £120 with scope) the 97K DESTROYS the SMK.

You obviously have not shot the XS38 or 41 otherwise your opinion would be different. The 38 was as accurate as any German gun that it was a clone of and if it had not been for the poor trigger it would have been excellent.
    The 41 which is a clone of the TX is another fine piece. If like any other new gun straight out of the box, probably twangy, poor trigger adjustment and in need of a strip down to correctly lube it then it is no different, however, after a minor fettle this gun turns into something else. Its trigger is superb, it fires without twang and is consistently accurate from 25 out to 55 yds and all this for under £200 new. Mine came to me second hand and after fitting a cut down spring, a plastic piston liner, refitting the original spring guide and top hat with moly lube I could not believe how smooth it had become. I don't have a TX but that must be some hell of a gun if it is better than the 41.
    Prior to having experience with the two SMK's I had a poor opinion of Chinese guns as Dianas were my thing but that attitude has changed as Chinese guns are getting better and like the Japanese with motorcycles there will come a day when they become equal to any other quality gun.

Gents, the bulk of these threads are 10 years old and tbh, the Chinese have improved since then. I always enjoy working on xs19's as you'll get improvement for your efforts (I currently own 3!). If anyone's interested, Pellpax are doing them in the January sale for £60 + delivery (which for me was £23). What's not to like

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Gents, the bulk of these threads are 10 years old and tbh, the Chinese have improved since then. I always enjoy working on xs19's as you'll get improvement for your efforts (I currently own 3!). If anyone's interested, Pellpax are doing them in the January sale for £60 + delivery (which for me was £23). What's not to like
    Well, at £60 thought I'd give one a try.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Well, at £60 thought I'd give one a try.

Bru
    Likewise...