Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Smk 19

Quote Originally Posted by gone fishing View Post
    I have got a smk xs19. I find it fine for hunting. Does anybody know where I can get a silencer for it and how to remove the foresight to attach it?
    When I removed my front sight from SMK 19 I used a adjustable wrench, wrapped masking tape around jaws then adjusted it down to just slightly larger than barrel. Put it over barrel (with tape to stop scratching and slide it up against fore sight. Then tap wrench against fore sight with light hammer and it will slide straight off

I have owned my 19 for 2 months now, I bought it new which came with a 4-32 scope, suppressor and shortened barrel. To start with it was quite noisy to cock and shoot but after a strip down, debur, polish and lube its now alot smoother to cock, quiter to shoot and more accurate. Giving the barrel a recrown and countersinking the the breach end sorted out the pellet shaving. Fitting a WWII trigger from welshwilly has completely changed the characteristics of the gun though and all that there is left to do is fit a tuning kit and it will be a perfect hunting gun for bargain price. I haven't come across a gun for the same price that fills everything that needs to make a great all rounder.

Better then you think

I own a Air Airms S400 Classic and Air Arms TX200, and have owned many SMK rifles as well for HFT. The SMK from the box are pretty rough, but with a little work can be a great gun.

I had a XS19 that had been work on and to be really honest shoot as well as my AA TX200 upto 25 yards, the only difference is from 30 to 45 yards, as the recoile on the lighter XS19 made it less accurate, this can be easily solved by adding some lead to the gun.

For the money there really is not other choice for the quality or accuracy.
    Air Arms TX200

Quote Originally Posted by kevmar View Post
    smk 19

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/dembo/B19.jpg

Iv'e owned and shot ,
    well put it this way,a lot of guns ,bla bla ,,,etc
    and to be honest,(after finding an adjuster screw) under the trigger return spring (thanks for that)the trigger is better,not the best,but better.
    The rifle is well made,solid,full sized,and full power ,with a capital full.
    and has an adjustable breech jaw,which is a nice touch.
    Iv'e been shooting string after string of 6 shot one holers at 15 yards
    ok not far,but the consistency is there.
    I hope to extend that at farm tommorow,and try it on the feral pigeons.
    It was at first a bit dry feeling on cocking,
    but that's now sorted,and it's nice and silky.
    Yes I know where these are made,but as I say ,it really is worth giving one a try.
    If the trigger was a tiny bit better,it would beat imho a lot of break barrel springers ,but at the price it is,it probably already does.
    Kev.
    Never heard of a gun called bla bla,,,etc!!!
    Seriously though I had one of these good gun just let down by trigger otherwise well made and good value. Even better If you do trigger and give the internals a good polish up. Plenty of info on improving these guns on on Uk Chinese airgun forum

I'm always astonished that folks associate brand with effective accuracy at a certain distance.

Last time I looked, provided the gun is functioning correctly and decent pellets are available, that is down to the shooter...

I currently own a Logun PCP, Weihrauch springers x7, Hatsan (PCP and springer), BSA (several), etc, etc,. and one of two SMK XS19's that I bought last year.

I tuned both and fitted a Welsh Willy kit and trigger to one, and I can print 5p size groups at 30 metres kneeling or sitting. Can't do that standing but that's because I'm rubbish at standing shots. Note, I am rubbish at standing shots - given that the gun can regularly print 5p groups at that range in may ham fisted mits, a better shot could be reasonably expected to tighten that group up still further or extend the same group out to a greater distance.

My XS19 has become my favourite garden gun for pigeons, rabbits and the odd rat that tries its luck, and it's a brilliant tool for this purpose.

Is it as well engineered as more expensive guns ?

No.

Do I feel that I wasted my money on it ?

Definitely not.

Could I have bought into it and stopped there without ever having to jump ship to a different manufacturer ?

Of course, but that's where want and need come into play, and what we want is rarely only what we need.

I think the SMK XS19 offers an awful lot, being light, easy to cock and load, easy to shoot (especially with the Welsh Willy trigger upgrade which really does transform the gun) and it has accuracy to spare at whatever range you can effectively use the gun at.

Despite lots of alternatives, I reach for it regularly and thoroughly enjoy owning and shooting it.

I can't print noticeably better groups with my Weihrauch springers than with the SMK, but that's because I am the limiting factor, not the kit.

Folks ought to remember that instead of continuously perpetuating the somewhat ridiculous myth that brand X is, by definition, incapable.

I'll get my coat...

Quote Originally Posted by kevmar View Post
    Hiya Tony,
    []the thing is a lot of people
    will have preconceived ideas of what they (far eastern) guns are like
    without actually having held/used one[/
    U].
    I'm taking to it,the build quality is very good
    and as I say,they are as powerfull as anything else
    on the market (within the 12 ft1b limit) this one is certainly above 11 and a half,and very accurate,
    going by the grouping.
    A good gun,with no hidden rubbishy bits
    solid,and the trigger is it's only achilles heel,
    just a bit on the heavy side,but usable.
    The breech locks up with a healthy clunk.
    If you want to know where I got it,and the deal I got
    for a full kit,
    pm me.
    Kev.
    You are quite correct about comments from shooters who have no experience of the gun or guns in question. Usually the worthless comments are about Chinese guns with Spanish stuff running a close second. There are various Chinese and Spanish models that can be fettled without breaking the bank into something that will match any British or German gun in performance. You will note I said performance only, both types of gun do not have the same build quality as their competitors, however, that is changing especially with the Chinese models. I have worked on the SMKXs38 and various Gamo underlevers and was more than suprised at their performance on the range. It's just a matter of time until the Chinese produce a gun that will equal or exceed our better models at an affordable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey K View Post
    MMost SMK rifles are rubbish - FACT! but the xs19 and xs20 are a considerable improvement over their cousins. Provided they are used over sensible distances, and by this I mean a maximum of 25 yards, they might have a useful role to play as cheap training/short range hunting rifles. Unlike the B2 and B4 variants, the xs19 and xs20's are safe - everything screws in securely and bits don't fall off when you fire them!! But, and it is a big but, I cant really see any reason to buy them when you look at the second hand alternative that is available for your £120.

If you buy a second hand rifle from the BBS, it's likely to have been well oiled and cared for, particularly if you buy from established members with a good reputation. Your £120 will buy you a rifle and scope combo that will MASSIVELY out perform any SMK rifle - you can pick up a HW95 or BSA Lightning or any other of a number of superior makes. These are serious rifles that are equally at home hunting out to 35/40 yards and targets beyond that. I recently purchased a HW97K on here for £150 posted and placed against the SMK XS20 that I own (and cost me £120 with scope) the 97K DESTROYS the SMK.

Do yourself a favour, if you love shooting air rifles you'll leave Chinese guns behind in time - spend your money wisely now and you won't regret that £120you spent on a second rate springer because the £120 will have gone most of the way toward paying for a quality British or German rifle that will last a lifetime.
    You obviously have not shot the XS38 or 41 otherwise your opinion would be different. The 38 was as accurate as any German gun that it was a clone of and if it had not been for the poor trigger it would have been excellent.
    The 41 which is a clone of the TX is another fine piece. If like any other new gun straight out of the box, probably twangy, poor trigger adjustment and in need of a strip down to correctly lube it then it is no different, however, after a minor fettle this gun turns into something else. Its trigger is superb, it fires without twang and is consistently accurate from 25 out to 55 yds and all this for under £200 new. Mine came to me second hand and after fitting a cut down spring, a plastic piston liner, refitting the original spring guide and top hat with moly lube I could not believe how smooth it had become. I don't have a TX but that must be some hell of a gun if it is better than the 41.
    Prior to having experience with the two SMK's I had a poor opinion of Chinese guns as Dianas were my thing but that attitude has changed as Chinese guns are getting better and like the Japanese with motorcycles there will come a day when they become equal to any other quality gun.

Gents, the bulk of these threads are 10 years old and tbh, the Chinese have improved since then. I always enjoy working on xs19's as you'll get improvement for your efforts (I currently own 3!). If anyone's interested, Pellpax are doing them in the January sale for £60 + delivery (which for me was £23). What's not to like

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Gents, the bulk of these threads are 10 years old and tbh, the Chinese have improved since then. I always enjoy working on xs19's as you'll get improvement for your efforts (I currently own 3!). If anyone's interested, Pellpax are doing them in the January sale for £60 + delivery (which for me was £23). What's not to like
    Well, at £60 thought I'd give one a try.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Well, at £60 thought I'd give one a try.

Bru
    Likewise...

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Likewise...
    Mine's due for delivery Sunday. Been watching a test of the then £150 Smk vs an £400 HW80(?) about 3 years ago on youtube, interesting.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Mine's due for delivery Sunday. Been watching a test of the then £150 Smk vs an £400 HW80(?) about 3 years ago on youtube, interesting.

Bru

Yep. Same here (bearing in mind you're about a half hour away from me). Bang goes the morning lie-in.

Most of these ancient threads do not reflect a true picture of what the Chinese presently produce. Things have moved on big time since the introduction of the Chinese Lion and we now have several rifles that are beginning to equal some of the European imports in performance. In very recent times I have had a Xs38 purchased as a project gun and if it had not been for the poor trigger that was beyond improvement it would have been an excellent gun as it was so accurate. Very recently I have acquired an Xs41, a gun I have been after for around a year, initial findings are that this gun can do everything the gun it clones at under a quarter of the price of the gun it clones. When I have finished fettling it I will post a full review, presently it is producing just under the limit and is exceptionally smooth and accurate out to 55yds. Its an improvement on the 38 as it has a trigger that equals some of the better ones in being so smooth and that's without any polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4end View Post
    Most of these ancient threads do not reflect a true picture of what the Chinese presently produce. Things have moved on big time since the introduction of the Chinese Lion and we now have several rifles that are beginning to equal some of the European imports in performance. In very recent times I have had a Xs38 purchased as a project gun and if it had not been for the poor trigger that was beyond improvement it would have been an excellent gun as it was so accurate. Very recently I have acquired a, a gun I have been after for around a year, initial findings are that this gun can do everything the gun it clones at under a quarter of the price of the gun it clones. When I have finished fettling it I will post a full review, presently it is producing just under the limit and is exceptionally smooth and accurate out to 55yds. Its an improvement on the 38 as it has a trigger that equals some of the better ones in being so smooth and that's without any polishing.
    I will be interested to see your review. Especially if the XS19 impresses!

ATB

Bru

Just delivered

Will be interesting to see what it's like, but may be a few days before I get round to it.